• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Readers shouldn’t care what print it is....

Collectors care

Specs really care 

If they were interested in appealing to speculators, they would have allowed people to pre-order as many as they wanted, which still would have allowed for plenty to be on the shelf for casual fans. Clearly they're not and aren't going to change their business practices to appeal to speculators.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If they were interested in appealing to readers, they would have allowed people to pre-order as many as they wanted, which still would have allowed for plenty to be on the shelf for casual fans. Clearly they're not and aren't going to change their business practices to appeal to readers.

Fixed that for ya B|

Bad Idea's business model is all about appealing to speculators. Limit supply->Create fake demand->Generate hype->Get Hollywood interested.

2 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

150+ instances in the last few days on eBay alone. Bad Idea better get to work! 

I have observed Comics Warehouse and Golden Apple sell them for cover... But $9-10 shipping per book. 

You can't limit what a customer does with the product after they purchase. But retailers have to agree to rules to carry the product, and at least one that did and then publicly flouted breaking that agreement was removed from the retailer list.

4 hours ago, Second Blight said:

Fixed that for ya B|

Bad Idea's business model is all about appealing to speculators. Limit supply->Create fake demand->Generate hype->Get Hollywood interested.

Not really. There are lots of books that get optioned before they are even released.
Owner has their own production company and is already established. So, no again.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Not really. There are lots of books that get optioned before they are even released.
Owner has their own production company and is already established. So, no again.

Also, I doubt "Hollywood" is making decisions based on whether a comic sells out and goes for a premium on the after-market. Even top-selling comics are a small portion of the potential audience for television and movie production. It's all about whether there's something in the content that is unique and/or would be appealing to viewers, and is adaptable.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

8 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Also, I doubt "Hollywood" is making decisions based on whether a comic sells out and goes for a premium on the after-market. Even top-selling comics are a small portion of the potential audience for television and movie production. It's all about whether there's something in the content that is unique and/or would be appealing to viewers, and is adaptable.

Hollywood follows trends in what works and what people want to see. They then try to find comics that fit that niche.

7 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I find it funny how contentious this seems to be getting. Really enjoying it.

Their whole idea was to change the way things were done. Which they did. But some are not sure that it was done with the best intentions. Also, people don't like change in general.

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Their whole idea was to change the way things were done. Which they did. But some are not sure that it was done with the best intentions. Also, people don't like change in general.

Yeah and I'm in both of those camps .... I think it was done as a ploy for hype .....

And the older I get the more change becomes my enemy (I'm 32 going on 84:preach:)

32 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It’s always about money.  1st prints selling for big money demonstrate demand.

15 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

This is what happened to my money when I bought 2 copies! 

giphy.gif

On 2/24/2021 at 8:39 PM, FormerReader said:

Anyone who was a Valiant fan during Dinesh’s time at the company knows how good he and Valiant were to fans.  That and the talent means I will support Bad Idea through a lot. I’m not going to chase any of the exclusive books, but I will purchase every book they put out on a monthly basis. I believe Dinesh has earned that loyalty. 

So what happens when he leaves this company?(Because he did that with Valiant)
Does he still have your loyalty? I am just asking for a friend.

13 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

That did not happen

52 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

As FormerReader said, he was forced out. There were investors that had a controlling interest and, as far as I can tell, they didn't like that Dinesh was more interested in making good comics than… whatever it is that they were interested in doing. Bad Idea is starting small; I don't know the details, but I doubt there is another outsider investor that has a controlling interest this time around.

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

The "lucky" shop owners now get to screw half the people who ordered a first print. But not to worry because those people may be able to grab a Notfirstprint copy at the same time they get screwed. That will earn this company some good will.

i asked the owner if all the people that signed up early-ish had received a first print as they should have when i picked up my book. he reported they all had and i was happy for them as well as myself. he did mention had they been shorted to such a degree he would have to limit the first prints. the people that signed up a year ago when BI was first announced would get priority, people that signed closer to foc, not so much. he made it known he was not happy with the performance of BI and distribution. 

20 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Readers shouldn’t care what print it is....

Collectors care

Specs really care 

readers are people that sign up for digital comics and trade wait. they dont even care about first prints.  a long time collector and comic book enthusiast wants first print. 

and in this specific case collectors deserve first print since they signed up before the johnny-come-lately not some second-forever-print.