Personal Collection
4 4

72 posts in this topic

How many of the members here use CGC for their personal collection? i saw post on Facebook two days ago that said "use CGC for flipping"

I thought that cant be right, most of my slabs are CGC and aren't going anywhere. Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DTM700 said:

Delete Facebook. It’s not good for anyone.

Lmao!! i seriously considered it. It's a gigantic waste of time except for a few collecting groups I'm in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ninja0215 said:

How many of the members here use CGC for their personal collection? i saw post on Facebook two days ago that said "use CGC for flipping"

I thought that cant be right, most of my slabs are CGC and aren't going anywhere. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what that expression (in bold above) was supposed to mean, nor how the personal collection aspect comes in.  But we are looking at it out of its original context.

Usually when the word "flipping" is being used, it means to buy something and quickly sell it, not to keep.  So that heads in the opposite direction of personal collection, which usually is to hold.

If they meant that they keep their personal collection raw, and then slab to sell (not really flip), that makes sense.  Many people prefer not to slab, and spend their resources on additional comics instead of grading/slabbing.  But that's not flipping. 

And by slabbing, they are trying to get the maximize the return on it now that they have decided to liquidate it.

Edited by Lightning55
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lightning55 said:

I'm not sure what that expression (in bold above)was supposed to mean, nor how the personal collection aspect comes in.  But we are looking at it out of its original context.

Usually when the word "flipping" is being used, it means to buy something and quickly sell it, not to keep.  So that heads in the opposite direction of personal collection, which usually is to hold.

If they meant that they keep their personal collection raw, and then slab to sell (not really flip), that makes sense.  Many people prefer not to slab, and spend their resources on additional comics instead of grading/slabbing.  But that's not flipping. 

And by slabbing, they are trying to get the maximize the return on it now that they have decided to liquidate it.

I thought that was strange also especially when the whole quote read : CBCS for pc and CGC to flip. Are you not allowed to keep CGC graded books??

Is there some kind of law against that? That doesn't make any sense at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ninja0215 said:

I thought that was strange also especially when the whole quote read : CBCS for pc and CGC to flip. Are you not allowed to keep CGC graded books??

Is there some kind of law against that? That doesn't make any sense at all. 

This full context helps. Sometimes you can buy cbcs cheaper because they are not deemed as reputable as cgc (subjective).

So for a personal collection you could probably buy a cbcs book cheaper than a CGC book in the same grade.

where as for selling, CGC might sell faster and for a better price due to reputation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've even heard it here on the boards, the phrase don't slab it until your ready to sell.

It comes down to personal choice, I prefer slabs in my collection, so I slab when I can. The raws that I have are impulse purchases, comics I've found on the hunt, and supporting the LCS purchases.....

If your waiting until a book gets hot to send in to be slabbed, you've most of the time missed the boat in the old market, well mostly. I'm not hip enough for that race lol so don't know too much about it.

I like to keep slabs: 1) for the registry 2) hot book easy sell immediately 3) it's part of the fun to send in the raws I find from the hunt 2) some books and grades are better to go ahead and by the slab at the comfortable price you'd enjoy, cause buying raws sometimes is a trap! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ninja0215 said:

I thought that was strange also especially when the whole quote read : CBCS for pc and CGC to flip. Are you not allowed to keep CGC graded books??

Is there some kind of law against that? That doesn't make any sense at all. 

Now THAT I understand.  Some people believe the company across the street (whose name is not supposed to be used here) has tighter grading than CGC.  So when buying for their pc, they go with that company and keep it.  Buying to sell at maximum price, something they are not emotionally tied to, they buy CGC to flip it.  They are stating this as their operating procedure, their opinion of preference, not necessarily true or correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Now THAT I understand.  Some people believe the company across the street (whose name is not supposed to be used here) has tighter grading than CGC.  So when buying for their pc, they go with that company and keep it.  Buying to sell at maximum price, something they are not emotionally tied to, they buy CGC to flip it.  They are stating this as their operating procedure, their opinion of preference, not necessarily true or correct.

