• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy Silver Age keys now?
7 7

107 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, The Man Without Beer said:

Well my ASM #14 purchase fell through due to dealer inventory error. Kinda sucks but of course I had pick up something in its place. Figured I could use a representative Avengers book in the collection. Still stayed with a Silver age key though.

Screenshot_20210225-184329_Instagram.jpg

I love this issue.  The cover is way more classic than AS 14 in my opinion.  Also, they never made a golden record reprint of Spidey 14.

7 minutes ago, The Man Without Beer said:

Well my ASM #14 purchase fell through due to dealer inventory error. Kinda sucks but of course I had pick up something in its place. Figured I could use a representative Avengers book in the collection. Still stayed with a Silver age key though.

Screenshot_20210225-184329_Instagram.jpg

PS How can that be a SA Key but not the other book where Cap is shown getting thawed out of the iceberg? You know the one, in Not Brand Echh!

Classic line: Thor (introducing himself to CA): "I am mighty Thor!"

CA (rubbing his head): "You and me both, lady!"

Just now, The Man Without Beer said:

Not my pic but notes say:

crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
large tear left bottom of back cover
moderate staining to cover
small chip out left bottom of back cover

Ahhh.. a large tear 4-5 inches in length can drop a book down to 3.0-4.0 territory

ill take that any day of the week over a chewed up spine or eyesore level stain

11 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Ahhh.. a large tear 4-5 inches in length can drop a book down to 3.0-4.0 territory

ill take that any day of the week over a chewed up spine or eyesore level stain

From what I can tell without the book in hand the tear extends up to the shoe at the front toe/bow area. Guessing about a 2.5" tear. Grainy pic but I can see it somewhat.

Lots of books on fire right now.  You have to think at some point they’ll slow down/level off.  The question is when? 
If you’re buying to flip for quick profit, you could do well or you could get burned. 
If you’re buying to hold “long term”, the keys usually work out in your favor.

I found an old invoice a few weeks ago form a Spidey 15 I bought back in 2013.  I paid an aggressive (ie, above gpa) price at the time.  That’s worked out pretty well for me.  
A few years prior to that I paid under 4 figures for an FF5 that graded out at a 4.0.  Happy with that one too. 
The true blue chip books are typically good bets if you can hold them for awhile.  
The nothing character that becomes a “hot key” overnight because of a TV or movie appearance is where you are more liable to get burned.

The 30/40% price jumps happening within the space of a couple of months are just plain scary. Feels like you used to be able to target a book and start saving up for it but that is barely possible at the moment as the book increases so fast!

Even low grades are slipping out of reach unless you bought before 2020. Personally my dilemma is whether to throw everything into 1 silver age key or move on to the more affordable bronze age keys where you have a chance of putting together a good run.

I'm still hoping that when the comic shows open up again here in the UK there might be some good opportunities that are not in ebay price territory. Unless of course all the dealers sold off their inventories during this crazy era..... couldn't blame them of course as it's a sellers dream right now. 

13 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Lots of books on fire right now.  You have to think at some point they’ll slow down/level off.  The question is when? 
If you’re buying to flip for quick profit, you could do well or you could get burned. 
If you’re buying to hold “long term”, the keys usually work out in your favor.

I found an old invoice a few weeks ago form a Spidey 15 I bought back in 2013.  I paid an aggressive (ie, above gpa) price at the time.  That’s worked out pretty well for me.  
A few years prior to that I paid under 4 figures for an FF5 that graded out at a 4.0.  Happy with that one too. 
The true blue chip books are typically good bets if you can hold them for awhile.  
The nothing character that becomes a “hot key” overnight because of a TV or movie appearance is where you are more liable to get burned.

Looking through some past purchases, not a bad investment on a possible 4.5 after a cpr

FF360F49-810A-41BE-9537-677940307D7D.jpeg

the answer to the question this thread poses has to be "No, not now." 

would you buy tesla stock if it went to $2400 per share? buy low, sell high, someone said. of course FOMO makes one wonder if it will ever be lower again on any keys. but i suspect it will.