• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Hulk true 1st appearance found
2 2

64 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

lol Where do you think Overstreet got the numbers for the Guide? Unless you're a thief (or know some really generous people, I guess), how would you ever acquire a book if you weren't willing to pay an owner's price? And if copies are so plentiful, it should be possible to find some for lower prices somewhere.

Like I mentioned earlier, the OPG is irrelevant trash and has been for a long time. It is massively plagued with absurd prices, both low and high.

Ok. You are right. I am wrong. OPG couldn't keep up with the ridiculously high prices people want for their books now anyway. I always saw OPG as an average of what was happening with sales and new discoveries. What you are doing is talking out of both sides of your mouth:

"Where do you think Overstreet got the numbers for the Guide?"
"...the OPG is irrelevant trash and has been for a long time."

It must come in handy to approach a seller and say "Says here this book is worth $200 or so in grade. Not $2,000, your 'asking' price." Then call FMV irrelevant. Do you believe in election fraud too?

What I am saying is no! I am NOT willing to pay a record price for any book. The hobby isn't THAT important to me. Still need to think about the frills. Like food and gasoline. The hobby to me is collecting the books I would like to have. Not the highest graded book so I can measure my Richard with it. A lot of us still love the medium and don't have money falling out their arzzes. And yes. The implication is I and many others have been priced out of the game, so have at it.

"Hey, man! I just paid $15,000 for an IH 181! Yeah! A 9.2! I am long on money and short on brains! Although there are hundreds of copies in this grade, the book has seen a 300% uptick in "value" in just the last year alone! Yessiree I am sittin' pretty!" If I went around bragging like that, people would think I was crazy. Or try to rob me. I bought a CGC graded 8.5 Bat #3 for $8200. At the time, there were 3 on the census. Not half a million like IH 181 or even some of these "limited production" variants. Thankfully, all the stupid prices are pretty much relegated to 9.6 and 9.9. Hasn't affected the upper middle and mids too much. Thank God there are mocking people like you around to shut everyone else up. The perfect epitome of a comic book store clerk. So, BANG! You got me, pardner. I guess I will keep collecting what strikes me as neat. Like that Red Hulk flyer. I don't have a dollar sign for a heart.

11 hours ago, 500Club said:

Owners don’t determine anything.  They are free to ask whatever they want.  A ‘worth’ is determined when a buyer comes in and pays an asking price.  Multiple such events is what makes a market.

That sounds so innocent. Like owners don't notice stupid prices being paid at famous auctions and inflated prices from dealers. Bat 227 9.8 goes from a $9k book to $30k overnight because on ONE SALE? Metro bumped theirs overnight from $9k to $30k because of the Pennyworth sale. That's BS. One person with too much money pays a stupid price because he can? Where's the average in that? Now ALL 9.8 Bat 227's are $30K? Meh. Keep it. That's what I was trying to illustrate. Someone gets a biggie over a book they simply must have and pays doofus money for it. Fine. That's there thing. It shouldn't dictate the entire market. That's called inflation. Seems to me it isn't sustainable.

4 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

That sounds so innocent. Like owners don't notice stupid prices being paid at famous auctions and inflated prices from dealers. Bat 227 9.8 goes from a $9k book to $30k overnight because on ONE SALE? Metro bumped theirs overnight from $9k to $30k because of the Pennyworth sale. That's BS. One person with too much money pays a stupid price because he can? Where's the average in that? Now ALL 9.8 Bat 227's are $30K? Meh. Keep it. That's what I was trying to illustrate. Someone gets a biggie over a book they simply must have and pays doofus money for it. Fine. That's there thing. It shouldn't dictate the entire market. That's called inflation. Seems to me it isn't sustainable.

You might be shocked when you enter the real world.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

You might be shocked when you enter the real world.

I'm IN the real world. A lot longer than you, I bet. YOU might be shocked when the thing blows up in your face. Ever see things get devalued mightily overnight? Not a pleasant feeling. Spare me your mockery, Similac.

