• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Hulk true 1st appearance found
2 2

64 posts in this topic

What would have been a joke a short time ago now has some logical grounds. I found this in a lcs dollar box and it predates Hulk #1 by about 3 months, so this would be the true first Red Hulk, given the market around Marvel Previews #95, yeah? It even has a bonus variant cover on the back and in the current market it only takes one person agreeing to set the standard... so you can find this on the bay for 2k :o:wishluck::roflmao:

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

That's pretty neat, actually. Of course, all the aficionados who own what they think is the first appearance will strenuously object, then tell us some more about IH 181. Others will talk about continuity and how this doesn't really count. The ones who have $2k to shuck out will do both, then get one to hedge their bets. Which is probably what I would do. 

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

No, it would just be one more piece of junk for lying insufficiently_thoughtful_person scumbags to hype.

It's why that ashcan featuring Captain Thunder is so worthless. Not the 1st App of Captain Marvel! "Thunder" and "Marvel" don't even sound the same!

Hell with it. I found a cheap copy of this in nice shape and got it. Kinda neat. Thanks, HotKey. It'll make my wife crazy as well! LOL!

Red Hulk Premiere.png

Edited by Randall Ries

18 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

It's why that ashcan featuring Captain Thunder is so worthless. Not the 1st App of Captain Marvel! "Thunder" and "Marvel" don't even sound the same!

Did... did you really just compare an ashcan from 8 decades ago to a mass market advertising POS from 1 decade ago? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Did... did you really just compare an ashcan from 8 decades ago to a mass market advertising POS from 1 decade ago? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I was joking, of course. See? L-O-L! :acclaim:

I am always amazed at what collectors will suddenly find value in or find desirable. HotKey made a good point. It's likely Red Hulk's first printed appearance. Part of the joy I get in collecting is the shtick that plays tag-a-long sometimes.

Oddly enough when I went to look for a copy for myself, the "POS" as you described it was the only Daily Bugle advertiser that was missing. One guy had 10-12 copies of the Daily Bugle with a Red Hulk copy and that was all there was.

So, it COULD be that collectors suddenly are paying attention to it. It's a neat piece at any rate. I didn't pay a lot for that particular muffler so it'll be fun to have. If the ebay guy gets $2k for his beater, I'll advertise my minty mint one for $3k. I want a 9.4 Batman #227 so that'll go a ways to funding it.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Going around calling things something they're not in an attempt to sell them to suckers for ridiculous money has nothing to do with anybody collecting what they like.

Let's look at Hulk 181, then. Tons of copies available and being priced at stupid money. They aren't rare. Who are the scumbags? To me, the sellers who set their own price. Overstreet's Price Guide is out the window now. It isn't just IH 181, either. Lately, auctions are seeing record sales for mediocre books in 9.8 and less across the board. Something i happening. Most likely a bubble. That's what happens when Wall Street guys get interested in things. They run the prices up, then sell off and the bubble pops. Regular joes like me get hosed. Good thing I collect what I think is cool or ironic. IH 181 and its sellers can cram their copies. 

I bought the Daily Bugle thing because it's cool. To me, at least. Never thought about those giveaway flyers in my LCS all those years ago. He always stuck one in my weekly bag. Funny thing is the Red Hulk one isn't widely available while there are tons over the others. Seems like people like to collect them.

20 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Let's look at Hulk 181, then. Tons of copies available and being priced at stupid money. They aren't rare.

Yes. So?

Who are the scumbags?

Who needs to be scumbags when dealing with the first full appearance of one of the most popular characters in comics?

To me, the sellers who set their own price.

What? What's wrong with that?

Overstreet's Price Guide is out the window now.

The OPG is in the trash, or at least deserves to be, and has been for many, many years.

It isn't just IH 181, either. Lately, auctions are seeing record sales for mediocre books in 9.8 and less across the board. Something i happening. Most likely a bubble.

Yes, the current market is insane. The fact that false claims are being made all over the place doesn't help that.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes. So?

Who needs to be scumbags when dealing with the first full appearance of one of the most popular characters in comics?

What? What's wrong with that?

The OPG is in the trash, or at least deserves to be, and has been for many, many years.

Yes, the current market is insane. The fact that false claims are being made all over the place doesn't help that.

The problem is/has become owners determining what a book is worth. And big sellers like Metropolis. The OPG was really the only thing keeping collectors from going overboard and gouging people for books that are plentiful but important like IH 181. Nearing $10k for a 9.0? Effing ridiculous. Laughable. Nutbags with too much money setting record sales numbers inflating everything.

So, what happened? Did people get sad by the OPG restraining them? How DARE Overstreet dictate to ME what these books are worth? That's something only Heritage Auctions and Metropolis should be able to do. And me. And wonky millionaires who have more money than sense setting record sales prices. For mediocre titles.

The whole thing is getting out of focus. Here is a Bat 232 selling for $648. It's one example of many I have seen lately where the purple label selling prices are beginning to rival blue label books in the same grade. Sellers who aren't necessarily collectors - mercenaries - determining what's valuable and rare and what isn't.

The second image is where IH 181 should have began and ended. Y' kiddin' me? Of course it would.LOL!

Untitled.png

1zcju2.jpg

That Daily Bugle promotional is awesome.  I think it would look nice as part of a Red Hulk collection.  It’s a good supplement.  Something a collector would appreciate.  

But I’d never pick that over the real deal.

08E7F2C1-0BD6-4121-9ED1-D864591726AA.jpeg

Edited by Comixroc

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

The problem is/has become owners determining what a book is worth. And big sellers like Metropolis. The OPG was really the only thing keeping collectors from going overboard and gouging people for books that are plentiful but important like IH 181.

lol Where do you think Overstreet got the numbers for the Guide? Unless you're a thief (or know some really generous people, I guess), how would you ever acquire a book if you weren't willing to pay an owner's price? And if copies are so plentiful, it should be possible to find some for lower prices somewhere.

Like I mentioned earlier, the OPG is irrelevant trash and has been for a long time. It is massively plagued with absurd prices, both low and high.