• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenAgeComics.com Impressions?

16 posts in this topic

Well after Scottish had some middling luck with GAC, I decided to take a look through their catalogue and actually found a few issues for my collection at not-bad prices for NM.

These are not keys, are not meant for CGC, and I just want to fill a few holes without waitng on EBay listings for months. I just want some nice-looking books, and my current selections are in the years 1972-74 or so, Avengers, FF, etc.

Should I lay the hammer down or not?

Also, how do you know he has that issue in stock or how many he has?

You ask him if he has it in stock or not. I believe people posted positive things about him for anything bronze and after. I bought 5 books from him about a month before scottish bought his DD 131. They were all VF/NM to NM condition with the possible exception of DD 131 (which I chalk up to just trying to get on the hype train). I plan to buy from him again considering the prices are good and he's pretty good about grading.

Brian

What did you (and/or Scottish) buy your books as - NM or something less? I'm always a little skeptical of pre-1976 lists containing primarily NM grades...I think he says most his books are NM, right?

Yep, the vast majority of his listings post '75 are "NM".. I bought..Ghost Rider 1, Captain America 117, Fantastic Four 52, Marvel Spotlight 5, and DD 131. FF 52 was 9.0, Ghost Rider was 9.4, Cap was 9.2, MS was 9.0 and DD 131 was probably VF 8.0.

Brian

his pre 75 books are mostly vf/nm at the highest (at least in the runs I've looked at.) after 75 or so they turn NM

I've bought from him a couple of times and I would do so again.

I bought 2 DD 158s, a DD 168 and a DD 131. Grades ranged from 9.6 to 7.0 so there is a little inconsistency there in my opinion.

Joe's a good guy though and I would certainly buy from him again. He won't sell his Silver age books so Bronze or higher is your only choice.

I think he has a lot of NM comics, but he can't tell a VF from a NM, so it's a crapshoot within that range as to whether you'll fish up NMs or not. I've gotten a few dead-on NMs from him and a few VFs described as NM. And one total rip-off restored overgraded Daredevil #1. I bought from him two years ago before I could consistently tell VF from NM myself.

......yeah, its a real good idea to have serveral reliable sources for books.............otherwise you'll grow old looking to fill those holes..............

.........i find ebay a pretty frustrating source sometimes, and if a book rarely pops up, when it does all hell breaks loose............. shocked.gif

He's worth the risk, because he seems honest. Although you can't know for sure, I suspect he didn't know the book I bought was restored. And he does accept returns, which is what makes him worth trying.

He has some boxes that work pretty well for shipping within US..but I'd ask him to put some more padding in the box if your gonna have him ship to Canada cause I'm sure it'll get "roughed" up.

Brian

I've bought from him - I agree with several others that his NM standard is variable. I believe I kept 3 of the 7 books I received - the others were either highly overgraded (fine + at best) or restored. However, he was prompt in his return policy and I had no trouble returning the books I didn't agree with. He probably didn't know that the restored book had been worked on - it was just color touch on the spine or a black cover border. I'd buy from him again.

Yea, I asked him about some early x-men he has listed as NM. I wanted to know if NM- or NM+, he just said NM, then when asked to run down any spine stress on the book (It was well over $200) he just said all books are NM. I felt like I knew I might be disappointed when I received the book so I decided not to order anything from him. I felt like he was tap dancing around the books defects

Yep, I got the same impression. Inquired about some books, he basically said "They're on my website you can check them out at your leisure". Gee, thanks a lot. At that point I decided f**k it. This guy's got scores & scores of "NM" runs at bargain prices in this day and age. They can't all be NM & they can't all be in stock. It sounds too good to be true. Return policy or not, why bother with the hassle?

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics