• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore or Not??
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I am brand new around here. I have a decent size collection, 2,000, ranging from 1948-to the 1990s. Most are in very nice shape (all are ungraded), but I have 2 I thinking of being restored. I have Fantastic Four #4 and Incredible Hulk #3. Both of them have a good sized piece missing from the front cover. (At least 1”)  I know restored books will never have the value of original books, but overall, is it a good investment for old books?? Thanks in advance!

On 2/20/2021 at 4:30 PM, GMcGurty said:

Hello, I am brand new around here. I have a decent size collection, 2,000, ranging from 1948-to the 1990s. Most are in very nice shape (all are ungraded), but I have 2 I thinking of being restored. I have Fantastic Four #4 and Incredible Hulk #3. Both of them have a good sized piece missing from the front cover. (At least 1”)  I know restored books will never have the value of original books, but overall, is it a good investment for old books?? Thanks in advance!

:hi:  Photos?

Edited by pemart1966

Welcome to the boards!

Photos would help, but generally speaking the kind of heavy restoration you're describing (actually reconstructing chunks of artwork) is frowned upon for silver age books, and the value added to the books would be unlikely to recoup the expense.

It would depend on just how big the missing pieces are but you might be better off leaving them in a bag & board. If you submit them for grading you'll end up with maybe a 1.8 or 2 blue label if the missing piece is big enough. They might give you a qualified green label with a higher grade but the grade won't matter on that case because green labels have a substantially lower market value. Everyone hates them!

There's also the angle on what you intend to do with the book. If for example, you plan on keeping it there is a certain amount of enjoyment in owning a book that looks nice after restoration. As far a recouping your losses, I did purchase an FF1 for $1800.00 maybe 5 years ago from Doug Sulipa. Extensive restoration done professionally with pieces missing. Looks like an 8.0 and I don't think I'll have any problems selling it should I want to for more at this time. Think about what you want and what makes you happy.