• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best 1st comic purchase Value Wise ($0-$500)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

Buy something that you'll enjoy and will keep you interested in the hobby. Favorite character, story or artists.... 

Exactly this.  Find what interests you regardless of if the value jumps up or drops.  It's hard for anyone to say "you should buy THIS comic for $500" without knowing anything about you or your collecting habits.

Are you more interested in collecting 1st appearances, 1st issues or complete runs of a title?  What age are you looking to collect?  Golden/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern?

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading on this forum to get an idea of how others collect and what you're really interested in.  The latter is the most important past of this.

1 minute ago, Mintier said:

What a bass ackwards way to do things. You should probably find a different hobby.

I want a graded comic to put on my shelf. Probably 20 or so years from now I’d sell it along with my other collectibles. I’d just like something that has a higher chance of holding value for when I do inevitably sell one day in the future. 

41 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Exactly this.  Find what interests you regardless of if the value jumps up or drops.  It's hard for anyone to say "you should buy THIS comic for $500" without knowing anything about you or your collecting habits.

Are you more interested in collecting 1st appearances, 1st issues or complete runs of a title?  What age are you looking to collect?  Golden/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern?

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading on this forum to get an idea of how others collect and what you're really interested in.  The latter is the most important past of this.

This indeed. Perhaps a cover that you really admire. If it is purely for investment, then I too recommend more research.

15 minutes ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

I want a graded comic to put on my shelf. Probably 20 or so years from now I’d sell it along with my other collectibles. I’d just like something that has a higher chance of holding value for when I do inevitably sell one day in the future. 

The truth is, no one knows what will happen in 20 years. Comic prices are driven by characters, movies, TV shows and speculation. Allot of things out of our control.

For me personally, I'm a GA/SA/BA guy. I would go after those secondary keys. ASM101, Avengers 57, maybe ASM50 in as high of a grade as you can get (likely VG). Now, the market is on fire so I'm not even sure you'll find one of those for $500, but that's where my mind went. Big characters, key books, and a good chance of holding value and likely increasing. 

I don't really know moderns, but UF4 has allot of buzz. Likely better growth potential. From afar, it reminds me of Spawn 1 many years ago. Ton of buzz, folks hoarding copies and then it never really materialized. So if you feel strongly about that book, it's probably got bigger upside, with a little more risk. Just my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

Looking into buying my 1st ever comic. Have roughly $500 to spend on it. Willing to buy raw and send in to get graded or I am open to buying already graded. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Why do you want to spend $500 on a comic book

16 hours ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

Looking into buying my 1st ever comic. Have roughly $500 to spend on it. Willing to buy raw and send in to get graded or I am open to buying already graded. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Batman beyond 1 NM raw.  Get that slabbed and if its a 9.8 you will hit it big.   Especially when a movie shows up... which it will.  

Also, it hasn't hit the insane boom of the last few weeks, just organically growing over the past year so you can definitely find a NM raw at a good price right now.  Just be careful because there are a bunch of different versions.  Make sure to get the 1st print.  

Edited by Wolverinex

7 hours ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

OH leave him alone. Yes, it is weird to jump all in and spend $500 on your first comic. most of us started at 25 or 50 cents. 

$500 gets you a somewhat nice NYX 3. First X-23, the little fire cracker from the logan movie. It is an attractive cover if you are interested in display.

$500 gets you a New Mutants 98 in 9.4. Not the most sought after grade, but in 20 years, who knows? Your buddies will know who it is.

Pay close attention..do not buy the facsimile versions!

As you want to display it, the cover probably matters. $500 can get you a decent Iron Man 55, but Thanos is not on the cover

Edited by the blob

7 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Batman beyond 1 NM raw.  Get that slabbed and if its a 9.8 you will hit it big.   Especially when a movie shows up... which it will.  

Also, it hasn't hit the insane boom of the last few weeks, just organically growing over the past year so you can definitely find a NM raw at a good price right now.  Just be careful because there are a bunch of different versions.  Make sure to get the 1st print.  

why do you think finding a raw 9.8 for $500 is feasible? this one was over $600 and it wouldn't be a 9.8: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Beyond-1-1999-DC-Comics-NM-Origin-First-Appearance-/324478510551?hash=item4b8c6d25d7%3Ag%3A45YAAOSwtEFgHZrS&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

we're talking about a $2500 book in cgc 9.8. raw copies that can be 9.8s are hardly going to be easy to find, particularly as there is plenty of incentive to slab any nice copy as even 9.0 is around $500

$500 can probably get you a cgc 8.0 conan 1

that's a nice recognized display book

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conan-1-CGC-8-0-White-Pages-1st-app-Conan-Roy-Thomas/254836655875?hash=item3b5572c703:g:phAAAOSwrB5f9ofJ

i can't tell you if its a great investment. none of the books i cited are rare. but i used to think iron man 1 and Fantastic four 48 were so common they'd never get really expensive. i was wrong.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

why do you think finding a raw 9.8 for $500 is feasible? this one was over $600 and it wouldn't be a 9.8: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Beyond-1-1999-DC-Comics-NM-Origin-First-Appearance-/324478510551?hash=item4b8c6d25d7%3Ag%3A45YAAOSwtEFgHZrS&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

we're talking about a $2500 book in cgc 9.8. raw copies that can be 9.8s are hardly going to be easy to find, particularly as there is plenty of incentive to slab any nice copy as even 9.0 is around $500

Wow. I didnt realize they bumped up that much...I guess he could pick up a slabbed 9.0 or 9.2

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Wow. I didnt realize they bumped up that much...I guess he could pick up a slabbed 9.0 or 9.2

wasn't THAT long ago I sold a 5.0 or so ASM 129 on these boards for about $130-50. I was psyched as I had just bought it for $50 at a shop.