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

I'm IN the real world. A lot longer than you, I bet. YOU might be shocked when the thing blows up in your face. Ever see things get devalued mightily overnight? Not a pleasant feeling. Spare me your mockery, Similac.

When what thing blows up in my face?
It sounds like you don't know that inflation applies to the entire US economy, not just comics.

Similac?

That's less inflation and more just simple market economics.  If one person is willing to pay $30k for a book and no one else is, then it stands to reason that prices for that book should eventually drop.  Inflation has to do with the purchasing power of something.  The dollar isn't becoming less valuable when a comic explodes in price.  It's not like a Big Mac is increasing 3-fold as well.  At the end of the day, no one's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy a $30k book.  (And if they are, blink twice and we'll get you some help.)  

Edited by ExNihilo

19 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Let's look at Hulk 181, then. Tons of copies available and being priced at stupid money. They aren't rare. Who are the scumbags? To me, the sellers who set their own price. Overstreet's Price Guide is out the window now. It isn't just IH 181, either. Lately, auctions are seeing record sales for mediocre books in 9.8 and less across the board. Something i happening. Most likely a bubble. That's what happens when Wall Street guys get interested in things. They run the prices up, then sell off and the bubble pops. Regular joes like me get hosed. Good thing I collect what I think is cool or ironic. IH 181 and its sellers can cram their copies. 

I bought the Daily Bugle thing because it's cool. To me, at least. Never thought about those giveaway flyers in my LCS all those years ago. He always stuck one in my weekly bag. Funny thing is the Red Hulk one isn't widely available while there are tons over the others. Seems like people like to collect them.

^^

And please “collectors” keep the spotlight on the Marvel “keys” and pokemon cards. 

So that the  DC keys can stay affordable, especially the silver and gold. Thank you and God bless. 

50 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

That sounds so inexperienced.  Like buyers don’t notice stupid prices suddenly being asked based on one sale.  Owners can now ask 30K for a Batman 227 9.8... doesn’t mean anyone else will pay it.

It’s pure economics... the price will settle where the ask meets the bid.

1 hour ago, Nazirite said:

^^

And please “collectors” keep the spotlight on the Marvel “keys” and pokemon cards. 

So that the  DC keys can stay affordable, especially the silver and gold. Thank you and God bless. 

The comic prices are relative to the media developments. DC / Warner isn't doing much right in that department these days.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You do not determine what someone else values or what their opinion on something is.

WTF? There is absolutely no way to infer that I think that from what I posted.

What I actually said: Nobody gets to lie and mislead people because they want money.

2 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

What I am saying is no! I am NOT willing to pay a record price for any book. The hobby isn't THAT important to me. Still need to think about the frills. Like food and gasoline. The hobby to me is collecting the books I would like to have. Not the highest graded book so I can measure my Richard with it. A lot of us still love the medium and don't have money falling out their arzzes. And yes. The implication is I and many others have been priced out of the game, so have at it.

lol I don't think you understand. I am just talking about reality. I have already said that the market is insane and I am not paying record prices for anything either.

I bought a CGC graded 8.5 Bat #3 for $8200.

Well, that's 250x more than I've ever paid for a comic!

What you are doing is talking out of both sides of your mouth:

"Where do you think Overstreet got the numbers for the Guide?"
"...the OPG is irrelevant trash and has been for a long time."

Got. Past tense. I don't know how it has really worked for the past two decades or so (besides not well).

The point being that Overstreet originally got numbers from dealers who determined them on their own. But an annual paper guide has been outdated for a long time now and it's even more useless in this stupid market.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

WTF? There is absolutely no way to infer that I think that from what I posted.

What I actually said: Nobody gets to lie and mislead people because they want money.

Given that some people like the types of media in the OP and do value them as was described, yea, you did.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, 500Club said:

Owners don’t determine anything.  They are free to ask whatever they want.  A ‘worth’ is determined when a buyer comes in and pays an asking price.  Multiple such events is what makes a market.

True 'dat.:sumo: