• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you sell a high dollar item on ebay to someone with zero feedback
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I don't think you can send Registered with Ebay. If you want their seller protections you have to buy their postage. Could be missing something though. If I'm questioning a buyer, I'll usually use restricted delivery on FedEx. Requires a the signature of the person on the box.

I also think PO Box is safer for the sole fact they can't claim it never arrived. While it may mask a buyers address, they take money and a bit of time to get one. I use one so I can guarantee my package won't walk off on my porch.

44 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I don't think you can send Registered with Ebay. If you want their seller protections you have to buy their postage. Could be missing something though. If I'm questioning a buyer, I'll usually use restricted delivery on FedEx. Requires a the signature of the person on the box.

I also think PO Box is safer for the sole fact they can't claim it never arrived. While it may mask a buyers address, they take money and a bit of time to get one. I use one so I can guarantee my package won't walk off on my porch.

Registered mail is not an option on ebay, which is also a drag if you want to insure an expensive book. A 3K book will cost you about $24 more to send trough regular insured priority than insured registered mail. You could purchase  RM postage through USPS and then enter the tracking number on ebay, but as you say, it appears to void seller protections if you don't buy postage through them.

Happened to me over Christmas.  Happened to have an extra ps5 that my brother didn't want so I listed it on ebay and someone bought it immediately with no feedback. 

I was worried too but they paid, got the item, and everything went through.  I agree with everyone else saying, pay  the extra money for registered mail for peace of mind. 

Depends what you're selling

The PS5 I could see because it could be a parent wanting to buy their kid a PS5 for Christmas and they just joined Feebay for that sole purpose , but selling a CGC copy of FF 5?

I wouldn't sell that book to 0 feedback

Just my 2c

Edited by Comics4All

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Never again.

I've had people send back a completely different item than the one I sold them, claiming it wasn't what they ordered. Ebay sided with the buyer until I finally managed to convince them I was being scammed. No consideration given by eBay even though I have 100% positive feedback and the "buyer" already had several negatives for this type of behavior.

Not cool at all...  

@classicaaron - this situation above is what I would be most worried about were I in your shoes. 

I personally don't sell anything worth anything on eBay anymore.  I found that the scammers and thrill bidders can have every number >= 0 next to their name; feedback scores are almost irrelevant these days as buyers face no consequences no matter the level of their misconduct.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

Don't you feel like just taking a road trip sometimes.

Unfortunately, the "buyer" was located in Oregon (I reside in Michigan). Luckily, I was able to complete the sale by convincing eBay that I was being scammed, but you haven't really lived until you go through that process...  :pullhair:

To date, there is no requirement to purchase Ebay Shipping labels to get Seller Protection.  You can use any carrier, any interface that you want - Stamps.com, PirateShip.com, USPS Click-N-Ship, Endicia, PayPal Shipping, etc. 

Personally, I prefer PirateShip.com because it is free to use, labels are about the same price, they don't toy withe interface for no reason like eBay does, and best of all it's money eBay DOESN'T get. 

You have to post the tracking number to eBay, and most of those services are integrated so they do it automatically by association.  In any case, you have to meet ALL the requirements of Seller Protection to be eligible - tracked, shows as delivered, etc., as described here:

After the payment dispute was received, you provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:

• Tracking number provided by the shipping company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification)
  • A delivery status of "delivered"
  • Date of delivery
  • Recipient's address, matching the address displayed on the order (including the city, county, zip code or international equivalent)
  • Proof of signature confirmation if an order has a total cost (including shipping and taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

Check out the complete program here: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345

Edited by Lightning55

On 2/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, The Lions Den said:

Unfortunately, the "buyer" was located in Oregon (I reside in Michigan). Luckily, I was able to complete the sale by convincing eBay that I was being scammed, but you haven't really lived until you go through that process...  :pullhair:

After several years of being a cautious seller/buyer, I recently was on the flip side of this. The seller never sent a "pre order" and the short version is just like most said, ebay was indifferent. Eventually, PP ended up refunding my purchase but with all the hoops from start to finish, it took about six weeks to see my money. I rarely do pre-orders on ebay and will just stick to my normal comic venders going forward.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE