• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

x-men #1, low grade . CGC with a signature new price SOLD
4 4

46 posts in this topic

I've had this book for a while, about 10 years ago (maybe more) I had it signed by Stan Lee through Desert Winds.  I did not have it slabbed at the time because I had no intention of selling it.

A few years ago, I had it slabbed but did not have it pressed. It has lots of creases, and it appears the book is now missing the back cover.  Pages are nice and supple and so is the cover. When I sent it in, I sent it with whatever document I had gotten back with the book, thinking to keep it all together, that document must have been discarded and since I was planning on giving the book to my son in law, I never followed up. Turns out that since my daughter and her husband are doing some construction, they would appreciate the money more than the book right now, so I offered to see if I could sell it for them.

I have the book, I will package and mail it. Payment is due within 3 days unless we have made other arrangements before a :takeit:is posted.

First :takeit:wins here or in a pm, if I can't figure out which is first, tie goes to the one on the thread.

Payment by PP, Check, MO or Zelle pay.

Postage is included in the U.S., if you are out of the U.S., I'd charge the difference between U.S. shipping and wherever you happen to be.

I take returns on anything for any reason, but you must notify me within 3 days of receipt and since the book is slabbed, return fees are the buyer's responsibility.

Edited by skypinkblu
Because the book is missing the back cover, which I was not aware of.

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I would think it graded a .5 because the back cover is missing unless this is the wrong back cover scan

You know Bob, I sent it with both halves of the cover, but if that is the case, I'm going to close the thread and double check. I never noticed 

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

You know Bob, I sent it with both halves of the cover, but if that is the case, I'm going to close the thread and double check. I never noticed 

If it had been missing when graded, one would think the label would have noted that. I wonder if it got separated from the rest of the book when waiting for encapsulation :frown:

Just now, rjpb said:

If it had been missing when graded, one would think the label would have noted that. I wonder if it got separated from the rest of the book when waiting for encapsulation :frown:

I can't believe I didn't realize it was not in the capsule...I know it was complete when I sent it. I don't think the notes said it was missing either, but it doesn't make a difference, the cover is not there.

@blazingbob thank you totally missed that and so did a few other people I showed it to.

Just now, blazingbob said:

I'm sorry.  I would have thought it would have noted back cover missing/incomplete.  I doubt that they would stick the back cover inside the book,  would make no sense.  

I wouldn't have sent it in missing the back cover. I know that's a .5...meanwhile, I can't believe I looked at it the other day (and showed a dealer friend) and we both said...amazing how the back is so nice;)

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm sorry.  I would have thought it would have noted back cover missing/incomplete.  I doubt that they would stick the back cover inside the book,  would make no sense.  

Might as well crack it open and see.  Not like he'd be losing a SS label

2 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Might as well crack it open and see.  Not like he'd be losing a SS label

I'm not a "He",  but I'm going to just accept it's missing and just going to lower the price. I'm just glad Bob saw it, because I would have been really embarrassed. I'm embarrassed now.

Just now, skypinkblu said:

I'm not a "He",  but I'm going to just accept it's missing and just going to lower the price. I'm just glad Bob saw it, because I would have been really embarrassed. I'm embarrassed now.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Sounds like CGC made the mess up here. I doubt many people would have caught the back cover being missing since it isn't noted on the label. I definitely didn't catch it and I had my own 1.0 copy in hand comparing it to yours trying to decide whether to grab your signed one hahaha

Just now, Nic8612 said:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Sounds like CGC made the mess up here. I doubt many people would have caught the back cover being missing since it isn't noted on the label. I definitely didn't catch it and I had my own 1.0 copy in hand comparing it to yours trying to decide whether to grab your signed one hahaha

17 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Closed for a bit until I do some more research. Since I had no idea the back cover was missing, and it appears that it is. I will repost and lower the price.

This image of another raw copy shows that only the back cover is missing from your copy from the looks of it Sharon:

1078370338_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.4e7380a163d36bd994fd38706cd25126.jpg

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Everyone one here knows you’re a guru.  Mistakes happen.  And there have been much worse mistakes made than not noticing a mistake CGC made.

It's too late for me to contact them, I had this slabbed a few years ago. The back cover is missing, so I lowered the asking price, but I am flexible, so I'm going to accept reasonable offers keeping in mind that a .5 without the signature sold recently.