• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I even get it graded??
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Cool book! (thumbsu And welcome to the boards.

The choice to get it slabbed is completely up to you. Lots of people have very valuable books that they don’t get slabbed, others slab moderns worth next to nothing. It’s just a personal choice.

Have you checked the book for completeness? That’s usually a good idea before submitting to CGC. You don’t want any surprises.

55 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

I got this book for free! It was from a gift from my Girlfriend! She got it for $60 bucks. There's only 6 on the cenus and and a 1.0 sold for $215. I was curious even if I should get it graded or not! Thoughts?

She's a keeper...

Awesome book and pretty rare. 

As others have mentioned, the choice to get it graded is yours.

If you are planning to hang onto it, read and enjoy it, then there is really no need to grade it. If you are looking to monetize it, grading will help maximize the value. 

Those old comics are really cool to read through. The Ads, the stories and art. MLJ, outside of Archie had a pretty unique style and stable of great artists, so I bet that's filled with cool stuff.  Steel Sterling! 

Really cool book. If I were you, I'd keep it raw for now. And if you decide down the road that you'd like to sell it, then consider grading it as that would make it easier to sell. 

But yeah, if you do decide to get it graded, count the pages and consider going over it with a black light just so you don't end up with any surprises when you get it back. 

Edit: just saw that you have counted the pages. Whoops. Cool beans, bro. Very nice book. 

Edited by profholt82

I have a completely different opinion than the others on here. Would you GF understand the difference between a graded book and an ungraded book? If she does then she would think that you cherish the book to get it graded. Do you have graded books that you are proud of and show off? If you do GET IT GRADED so she knows you really like it, even if its not financially "worth" it. 

11 minutes ago, thesink said:

I have a completely different opinion than the others on here. Would you GF understand the difference between a graded book and an ungraded book? If she does then she would think that you cherish the book to get it graded. Do you have graded books that you are proud of and show off? If you do GET IT GRADED so she knows you really like it, even if its not financially "worth" it. 

tenor.gif An COOL 100th post! :tink: memorialized!  :banana: 

image.png

6 minutes ago, thesink said:

3 years and 100 posts a better name would be mostly lurking.

lol No worries, and I agreed with your post (thumbsu it's all in the fun :) Maybe he should at least read it first to know the story. Still, it was a thoughtful gift and he should respond to it thoughtfully, which he was trying to do, and you gave a different perspective, COOL!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol No worries, and I agreed with your post (thumbsu it's all in the fun :) Maybe he should at least read it first to know the story. Still, it was a thoughtful gift and he should respond to it thoughtfully, which he was trying to do, and you gave a different perspective, COOL!

oh, your post was all good. I was commenting on my lack of engagement over an extended period of time. 

Edited by thesink

On 2/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, thesink said:

I agree! I do love her and I got her Sushi and a gift to show I am grateful for the gift! The story with Ruby was good but the others were covered in 40s slang 😂  being 22 I have no idea what most of them mean

This

The whole process of waiting on the grade could be fun. 

My wife said a slabbed book shows the authenticity of the value of a book, whereas raw books are up in the air and subject to trimming/color touch/restoration. She also stated she would not get a book slabbed unless the resale exceeds the cost of grading by a margin of at least 2×.

If you are meticulous with your organization, you need to decide whether a single issue filed away in a mixed box would  make you feel better than a slabbed book that has to be stored elsewhere or displayed. I have a bunch of complete or mostly complete runs where maybe 5 issues were slabbed when I bought them, and it bothers me when I'm thumbing through my collection and encounter empty spots. It doesn't seem right that they're somewhere else, but I've resisted the urge to free them so far.

1 minute ago, Pat Thomas said:

If you are meticulous with your organization, you need to decide whether a single issue filed away in a mixed box would  make you feel better than a slabbed book that has to be stored elsewhere or displayed. I have a bunch of complete or mostly complete runs where maybe 5 issues were slabbed when I bought them, and it bothers me when I'm thumbing through my collection and encounter empty spots. It doesn't seem right that they're somewhere else, but I've resisted the urge to free them so far.

That is an excellent point....especially with runs