• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gold Key Star Trek #1 Club
2 2

56 posts in this topic

Nice :cloud9:

Star Trek #1 is one of the few issues in the run that doesn't have any variations if you didn't already know - cool site here, lists out all the types if you ever decide to go mad, B2D:

https://www.startrekcomics.info/art/goldkeywhitmanall.html

Spock.gif.03480c874ecb2f8d977d8b7c803bedea.gif

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Nice :cloud9:

Star Trek #1 is one of the few issues in the run that doesn't have any variations if you didn't already know - cool site here, lists out all the types if you ever decide to go mad, B2D:

https://www.startrekcomics.info/art/goldkeywhitmanall.html

Spock.gif.03480c874ecb2f8d977d8b7c803bedea.gif

Yet in the post below yours, the CGC label says "Back Cover Variant"  lol

32 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I didn't know there were variants to the #1.  So the Kirk photo spread is the non-variant back. Interesting.  

It's been discussed before on the Boards.  There's doubt that a second version of #1 exists.

This is the version that it seems every copy has:

7441971%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

Edited by namisgr

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It's been discussed before on the Boards.  There's doubt that a second version of #1 exists.

This is the version that it seems every copy has:

7441971%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=ur

Thanks, but now I'm confused.  Your nice 9.0 above is a "back cover variant" to the #1.   Doesn't that remove any doubt about whether a second version of #1 exists?   What does the back of your 9.0 above look like?  

7 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Thanks, but now I'm confused.  Your nice 9.0 above is a "back cover variant" to the #1.   Doesn't that remove any doubt about whether a second version of #1 exists?   What does the back of your 9.0 above look like?  

The back of my #1 looks like the back cover I posted, which is the 9.6 Twin Cities copy auctioned originally by Heritage.  In the earlier board discussion, no one produced an example of a copy with a different back cover.

8 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

There is only one version of issue number 1. Unless a non-photo version has escaped every Star Trek collector ever, CGC have made a labeling error. 

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The back of my #1 looks like the back cover I posted, which is the 9.6 Twin Cities copy auctioned originally by Heritage.  In the earlier board discussion, no one produced an example of a copy with a different back cover.

Than what is this?  It is the back of a "Star Trek #1 Back Cover Variant" sold on HA.

lf?set=path%5B9%2F3%2F7%2F6%2F9376691%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/science-fiction/star-trek-1-back-cover-variant-signed-by-leonard-nimoy-gold-key-1967-cgc-signature-series-vg-45-cream-to-off-white-pages-total-2/a/121302-14301.s

Edited by Pantodude

Uh, it appears to be an event program from 2009, including characters from Star Trek follow-on programs that aired well after 1967, the publication date of Star Trek #1 from Gold Key.  The auction you linked was for two items, the Gold Key #1 and the 2009 event program you posted.  

What am I missing here?  (shrug)

Edited by namisgr

It's not the scan of the back cover of the comic.  Read the auction description.  Besides, one brief glance should tell you that a 2009 event program with characters from The Next Generation couldn't possibly have been published as a back cover in 1967.  Sheesh.

23 minutes ago, namisgr said:

What am I missing here?  (shrug)

I had not looked at the event cover closely!  my bad.  Still, interesting that the event cover exists!   I happen to love the new crew, too.  My only question now is whether the consensus is that ST#1 has only one version.  I see now that you confirmed that your "Back Variant Cover" 9.0 above has the same Kirk photo back everyone is familiar with.  Thank you!  

Edited by Pantodude

34 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It's not the scan of the back cover of the comic.  Read the auction description.  Besides, one brief glance should tell you that a 2009 event program with characters from The Next Generation couldn't possibly have been published as a back cover in 1967.  Sheesh.

Time travel, eh...

Oh, hang on, That was Doctor Who wasn't it.

32 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I had not looked at the event cover closely!  my bad.  Still, interesting that the event cover exists!   I happen to love the new crew, too.  My only question now is whether the consensus is that ST#1 has only one version.  I see now that you confirmed that your "Back Variant Cover" 9.0 above has the same Kirk photo back everyone is familiar with.  Thank you!  

See the confusion CGC spread in the hobby, with their incorrect labels.... 9_9

15 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

See the confusion CGC spread in the hobby, with their incorrect labels.... 9_9

I think it's a carryover from an error made in the Overstreet guide.

Edit: I take it back.  I checked the guides I have that pre-date the advent of CGC, and they say nothing about any variant back cover.

Edited by namisgr