• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Tales February 1928
2 2

23 posts in this topic

1928 issues of Weird Tales are readily available, except for this particular issue.  That tells me that they exist, but they are locked up in collections.  Lovecraft has always been heavily collected, so that's no real surprise.

Yeah, I bid pretty strongly on that Heritage copy too, but fell a little short.  I was trying to upgrade.  :cry:

I personally believe the February 1928 is slightly scarcer than the other issues around it in absolute numbers... The cover always looks like somebody doing a parody of "Weird Tales" rather than the actual thing, which I suspect dropped the number of people picking it up on impulse rather than regularly collecting the title back when it was released.  But I'm pretty sure it's not that much scarcer, and the major cause of the apparent rarity is that nobody wants to let the book go.  I don't have a copy.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I personally believe the February 1928 is slightly scarcer than the other issues around it in absolute numbers... The cover always looks like somebody doing a parody of "Weird Tales" rather than the actual thing, which I suspect dropped the number of people picking it up on impulse rather than regularly collecting the title back when it was released.  But I'm pretty sure it's not that much scarcer, and the major cause of the apparent rarity is that nobody wants to let the book go.  I don't have a copy.

It is one of the weaker covers of the red frame era, though I don't know if that has any impact on the surviving copies. As you say, Lovecraft collectors just don't want to let it go. In my limited experience Lovecraft fans tend to be a bit more obsessive than say Howard fans. 

I waited years to get a copy of this around 2005-2010.  I was willing to pay decent money for a low grade copy and it never came my way.  This is one reason why I gave up on pulps... I really wanted to get this one.

Even though the cover is flat out terrible!

Edited by *paull*

In your quest to find where copies are located, I will let you know I purchased the copy from Heritage last year. I have no interest in selling it, but wanted to let you know its whereabouts. I'm not sure what's on the inside, but I found the woodwork of the Ghost Table fascinating. Best of luck on your hunt!

23 hours ago, Polonsky said:

In your quest to find where copies are located, I will let you know I purchased the copy from Heritage last year. I have no interest in selling it, but wanted to let you know its whereabouts. I'm not sure what's on the inside, but I found the woodwork of the Ghost Table fascinating. Best of luck on your hunt!

I appreciate the disclosure! That was an amazing copy for sure and I'm glad to hear it went to a fellow boardie at least.

5 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:

I appreciate the disclosure! That was an amazing copy for sure and I'm glad to hear it went to a fellow boardie at least.

Thank you so much! I am very curious myself as to the population, and what other copies look like. It is extremely hard to research, and I think the important reasons have all been mentioned on this thread. I really don't know, are there very few copies, or are there several dozen or more, just in tight hands and collections? Redfury you have an amazing copy as well, and one I would be very proud to own.

I would love to hear how your hunt goes, and any other copies you may come across. I would definitely pick up another copy myself if I came across it, but I'm not holding my breath. I will certainly let you know if I do.