• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evil Ernie/Lady Death Appreciation Club
4 4

59 posts in this topic

Evil Ernie 1 came out 30 years ago this December. I have very fond memories of the original Eternity mini series. That series not only introduced the titular character but also Brian Pulido and Steven Hughes' perhaps even more famous character, Lady Death, who would go on to be the most prominent symbol of the mid-90s Wizard-fueled Bad Girl Art trend. 

As goofy as these comics seem now, nearly three decades later, I have clear memories of every issue of the original Evil Ernie series and the 1994 Lady Death mini series being wall books at all my local shops, for as long as they could keep them in stock. 

I actually bought my first copy of Evil Ernie 1 from an antique shop for $100 sometime around 1994. While there was a dip of prices on these books for a long time, it appears lately that, at least in 9.8, prices have shot way up. I've owned several copies of Evil Ernie 1 and Lady Death 1 over the years but don't have any now. When I do spot them on a wall at a LCS I always stop and ask to check them out. 

Since this is the Copper forum, this thread is intended just for the original Eternity/Malibu Evil Ernie series and the Chaos Comics Lady Death series that spun off directly from that. 

Nice Ryan, not sure I've ever seen that book with sketch and I am also a fan of original EE and LD series.  The 9.8 EE #1 doesn't show up very often on open market even though there is a decent number of them on census and they command a rather high price, I would think more would come to open auction market.  

Edited by RedGiant

4 hours ago, RedGiant said:

Nice Ryan, not sure I've ever seen that book with sketch and I am also a fan of original EE and LD series.  The 9.8 EE #1 doesn't show up very often on open market even though there is a decent number of them on census and they command a rather high price, I would think more would come to open auction market.  

It is surprising. I'd be curious to see what a 9.8 would sell for at one of the auction houses, particularly in light of the escalating prices on 90s stuff lately. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

It is surprising. I'd be curious to see what a 9.8 would sell for at one of the auction houses, particularly in light of the escalating prices on 90s stuff lately. 

Yeah, last 'recorded' sale was August 2019 for $1,439.  There was one on clink in August 2020, that sold for $1,700, but I know who won it and he's a much more aggressive bidder than me so I backed off, even though I really do want to upgrade to a 9.8.  I'm almost certain if one went up now it would be $2k+ easy.

17 minutes ago, RedGiant said:

Yeah, last 'recorded' sale was August 2019 for $1,439.  There was one on clink in August 2020, that sold for $1,700, but I know who won it and he's a much more aggressive bidder than me so I backed off, even though I really do want to upgrade to a 9.8.  I'm almost certain if one went up now it would be $2k+ easy.

I swear a 9.8 sold on the boards some time in the last year but I can't find the thread, either via search or Google. 

On 2/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, RedGiant said:

A 9.6 sold at auction last night for $1180. Ugh. I should have kept my copies. 

On 2/25/2021 at 11:28 AM, Ryan. said:

Lady Death: Reckoning limited hardcover signed by Pulido, Hughes and Jansen. The unsigned version is easy enough to find, having a print run of 10,000; however, the signed edition appears to be pretty rare, and even more rare is the edition featuring a Lady Death sketch by Hughes on the front cover. 

20210225_141654.jpg

20210225_141625.jpg

Two different versions of the LD TPB w/ Hughes sketch - silver sharpie pen, and a limited to 100 edition through Chaos! Comics online with a silver pencil. 

On 2/22/2021 at 6:27 PM, Ryan. said:
On 2/22/2021 at 6:09 PM, RedGiant said:

I swear a 9.8 sold on the boards some time in the last year but I can't find the thread, either via search or Google. 

I sold a 9.4 in November 2019 on the board.  That may be what you're remembering.  I should have kept it. lol

Just came across this thread and decide to bump it.  

I was a HUGE CHAOS! COMICS fan back in the day.  I wasn't able to track down all of the Eternity books (still working on that!) but I was even able to visit their corporate office in Scottsdale, AZ when I was out there which was pretty cool.  While most of my books of theirs are buried (I have pretty much all of them) I do have a few that I can reach, including a few rarities.  I'll post some pics a bit, post what you've got!