• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales 114 vs Avengers 4 Which is the Real 1st appearance of the Captain?

17 posts in this topic

I'm guessing this has been discussed on the boards before, but I just can't come to grips as to why Avengers 4 is considered Caps 1st SA appearance and not ST114. I realize Cap is disguised as Acrobat in ST114, but he's on the frickin cover, and ST114 pre-dates Avengers 4.  So what gives??

2 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I guess they're just acknowledging that it's not the 'real' Cap who appears in ST 114...but in practice it's the first SA appearance of a Captain America?  :banana:

IDK. It seems that if he's on the cover in full uniform that it would be pretty difficult to deny?

14 minutes ago, Northwest said:

That's not actually cap on the cover ; it's Acrobat in a Cap disguise. 

Oh, I thought that was Cap on the cover since his pants are blue instead of red like on the interior pages. So, basically it's the return of the character "Captain America" but not necessarily "THE" Captain America Steve Rogers.  I read somewhere that it was a test issue to gauge interest in his return.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Oh, I thought that was Cap on the cover since his pants are blue instead of red like on the interior pages. So, basically it's the return of the character "Captain America" but not necessarily "THE" Captain America Steve Rogers.  I read somewhere that it was a test issue to gauge interest in his return.

see here for reference

https://www.comics.org/issue/18004/

Edited by Northwest

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

ST 114 is the fist time Jack Kirby had drawn Cap since he and co-creator Joe Simon quit/got fired from Timely in the 40s. 

I don't care if it isn't Steve Rogers. It's Jack Kirby drawing  Captain America.

One of both is the safest solution - the 114 hasn't moved much recently has it?

On 2/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I'm guessing this has been discussed on the boards before, but I just can't come to grips as to why Avengers 4 is considered Caps 1st SA appearance and not ST114. I realize Cap is disguised as Acrobat in ST114, but he's on the frickin cover, and ST114 pre-dates Avengers 4.  So what gives??

A costume is a costume. A character is a character. The Acrobat is not Captain America, no matter what he wears.