• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the eff's going on with ebay?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, bluechip said:

They said I couldn't list anything until I "registered" with some new service, which asked for my SSN or ITN.  

Me no likely,

Is this a new thing?  Since when?  

Probably their new Managed Payments program. They've been talking about it over in the Comics General thread for the past year.

I've sold things on eBay since the early days, but only as a casual seller. Those days are behind me now, as it's definitely not worth the hassle. Opinions will vary, of course. (shrug)

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

They said I couldn't list anything until I "registered" with some new service, which asked for my SSN or ITN.  

Me no likely,

Is this a new thing?  Since when?  

Yeah its the new payment system. Well its not even that new (November 2020). Ebay now handles the payments to sellers and pockets the 3% paypal used to take. But if you give them a valid bank account why does e bay need your SS #? I R S of course. Billions of dollars in sales each year , they ain't gonna pass that up anymore. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

11 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Yeah its the new payment system. Well its not even that new (November 2020). Ebay now handles the payments to sellers and pockets the 3% paypal used to take. But if you give them a valid bank account why does e bay need your SS #? I R S of course. Billions of dollars in sales each year , they ain't gonna pass that up anymore. 

Oh.  So now working families desperate to keep the lights on will have to pay taxes on the money they get for old toys and video games, unless they have saved all the old receipts and are willing and able to spend many hours accounting for each item in order to prove they sold for a loss.  

Somebody has to pay for this out of control pandamic. “Stimulus checks” are not free. Me, I’d much rather not get a check and get a tax break instead. Anybody who thinks taxes aren’t going to go up are delusional. 

The underground economy of eBay was bound to crash sooner or later anyway. 

4 hours ago, tabcom said:

1099s for everyone!

I remember fondly the good old days of the golden age when eBay was a tax free zone. :preach:

Another reason for this old timer to get on the IG train. :sumo:

Looks like 1099s go out if you have $20,000 gross with 200+ transactions...unless you live in brokeass Illinois or NJ. You get squeezed to the last drop there. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/ebay-form-1099k?id=4794

12 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I haven't paid 13% on anything I've sold on eBay since the new managed payments. Really it's been closer to 15% or more for me.

23 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Somebody has to pay for this out of control pandamic. “Stimulus checks” are not free. Me, I’d much rather not get a check and get a tax break instead. Anybody who thinks taxes aren’t going to go up are delusional. 

The underground economy of eBay was bound to crash sooner or later anyway. 

How about no check and no tax break? That was how our year was.

59 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

“Stimulus checks” are not free. . . Anybody who thinks taxes aren’t going to go up are delusional. 

The fine people at the treasury and federal reserve may in fact be delusional in this era of MMT.

1 minute ago, october said:

I used to live there and miss it, except for the taxes, impending fiscal meltdown, underfunded public sector pensions and not seeing the sun from Nov-Feb. 

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up, except add to that the couple feet of snow we’ve shoveled the past few weeks. We have an escape plan, but I will miss Gene n Jude’s and a few places like that. Plus, the flea markets are fairly decent, but wherever we wind up, I’m sure I’ll find new haunts for finding junque and what not.

14 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up, except add to that the couple feet of snow we’ve shoveled the past few weeks. We have an escape plan, but I will miss Gene n Jude’s and a few places like that. Plus, the flea markets are fairly decent, but wherever we wind up, I’m sure I’ll find new haunts for finding junque and what not.

Oh man. Gene n Jude's. So good. I try to go there every time I am back home. It's on the list along with Johnnie's Beef, Portillo's, Lou Malnati's, Lou Mitchell's, etc, etc, etc.

5 hours ago, Transplant said:

I don't get the outrage.  You were always "supposed" to report those profits anyway.  Same for selling at shows or facebook or wherever.

That requires honesty, which appeals to be in short supply nowadays.