• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extended Spawn Universe

7 posts in this topic

So Todd McFarlane announced on his Instagram(?) yesterday about his plans to create a Spawn Universe! The premier issue, Spawn's Universe is launching ~June which will be the platform for 3 new books: King Spawn, Gunslinger Spawn, and The Scorched. According to Todd McFarlane, this is a "20 year plan" so it seems as if he's attempting to pull off his own version of an MCU/DCEU. Even Donny Cates (among others) is confirmed to be working on some of the new Spawn material.

No movie announcement or news unfortunately but as a Spawn fan it has me excited.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/todd-mcfarlane-spawn-universe-comics-005335648.html

Just watched the video on Facebook and it looks like he’s added a lot of talent on board including Arthur Adams and J Scott Campbell among others to get things in gear. It looks like he’s taking a page from the Spiderverse but I’m all for it. Some of the images posted look amazing

Hopefully the writing will be good. I have usually been a fan of all the different artist and styles of art in the Spawn books. Some of the stories lines have been a little weak drawn out or fragmented, with that being said some of the stand alone stories have been great (like 179).  I hope McFarlane can keep this pulled together and get it rolling. I will be preordering these when they are offered (thumbsu

I still want the new Spawn movie hopefully that's still creeping forward haven't heard any updates for a bit though.

I have hope they will be good, but not a ton of faith.  We had a bunch of ancillary titles in the past and it wasn't that great (though I loved Sam & Twitch).

Definitely getting bored w/ the tired narrative that he's had this all planned out for decades.  

Reality is, fans made him aware of how much they want to see some of the other Spawns (Gunslinger, Medieval, Mandarin, etc).  Not a shock that the new titles are around them.

Patrick

Read between the lines: Todd saw Spawn Comic sales go up, so he's increasing the number of books (and variants I assume) to milk that cow for all its worth.

It really is a shame he can't get better writers or story ideas to go with some of the great art that's been a part of this books history. 

Who knows? Maybe Donny Cates will help inspire something. The Spawn comic has lived off its 'kool' reputation for almost 30 years... imagine if McFarlane hadn't screwed over Neil Gaiman? He maybe could've had him write the book consistently as a unique superhero/supernatural storyline with amazing artwork all this time... and think of all the writers who will NEVER work for him because of what he did to Neil...