• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Letter To Superman
2 2

68 posts in this topic

What I find most interesting about this cover is how far away the sender was from what we think of as the main distribution centers for early comics. Milford, Utah is in the middle of nowhere even now, but it was REALLY in the middle of nowhere in 1939.

The postmark on this cover is from an RPO -- a railway post office. Essentially, when the train came into town, people could deliver outgoing mail directly to the train's mail car. Unless I'm mistaken, this particular postmark was associated with the historically significant City of Los Angeles train.

My best guess is that a family member bought the comic in Los Angeles and took it home to Ann in Milford. Although it's also possible that the comic was purchased "back east" and had a longer voyage. Because it's there's no way to know if Action 1 or Superman 1 inspired this letter, it's tough to pin down the time frames, but it would certainly be interesting to try to find LA street dates.

Unfortunately, I have had zero luck locating information about Ann herself.

4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Great item, but is there a letter inside? Did I miss something? How do you know it's a "little" girl? 

Fair point. I think one assumes it's a child writing to their hero, but of course the writing is consistent also with an elderly person, who could be writing on behalf of their grandchild.

31 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Great item, but is there a letter inside? Did I miss something? How do you know it's a "little" girl? 

Little girl was an assumption on my part,I was on ebay saw this seller selling a wack of old envelopes with no enclosures scrolled and saw this and hit BIN. The date was a year and 1 month after Action 1 and thought what  book was read to inspire this letter an Action or Supes 1 ?? 

Edited by goldenacase

17 hours ago, goldenacase said:

This appeared on Ebay thought it was so cool I couldn't help myself just normally a comic guy I love the date and that is was written by a little girl... Superman is everybody's Hero! Thought I would share 

s-l1600-78.jpg

I think this is sooo cool!  :applause:

41 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Fair point. I think one assumes it's a child writing to their hero, but of course the writing is consistent also with an elderly person, who could be writing on behalf of their grandchild.

No matter who actually penned the envelope, “Ann Marie” is clearly a female. Most likely a child as comics were not very often read by adults then. 

Great piece. Too bad the letter is missing. Could have possibly been one of the earliest membership kit inquiries. 

49 minutes ago, G G ® said:

That could be true, or someone who has terrible handwriting when they are rushing...;)

I was just hoping for more details. It's very special either way.

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

That could be true, or someone who has terrible handwriting when they are rushing...;)

I was just hoping for more details. It's very special either way.

I agree it's a really nice thing. The postmark is the clincher that gives it provenance. Pity the surname is indistinguishable because there would be a great chance of tracking this lady down otherwise.

48 minutes ago, G G ® said:

I agree it's a really nice thing. The postmark is the clincher that gives it provenance. Pity the surname is indistinguishable because there would be a great chance of tracking this lady down otherwise.

Person would be in their 80's at minimum by now, and could have a different last name.

I'm sure pretty sure that Ann Marie was a girl, but don't forget  

1 hour ago, goldenacase said:

Little girl was an assumption on my part,I was on ebay saw this seller selling a wack of old envelopes with no enclosures scrolled and saw this and hit BIN. The date was a year and 1 month after Action 1 and thought what  book was read to inspire this letter an Action or Supes 1 ?? 

Well...Superman #1 hit the stands on May 18, 1939 according to GCDB (possibly later in Milford Utah lol)

Since the letter was addressed to "c/o Action Comics"  I would assume that this young girl was a reader of Action Comics and that was her inspiration.  

Perhaps it was a subscription request...

1 hour ago, G G ® said:

To my naked eye, the surname is either "Autgen" or "Outgen".  Either way, I didn't get a hit when I looked for her.  Maybe someone else will have better luck.

19 hours ago, goldenacase said:

This appeared on Ebay thought it was so cool I couldn't help myself just normally a comic guy I love the date and that is was written by a little girl... Superman is everybody's Hero! Thought I would share 

s-l1600-78.jpg

Bill that is awesome!  I love it, and it makes me think of my little girl who also loves and reads Superman.  I have an ASM comic I bought off a boardie that had a drawing on notebook paper of "Peter Parker's Pad" inside.  I love these pieces.  Great buy! 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, G G ® said:

Not that I'm a handwriting expert but it doesn't appear to me to be the writing of an older person.  The penmanship has consistent flow.  One might expect some wobble if it was the writing of an older person.  To me, it has all the hallmarks of a nine or ten year old girl who loved Superman.

Edited by pemart1966

19 hours ago, goldenacase said:

s-l1600-78.jpg

https://lelands.com/bids/1939-postal-cover-to-superman-c~o-action-comics

Capture.thumb.PNG.7f7d711e13b652c135e297ad5bf4a5e5.PNG

hm

item_34705_1.jpg.c7df889793af787d4ada00e6689671e6.jpg