• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Letter To Superman
2 2

68 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Well...Superman #1 hit the stands on May 18, 1939 according to GCDB (possibly later in Milford Utah lol)

Since the letter was addressed to "c/o Action Comics"  I would assume that this young girl was a reader of Action Comics and that was her inspiration.  

Perhaps it was a subscription request...

That could be a possibility as well. I don’t have any Action or Superman comics any earlier than 1940. Maybe one of you lucky board members who have any raw 1939 issues could take a look and see if there are any membership or subscription offers. I know the first club is supposedly from 1939. Would love to know the first time it was offered. 

I know he was starting to get heavily merchandised in 1940. He must have been real popular by then. 

Edited by Robot Man

Just now, Robot Man said:

That could be a possibility as well. I don’t have any Action or Superman comics any earlier than 1940. Maybe one of you lucky board members who have any raw 1939 issues could take a look and see if there are any membership or subscription offers. I know the first club is supposedly from 1939. Would love to know the first time it was offered. 

That's possibility too - a request to join the fan club...

6 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

That's possibility too - a request to join the fan club...

Two, in case you missed the earlier post...

item_34705_1.jpg.a465886f39bccfd86b255b82f5bb43da.jpgs-l1600-78.thumb.jpg.030919b0847622687c90af98365cf0c5.jpg.216aaff58286177702629f0be88d18d0.jpg

Popular in Utah, Superman....

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Person would be in their 80's at minimum by now, and could have a different last name.

Hopefully she is still alive, and a spinster.

Maybe she found no man that could live up to Superman?   :wink:

48 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Maybe one of you lucky board members who have any raw 1939 issues could take a look and see if there are any membership or subscription offers

The GRR has every page from the first 5 issues of Superman, and the first 6 issues of Action uploaded. You may find what you seek there.  (thumbsu

Edited by G G ®

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Both mailed from the same hamlet on the same date in 1939??!!!  How astonishing is not only that BUT how astonishing is it that both of these envelopes still exist???  Absolutely incredible! (Hope that we're not the victims of photoshopping here  :gossip:)

This HAS to be two friends writing at the same time for the same reason.  They probably both decided on a hot late June day or July 1 to write their letters at the same time for the same reason and mail them at exactly the same time.  

One of the most incredible things that I've seen in this hobby.  Great work Marwood!.

Edited by pemart1966

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Both mailed from the same hamlet on the same date in 1939??!!!  How astonishing is not only that BUT how astonishing is it that both of these envelopes still exist???  Absolutely incredible! (Hope that we're not the victims of photoshopping here  :gossip:)

This HAS to be two friends writing at the same time for the same reason.  They probably both decided on a hot June or July day to write their letters at the same time for the same reason and mail them at exactly the same time.  

One of the most incredible things that I've seen in this hobby.  Great work Marwood!.

Same writing too, isn't it? Look at the 480.

Maybe teacher addressed them, and two of her students added their names?

Just now, pemart1966 said:

Where's Poirot when you need him!

Just now, pemart1966 said:

The recipient would have been "Action Comics" not the two girls...

Exactly, so the recipient - a worker at Action Comics / DC, kept them and they found their way out into the wilderness from the one source....

2 minutes ago, goldenacase said:

That blows me away:cool: I can't believe you found this... and looks to be the same writing 

A little hint  - if it existed on the web in an article, what would it likely say in the text? I searched "Superman c/o action comics" in inverted commas and up it popped.

On 2/24/2021 at 1:50 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Exactly, so the recipient - a worker at Action Comics / DC, kept them and they found their way out into the wilderness from the one source....

That has to be the only explanation.  The "why" would be the interesting part.

Edited by pemart1966

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Same writing too, isn't it? Look at the 480.

Maybe teacher addressed them, and two of her students added their names?

Not likely as school would have been out for the summer at the time that those envelopes were addressed.  One of the two sisters addressed them.

Unfortunately, neither of the Outzen sisters responsible for these covers are still with us. Mary Lamar passed away in 2005; she had married in the early 1950s, but details about her are scarce and I don't believe she had children. Ann Marie died in 2008, after a fairly interesting life. There is still a scholarship offered in her name to Occupational Therapy students at the University of Utah.

I don't know if she ever got a response to her letter, but I think she did her childhood superhero proud.

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I don't know if she ever got a response to her letter, but I think she did her childhood superhero proud.

Hopefully they did - if our unknown Action Comics recipient was astute enough to save both envelopes, I'm pretty sure they'd have been the type to reply to both :)