• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quickpress service is it good?

5 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

The last time i sent books to CGC i didn`t had the option for  "quickpress" service. Is it good? I mean if a send a modern book 9.4 - 9.6 with the intention of getting a 9.8 does it works?

If it has press-able defects, yes.

However, the only guarantees in life are death and taxes.

Edited by Angel of Death

I don't think there should be anything "quick" about the pressing process, but that's just me. You're talking about subjecting paper to pressure, heat, and humidity. All sorts of things can go wrong. 

"Quickpress" means that the presser will not examine your books prior to pressing. The book will be subjected to a routine formula of processes with no special considerations provided for the unique conditions or problems that may be inherent within. 

This sort of service is best for modern books - perhaps a stack of comics in the range of 9.4 to 9.6 with "pressable defects" that could potentially bring the book up to a 9.8. These kind of books don't really need to be [as] thoroughly examined to arrive at a formula, and these are as close to "routine" as you can get, I suppose. 

Any high-value book will benefit from a "pre-screen" examination before it touches the press and should be given due consideration in this regard. 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

I don't think there should be anything "quick" about the pressing process, but that's just me. You're talking about subjecting paper to pressure, heat, and humidity. All sorts of things can go wrong. 

"Quickpress" means that the presser will not examine your books prior to pressing. The book will be subjected to a routine formula of processes with no special considerations provided for the unique conditions or problems that may be inherent within. 

This sort of service is best for modern books - perhaps a stack of comics in the range of 9.4 to 9.6 with "pressable defects" that could potentially bring the book up to a 9.8. These kind of books don't really need to be [as] thoroughly examined to arrive at a formula, and these are as close to "routine" as you can get, I suppose. 

Any high-value book will benefit from a "pre-screen" examination before it touches the press and should be given due consideration in this regard. 

This.

Out of all the steps that a book goes through (press, page count, resto check, grading and encapsulation) the pressing is the one step you don't want rushed.