• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[Closed] Daredevil #1 and maybe some others
6 6

120 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, MTMcomics said:

Interesting because I just saw another book in a 7.5 with writing on the back cover. So what is the cut off in grading for writing on the front or back? I’ve never heard a definitive answer to this. Also, you don’t have to be an entitled &@@ with your comment “you must be new to the boards.” 

looks like I was right.

8 minutes ago, gunsmokin said:

Bring an intelligent comment to the thread and I'll be happy to add to it.

Looks like we have different values if you feel that posting a $14,000 book with a bunch of rules but then not taking a few extra minutes to post a pic of the back cover makes sense. As far as intelligence goes, you may be the one lacking a little if you subscribe to that notion as well. Good day and good selling with your used car salesman tactics. I’ll continue to have a little more respect for fellow collectors. 

Edited by MTMcomics

1 hour ago, gunsmokin said:
1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

gunsmokin is the boards jokster...all in jest 

2nd only to you and Liz.

Ryan deserves at least an honorable mention. He makes me fall out of my chair laughing quite frequently.

16 minutes ago, gunsmokin said:
27 minutes ago, MTMcomics said:

Interesting because I just saw another book in a 7.5 with writing on the back cover. So what is the cut off in grading for writing on the front or back? I’ve never heard a definitive answer to this. Also, you don’t have to be an entitled &@@ with your comment “you must be new to the boards.” 

looks like I was right.

I smell a custom title for gumsaflappin'...., :baiting: 

40 minutes ago, MTMcomics said:

Looks like we have different values if you feel that posting a $14,000 book with a bunch of rules but then not taking a few extra minutes to post a pic of the back cover makes sense. As far as intelligence goes, you may be the one lacking a little if you subscribe to that notion as well. Good day and good selling with your used car salesman tactics. I’ll continue to have a little more respect for fellow collectors. 

I didn't sell the book or have any desire to buy it so I have no skin in the game but it is his sale and his rules. If he chooses not to immediately put a back cover scan up, who cares? But your speculation that he could potentially be hiding something obnoxious on the back cover of a book graded 8.5 is ridiculous and I thought as much so I called you out on it. Sorry you got so bent out of shape over it.

40 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

My 2-cents..Is "pending back cover scan" means I "may not" take the book if I don't like the way the "back cover looks"..."I need to decide if I want the book by looking at the back cover first" before I go ahead and "confirm" the deal. 
The other poster did the "Take It" and that person doesn't care what the back cover looks like.  I'm taking that book "even if" it's got writing all over it.  water stains, ripped in half, crayon sketches all over it.."I'm taking it period". 
No condition in place at all.  "I don't have to wait to see the back cover...I'm taking it right now...no conditions attached"...Seems pretty clear to me on who wins the book.  
The person who posted the "Take it" with no "pending" in their post.

This is exactly what his rules looked like to me. I have seen sales posts that state 'take it pending back cover scans ok' which would give that person the right of first refusal. However, this sales thread had no such allowance. Pretty cut-and-dry. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

1 minute ago, gunsmokin said:

I didn't sell the book or have any desire to buy it so I have no skin in the game but it is his sale and his rules. If he chooses not to immediately put a back cover scan up, who cares? But your speculation that he could potentially be hiding something obnoxious on the back cover of a book graded 8.5 is ridiculous and I thought as much so I called you out on it. Sorry you got so bent out of shape over it.

I was being a bit facetious about there being something obnoxious on the back cover but there certainly could have been writing on the back. To some collectors there is a difference in a name being written or a date stamp versus a note reminding someone to do something (yes, I’ve seen something like this before) or a kid that has drawn something, etc. The location and size of the writing can also impact the decision for some collectors. With that said, I completely understand the argument about someone else being willing to take the book regardless of what could have been on the back cover. As another collector mentioned in a one off text, perhaps the best solution would be for the board to include a rule that any book above a certain dollar amount should include a pic of the front and back cover. As for the back and forth banter, no harm, no foul. I appreciate your last response and I mean no ill will. I’m just trying to help look out for other collectors.

2 minutes ago, MTMcomics said:

I was being a bit facetious about there being something obnoxious on the back cover but there certainly could have been writing on the back. To some collectors there is a difference in a name being written or a date stamp versus a note reminding someone to do something (yes, I’ve seen something like this before) or a kid that has drawn something, etc. The location and size of the writing can also impact the decision for some collectors. With that said, I completely understand the argument about someone else being willing to take the book regardless of what could have been on the back cover. As another collector mentioned in a one off text, perhaps the best solution would be for the board to include a rule that any book above a certain dollar amount should include a pic of the front and back cover. As for the back and forth banter, no harm, no foul. I appreciate your last response and I mean no ill will. I’m just trying to help look out for other collectors.

Please, for the love of god, no more rules.

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Solid point..lol Maybe everyone could just include a pic of the front and back as that just seems to make the most sense and especially for a high dollar book. Your comment is the best so far. Well played sir.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Ryan deserves at least an honorable mention. He makes me fall out of my chair laughing quite frequently.

I'll take my participation trophy and stroke it lovingly at night.

34 minutes ago, MTMcomics said:

Comiclink sold the 8.5 DD #1 mentioned by OP without a back cover scan. They are one of the major auction houses and do not provide back cover scans for 95%+ of their books. (the $400k Cap #1 and $195K DD #1 9.6 got back cover scans. Maybe their cut off is six figure books). Yes, it is a point of contention by many, but it has not dissuaded buyers from paying very strong prices for many different books from Comiclink. The best part about Comiclink is that you can request a back cover scan and...hear nothing.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

:whatthe: Everyone needs a suitable wall of text sufficient to prevent anyone from wading through it all. :sumo: 

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:
1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Are you proposing a more rules..rule?

It sounds like a good idea to me...., hm