• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Your Older/1st Edition/ OOP Trade Paperbacks and Graphic Novels!
5 5

168 posts in this topic

Today I think I'm gonna go with some Wolverine books. This first one was given to me from a friend several years ago. I really love the cover to this one.

Wolverine Battles The Incredible Hulk, 1st printing, 1989. Collects Incredible Hulk 180-181.

hulkwolverine2fc.jpg

hulkwolverine2bc.jpg

This second book was given to me by the same friend at the same time.

The Uncanny X-Men: Days of Future Past, 1st printing, 1989. Collects Uncanny X-Men 141-142

xmendofpfc.jpg

xmendofpbc.jpg

This next TPB is probably my favorite out of my collection. This is a Canadian reprint of the 1st app of Wolverine, also the first time Wolverine was printed in a Canadian comic book, so iguess you could say this is his first Canadian app. I found this at a swapmeet a few years ago for $2.

The Incredible Hulk, Les Editions, 1978. Collects a couple pages out of Hulk #1 (Hulk's origin), 147, 180-181.

hulkwolverine1fc.jpg

hulkwolverine1bc.jpg

Edited by kccoig14

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

My oldest graphic novel (and I mean true graphic novel, not strip reprints or woodcuts or wordless novel) dates to 1931.  But, these books from when I was a kid are what you want to see:

IMG_0939.thumb.jpg.619da50f0e4e29f92759eb17e3ae3dea.jpg

Those are pretty cool! Ive seen the batman one before but have never come across that Superman one. 

I would also love to see that GN from 1931!

1 hour ago, kccoig14 said:

Oh man, that Blind Justice trade is awesome. And it looks like its still sealed? I have a regular edition of the Death of Superman trade that's signed by Jerry Ordway. Those platinums are so cool.

Yes it is still sealed.  I had two and opened the better of the two so I could read through and also check before sending it in for grading.  The platinum editions are cool. I sent in one of the Blind Justice, One Customer Copy Raffle Edition MOS , Three Retailer Copy Raffle Edition MOS , and Two Death of Superman Platinum Edition trades.  I have almost an entire set signed,  by many of the contributors , to the Death of Superman although all this was done prior to CGC, so I keep that set separate and raw as I do not want them green labeled. 

12 hours ago, AmazingComics413 said:

45579CA9-1D45-4D27-B444-401E93C977B1.jpeg

1438BD62-848C-4B1C-A744-970CA979BE9C.jpeg

That Auto/sketch is amazing! Did you get that signed yourself?

23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

It is the "Four Immigrants Manga" a graphic novel about the Japanese immigrant experience in America that has a strong argument to being the first true original graphic novel in what we know as the contemporary style.  The subject matter is the same as that plowed by Eisner in his graphic novels about the Jewish immigrant experience.  Published out of the San Francisco in 1931, the intended audience was Japanese-Americans as you had to be able to speak both English and Japanese to read it.  Very rare, but Fred Schodt got a lot of press in the late 90s for his translation (he only translated the Japanese language word baloons for his book, which are in perfect English, as contrasted to the broken English as heard by Japanese immigrants when the US born characters talk).  Here's some pics:

photo-8.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Here's what Fred's translation looks like (the printed English was originally in Japanese):

THIS WEEK IN COMICS! (2/26/14 – A Field Guide to Pre-Tezuka Japanese Comics  in English Pt. 1) |

Thats very interesting. Im gonna have to try to track down a translated copy.

22 minutes ago, kccoig14 said:

That Auto/sketch is amazing! Did you get that signed yourself?

Yes, I had Sakai sign a Usagi #1 that earned a CGCSS 9.6 and I brought the TPB to have signed at the same time (so I had a reading copy B|)

On 2/23/2021 at 8:51 PM, sfcityduck said:

My oldest graphic novel (and I mean true graphic novel, not strip reprints or woodcuts or wordless novel) dates to 1931.  But, these books from when I was a kid are what you want to see:

IMG_0939.thumb.jpg.619da50f0e4e29f92759eb17e3ae3dea.jpg

Still have my childhood copy as well:cloud9:

EC8EB761-5F68-4F7B-A5CE-51EF886FF0E1.jpeg

9 minutes ago, kccoig14 said:

Dang, nice grades on those!

I didn't know they grade trades. How thick are those cases?

I was pretty happy with the grades. The cases are about 1.25" thick, but with the thickness of front and back I would estimate that it would only hold something from about .75- 1" max. I am not sure if this is their largest case though. I do know they have several sizes. 

17 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I was pretty happy with the grades. The cases are about 1.25" thick, but with the thickness of front and back I would estimate that it would only hold something from about .75- 1" max. I am not sure if this is their largest case though. I do know they have several sizes. 

I need to check my death nn to see if it's the platinum lol

It looked minty :)