• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Letter To Superman
2 2

68 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Under normal conditions most would agree, but given the research that was all found and posted in this thread it is more than likely these are genuine.  This sleuth work was posted earlier in the thread. 20210228_153528.jpg.c50a19c218a7d0a50aabea964fb6ef9a.jpg

Meaning the two letters were written by two sisters given similarly in some of the writings on the envelopes leads to the thought that some of it was more than likely filled out by one of the parents, and  then the remaining by each daughter.  They were also probably mailed together.  Which would also be common for that time and resulted in the same PO stamp. 

Ah! Sweet. I missed that part. Thanks! Very cool, then.

38 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Ah! Sweet. I missed that part. Thanks! Very cool, then.

You are welcome.  It was originally just posted as a link to Ancestry dot com. Which I could see several people just skimming over, but these boards have such a communal wealth of information that I have actually gotten to the point that I try to go through what they have taken their time to share, as some of it truly is amazing. 

I too thought this was a very cool story given the total amount of information still available to connect the dots to some of its history.  

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

You are welcome.  It was originally just posted as a link to Ancestry dot com. Which I could see several people just skimming over, but these boards have such a communal wealth of information that I have actually gotten to the point that I try to go through what they have taken their time to share, as some of it truly is amazing. 

I too thought this was a very cool story given the total amount of information still available to connect the dots to some of its history.  

Right on! I did the same with a piece being sold on CL. A Supermen Club Of America set. Turns out the girl who owned the set actually made some Google. Very cool to research some of these kids and see what happened to them.

I lived in an apt that was owned by an elderly man. Going up the stairs into the attic were books and boxes. In a box was a daguerreotype of what was probably a 9 year old boy. Nothing on the back. I always wondered what this long dead kid had done with his life and how things went for him. He's lost to the ages.

3 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Right on! I did the same with a piece being sold on CL. A Supermen Club Of America set. Turns out the girl who owned the set actually made some Google. Very cool to research some of these kids and see what happened to them.

I lived in an apt that was owned by an elderly man. Going up the stairs into the attic were books and boxes. In a box was a daguerreotype of what was probably a 9 year old boy. Nothing on the back. I always wondered what this long dead kid had done with his life and how things went for him. He's lost to the ages.

Yes it truly is amazing what can be found in the digital age. Some of the stories continue to surprise.  Definitely a cool history behind the Superman Club Set. Sometimes you never know. 

I wanted to thank everyone all the info on the envelope it just makes it way more special with all the added background info from boardies. But just a few minutes ago I hit BIN on this  "Christmas Envelope from Batman". Thanks again once again... this could be my new hobby lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-Batman-33-Christmas-Comic-Cover-Envelope-DC-Comics/154362767015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600-80.jpg

Edited by goldenacase

1 hour ago, goldenacase said:

I wanted to thank everyone all the info on the envelope it just makes it way more special with all the added background info from boardies. But just a few minutes ago I hit BIN on this  "Christmas Envelope from Batman". Thanks again once again... this could be my new hobby lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-Batman-33-Christmas-Comic-Cover-Envelope-DC-Comics/154362767015?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600-80.jpg

I've never seen this before.  What is the story behind it?

Strange that the stamps are cancelled but that the letter is not addressed...