• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best 1st comic purchase Value Wise ($0-$500)
1 1

42 posts in this topic

There are countless comics to consider no doubt. If you have any interest in Spidey/Venom, consider investing $300 to 350-ish for a CGC 9.8 of Venom #3 (8/2018 First Full Appearance of Knull - Stegman/Mayer Cover) venom 3 cgc 9.8 | eBay

or

Venom #7 CGC 9.8 (12/2018 Cameo App of Dylan Brock) for roughly the same but maybe a bit more as they are a bit tougher to find venom 7 cgc 9.8 crain | eBay

I think others will agree that the values of these comics keep increasing and could be a safe bet, though no one can predict what the future holds.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

12 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

$500 can buy a pretty great Golden Age comic. There are plenty of LB Cole covers that can be had in that price range up to mid-grade. 

this is true. but it sounds like the OP wants to display this thing. and while the covers are cool, the content means little to someone new to comics or his buddies he wants to impress.

If you can find a decent looking WW II era Timely with Cap or Namor punching a nazi in the face for $500, that is a pretty cool display piece: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-Comics-43-CGC-Universal-Grade-3-0-1944-Timely-Comics-/203207208144?hash=item2f5017ecd0%3Ag%3AxrsAAOSwRodfySDl&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

you probably have a better chance getting on ok copy of the human torch / toro or bucky punching someone in the face though at near that price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kid-Komics-8-CGC-5-5-O-W-p-Schomburg-c-Young-Allies-Timely-1945-j-4526/363304848045?hash=item5496a80aad:g:HskAAOSw3ypgLqjw

(unfortunately some of these are a bit racist)

21 hours ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

Looking into buying my 1st ever comic. Have roughly $500 to spend on it. Willing to buy raw and send in to get graded or I am open to buying already graded. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Walking Dead 19.... #2 Key First Appearance (Michonne), arguably the best TWD cover and on a nice upward price trend.  $500 should get you a 9.8.

22 hours ago, Colby Wilkinson said:

Looking into buying my 1st ever comic. Have roughly $500 to spend on it. Willing to buy raw and send in to get graded or I am open to buying already graded. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Get a detective Comics 359. You can get a decent copy in that price range and it's bound to go up in 20 years.

I have the same budget and idea as you and that's what I will buy.

Edited by William-James88

22 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I don't really know moderns, but UF4 has allot of buzz. Likely better growth potential. From afar, it reminds me of Spawn 1 many years ago. Ton of buzz, folks hoarding copies and then it never really materialized. So if you feel strongly about that book, it's probably got bigger upside, with a little more risk. Just my opinion. 

While I get the sentiment, comparing UF4 to Spawn 1 is a poor comparison for the following reasons:

UF4 print run - under 100K

Spawn 1 print run - over 2 million

Miles Morales - Oscar winning animated film and PS5 launch title....bright, bright future as the Spiderman for todays youth.  Wait until he pops into the MCU and then we'll really find out what kind of legs this character has.

Al Simmons - poorly made movie from 1997 that not a lot of people from today (especially youth) knows about with a questionable movie potentially up in the air being produced by Todd McFarlane "starring" Jamie Foxx maybe?

26 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

While I get the sentiment, comparing UF4 to Spawn 1 is a poor comparison for the following reasons:

UF4 print run - under 100K

Spawn 1 print run - over 2 million

Miles Morales - Oscar winning animated film and PS5 launch title....bright, bright future as the Spiderman for todays youth.  Wait until he pops into the MCU and then we'll really find out what kind of legs this character has.

Al Simmons - poorly made movie from 1997 that not a lot of people from today (especially youth) knows about with a questionable movie potentially up in the air being produced by Todd McFarlane "starring" Jamie Foxx maybe?

You are probably right. I really don't know much about UF4.  My oldest son loved the movie. 

I was like 19 during the Spawn craze and had a half dozen NM copies.  I think I've given them all to my brother since. 

On 2/24/2021 at 10:39 PM, Colby Wilkinson said:

Welcome to comic collecting. Hopefully you stick around and let us know what you collect and what kind of comic characters or movies you like. It helps tailor answers to your request. Your question drew a lot of responses and we respond more if you gave us a little more information. 

I collected comics on and off for 22 years before I ever bought a book for more than $300. I remember how exciting it was. 

There is so much fun you could have in our hobby with $500, where do we start? It really is a competitive price point that spans all ages of comics from low grade gold and silver age books to high grade modern speculation books. 

Don't buy raw and spend the time and money to submit one book. There are too many pitfalls for you as a noob and we have whole threads dedicated to these. Whole forums (e.g. restoration). The right book, right grade can be bought with the slabbing fees already taken into account. In some cases you can buy a slabbed book for cheaper than it would be for you to send it in. Having it already slabbed helps with resale. 

Buy from one of our guys or from one of us. Like High Grade Comics. https://www.highgradecomics.com/. This will also help reduce risk. 

Buy a first appearance of a character or a Classic cover only. You're not really a comic guy and you're not displaying it so it has to be cool to look at or a first appearance of a character people will know. Otherwise what are you going to talk about if people ask? 

Display your sweet comic in some type of UV protective CGC frame. They are about $30. 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

If you’re going to hold it for 20 years it may as well be fun to look at. While there are so many great covers from all the eras, here are some of my favorite covers.  Whatever you choose find the best universal (blue label) grade you can afford.

Incredible Hulk #180 - bright yellow cover, fun hulk battle scene and first cameo appearance of Wolverine

Fantastic Four #49 - dark cover with great color contrast. 1st full appearance of Galactus. Galactus is cool. 

X-Men #94 - second appearance of new X-men. X-men falling on cover. 

Amazing Spider-man #50. Just look at the cover. Also first appearance of Kingpin. 

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Msgarmar

If I were looking for one comic to display, and I didn't have a favorite character, I'd probably go with a comic that had something related to my profession on the cover.  e.g.  Software Engineer: look for a computer cover; Attorney: look for a courtroom cover; Doctor: look for an operating room cover.

If you're looking to flip, get some Black Panther 2's raw and have them graded asap.

If you're looking for an amazing story that also has value, get a full run of SCUD: The Disposable Assassin and as many #1 first prints you can (regardless of condition).

On 2/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Flammenwerfer said:

-I would by an Amazing Spider Man 300-

Even though I prefer Silver Age books I was thinking the same thing, especially if the OP likes Venom and thinks he's here to stay in the MCU...it also has a cool cover.

Based on current GPA numbers, $500 will get you a CGC-graded 6.5 - 7.5 copy, but I don't know if it's lagging behind recent sales...