• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay and grading of comics

7 posts in this topic

I am a complete noob with this topic but have recently purchased four CGC graded comics from eBay.

If a vendor’s comic is listed as near mint (but not CGC’d but assuming an accurate description) what CGC rating range should be expected if actually graded?

Would I be out of line requesting the comic be CGC graded where I pay for the grading as well as something above the current selling price for the vendor’s time and effort?

Thanks...

Welcome To The Boards!!!

That is an impossible question to answer, you would need to see high resolution pics of the book (Inside and Outside of Front and Rear cover, edges, spine, corners, staples and all interior pages) to get an "approximate, estimated" grade, without having the book in hand it is near impossible to give a truly accurate grade and even then, would CGC agree with that grade?

Remember, CGC graders are human, even they are not consistent, but as of right now they are the standard of the grading industry, are they always 100% accurate?

I would suggest you purchase a copy of...

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition

so you can visually see the differences (even the minute differences between NM- 9.2 and NM 9.4, or NM 9.4 and NM+ 9.6, and so on) in grades and learn about grading, you can also use this...

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

18 hours ago, Carlisleblue226 said:

I am a complete noob with this topic but have recently purchased four CGC graded comics from eBay.

If a vendor’s comic is listed as near mint (but not CGC’d but assuming an accurate description) what CGC rating range should be expected if actually graded?

Would I be out of line requesting the comic be CGC graded where I pay for the grading as well as something above the current selling price for the vendor’s time and effort?

Thanks...

Yes, because the seller would have already otherwise done this.

Thanks...

If you want a book that CGC has graded, buy a book that CGC has already graded.

If a vendor is selling raw books, there are any number of reasons why they are doing so. 

Thanks...

NM- to NM would be 9.0 to 10 ( if that's what your asking?) 

A few things. 

1) it would be unusual to ask a seller to grade a book that's currently raw. If only due to the time and expense it takes to grade a book he's trying to sell. If he wanted the hassel he likely would have graded it before listing. 

Alternativly you could request he accept a return if you CGC it and his grade is off. Although we I wouldn't imagine that would be enforceable. 

2) I wouldn't trust an eBay description.  It's common for eBay sellers to intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent the condition of books. 

Learning to grade is great, but if your interested in the book, I would recommend buying one already graded. 

Thanks for all the assistance.

Here’s my quandary. I’ve become a huge Alita: Battle Angel fan and am building a collection. I am trying to locate the first nine issues from Viz Comics that are CGC’d. Last week, I purchased four of the nine including the #1 issue on eBay. There are a few of the remaining five issues on eBay as well just not CGC’d. The sellers do make claims of their condition. I just don’t want to purchase a claimed NM, then send it off to CGC and it is returned slabbed as a 7.

That being said, comic collecting is a great hobby. I’m happy to be here as well as starting getting to know you guys...

35 minutes ago, Carlisleblue226 said:

Thanks for all the assistance.

Here’s my quandary. I’ve become a huge Alita: Battle Angel fan and am building a collection. I am trying to locate the first nine issues from Viz Comics that are CGC’d. Last week, I purchased four of the nine including the #1 issue on eBay. There are a few of the remaining five issues on eBay as well just not CGC’d. The sellers do make claims of their condition. I just don’t want to purchase a claimed NM, then send it off to CGC and it is returned slabbed as a 7.

That being said, comic collecting is a great hobby. I’m happy to be here as well as starting getting to know you guys...

My best advice then is to better understand how to grade. that will be an invaluable skill in this hobby and its rather easy to learn. Look up the Overstreet Grading Guide on Amazon. Best thing you could ever buy.

You can tell if its NM before sending to CGC. If it's not as described then file an e-bay claim.

Glad you found us!

Edited by William-James88