• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Closed) Thank you everyone
9 9

165 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Qalyar said:

My girlfriend would murder me if I tried to start a Bell Features collection at this point, but I'm passing word of this listing on to a Canadian collector friend of mine, to see if she's interested in picking this up.

Otherwise, I mostly just wanted to jump in here to give you some context about this book, since you said you didn't have much information, and because it really doesn't come up very often. This is one of the six 1945 Bell Features reprint compendiums. Like many early publishers, most of Bell's main titles (like Triumph, Joke, and Wow) weren't single-character books, but included a variety of different comic stories, text features, and miscellaneous other content. In 1945, Bell opted to assemble previously printed material from five of its most popular characters into 68-page compendiums (you'll note I said six earlier, that's not a mistake). Those books are:

• Nelvana of the Northern Lights, reprinting material from Triumph. This is the Nelvana book with the bright red cover that is probably the most iconic Canadian White.
  • Speed Savage, reprinting material from Triumph. Weirdly, this was reprinted with a different cover for the UK market. In case you want the watch Canadian White collectors fight the UK variant collectors over a book, I guess?
  • Tang the Wonder Horse, reprinting material from Triumph.
  • This book, Spike & Mike, reprinting material from Joke.
  • Phantom Rider, reprinting material from Wow.
  • And the sixth 1945 compendium, which isn't a single-character book. Thrilling Stories for Boys reprints a random bunch of the text filler stories from miscellaneous Bell books.

Valuation on stuff like this is always challenging. I'm aware of the existence of at least two other copies of Spike & Mike in private hands. One is a dog of a book that would likely grade around a 1.8 (but has a badly stained front cover that presents badly); I don't believe it has changed hands in the last decade. The other sold back in 2014 at Heritage as a FN/VF copy for $1250; I would not be surprised if this went quite a bit higher if it was resold today.

Thank you so very much for all the information that you just provided. That helps myself and potential buyer.  Thank you for taking the time to post this. 

4 hours ago, Qalyar said:

My girlfriend would murder me if I tried to start a Bell Features collection at this point, but I'm passing word of this listing on to a Canadian collector friend of mine, to see if she's interested in picking this up.

Otherwise, I mostly just wanted to jump in here to give you some context about this book, since you said you didn't have much information, and because it really doesn't come up very often. This is one of the six 1945 Bell Features reprint compendiums. Like many early publishers, most of Bell's main titles (like Triumph, Joke, and Wow) weren't single-character books, but included a variety of different comic stories, text features, and miscellaneous other content. In 1945, Bell opted to assemble previously printed material from five of its most popular characters into 68-page compendiums (you'll note I said six earlier, that's not a mistake). Those books are:

• Nelvana of the Northern Lights, reprinting material from Triumph. This is the Nelvana book with the bright red cover that is probably the most iconic Canadian White.
  • Speed Savage, reprinting material from Triumph. Weirdly, this was reprinted with a different cover for the UK market. In case you want the watch Canadian White collectors fight the UK variant collectors over a book, I guess?
  • Tang the Wonder Horse, reprinting material from Triumph.
  • This book, Spike & Mike, reprinting material from Joke.
  • Phantom Rider, reprinting material from Wow.
  • And the sixth 1945 compendium, which isn't a single-character book. Thrilling Stories for Boys reprints a random bunch of the text filler stories from miscellaneous Bell books.

Valuation on stuff like this is always challenging. I'm aware of the existence of at least two other copies of Spike & Mike in private hands. One is a dog of a book that would likely grade around a 1.8 (but has a badly stained front cover that presents badly); I don't believe it has changed hands in the last decade. The other sold back in 2014 at Heritage as a FN/VF copy for $1250; I would not be surprised if this went quite a bit higher if it was resold today.

Yes, I would imagine several Canadian collectors would be interested in this.  Hopefully they know someone in the U.S. that they can get it shipped to so they can partake.

21 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

Up 1st up is a copy of 

Clean fun Shoogafoots Jones #nn cgc 7.5 cr/ow pages

A 6.5 sold in aug 2020 for 361.00 most recent. A 7.5 sold low 3/20 for 204.00 and a 7.0 sold 3/18 for 410.00. So this all over

My price 450.00 or best offer.

20210224_193724.jpg

20210224_193750.jpg

20210224_193736.jpg

20210224_193739.jpg

20210224_193731.jpg

20210224_193742.jpg

20210224_193800.jpg

20210224_193803.jpg

20210224_193755.jpg

20210224_193758.jpg

Take per PM

7 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

Yes, i received a take it at full ask message. Buyer just did not want to be known. 

Gotcha.   That book has exploded, all grades are up for grabs.    My own take is that I sold my collection off a few years back, but hung onto 3 copies of this book.. to be honest,I was never much of a fan of this issue next to the others.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:07 PM, wolverine180 said:

Here is most of the golden age books that will be in the next part. Hopefully within a few days depending on my schedule.

20210224_205227.jpg

20210224_205334.jpg

Wave 2. The raw golden age i plan on shooting for Monday evening EST. Probably around 7. I am trying to price and grade everything over the weekend as time allows.  I am pulling the gi joe 35 and wow 38 from listing. I had a change of heart. The gi joe cover is to awesome and the wow comic i slid behind my mary marvel bust and it needs to stay there. I apologize to anyone that was interested.  Everything else will be available. Thanks all.

going to try and go for 7pm tonight EST for the raw golden age books, thanks everyone for looking. 

I have no problems with offers, but I will be concentrating on getting books posted 1st. So any questions or offers will be answered last.  Any unconditional take it will rule over any pending or questions. Thanks again

since i removed the gi joe 35 and wow 38 the other day, i have added these few to hopefully make up for it, there will be a couple freebies as well. The freebies are SUPER rough shape, but can go to good homes of people that purchase something. 4 freebies total. Max 1 per person please. thanks

20210301_184326.jpg