I have heard (insert rival grading company name) has stricter policies when it comes to books. I have also heard thT anyone  who thinks that is braindead lol

Personally for me, I'm sticking with cgc. I know if I ever had to move my books, I know I could. I also feel more at home here now since I know my way around lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, think of it this way.... a spensive book in high end mylar with a super dooper backing board is probably archivally just as safe or safer than a book in a CGC case ... so if you are sitting on it for 10-30 years, why do cgc now and commit that money? $65 spent on a slab, put into your 401K, at 8%, compounded, is $206 in 15 years, so folks who slabbed an expensive book in 2015/16 have not just laid out the $65 (I just made that up as a potential cost on an expensive book), they lost $146 in potential investment income.

true, it is nice to know what the grade is, and having that slab right there makes the book more liquid if you need to sell in a hurry. having that cgc grade may help for insurance purposes as well, otherwise you might need an appraisal. 

as for cgc vs. the other company... doesn't seem to make sense. the slightly lower cost over there doesn't make it more pro collector and the potential for a lower sales price...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I slab a lot of weird stuff for my personal collection. I like the look and feel of CGC's slabs -- and much prefer them to their competitors in that regard. I like getting to populate the registry with odd or underappreciated things. And I like the challenge of hunting for high grade copies. I know I'm not alone in that, because I've bought a few slabs for my current "dreck" projects that were created by other people. These books aren't going anywhere (as if they realistically could, in many cases). That's not the point. For the things I'm keeping forever, I want the nicest copies I can realistically acquire, and I enjoy the confirmation of that condition (yeah, yeah, 9.6/9.8 subjective grading yadda yadda, I know) and the presentation bonus that slabs also provide. For nearly everything in my PC, I have undercopies or trades when I want to read them, which I do; the exceptions are all (I think, anyway) oddball limited-run or promotional stuff that I'm acquiring for runs or completeness and not at all for reading in the first place.

I do also slab -- and trade in existing slabs -- other books, the sorts that more normal collectors actually want, although not as much as I used to. For me, that's purely transactional. It's about whatever is best for the value of the book. For me, that's almost totally dissimilar to the reasons I slab PC books.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ninja0215 said:

I have heard (insert rival grading company name) has stricter policies when it comes to books. I have also heard thT anyone  who thinks that is braindead lol

Personally for me, I'm sticking with cgc. I know if I ever had to move my books, I know I could. I also feel more at home here now since I know my way around lol

the market seems to believe that cgc is, on average, tighter and better at the resto check, at least on average, based on sales prices. obviously each book is its own little world, different people chasing it that day, some scans might look better than others, so you can't over generalize.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I slab a lot of weird stuff for my personal collection. I like the look and feel of CGC's slabs -- and much prefer them to their competitors in that regard. I like getting to populate the registry with odd or underappreciated things. And I like the challenge of hunting for high grade copies. I know I'm not alone in that, because I've bought a few slabs for my current "dreck" projects that were created by other people. These books aren't going anywhere (as if they realistically could, in many cases). That's not the point. For the things I'm keeping forever, I want the nicest copies I can realistically acquire, and I enjoy the confirmation of that condition (yeah, yeah, 9.6/9.8 subjective grading yadda yadda, I know) and the presentation bonus that slabs also provide. For nearly everything in my PC, I have undercopies or trades when I want to read them, which I do; the exceptions are all (I think, anyway) oddball limited-run or promotional stuff that I'm acquiring for runs or completeness and not at all for reading in the first place.

I do also slab -- and trade in existing slabs -- other books, the sorts that more normal collectors actually want, although not as much as I used to. For me, that's purely transactional. It's about whatever is best for the value of the book. For me, that's almost totally dissimilar to the reasons I slab PC books.

THIS!! EXACTLY THIS!  I slab weird stuff also because well its just for me so i don't care otherwise. I really like the fact that you can spot a cgc slab from across a convention floor while trying to strain to see a competition slab up close.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really prefer a company that would  just check for restoration, removal of restoration, pressing, witness signature, verify signature etc etc. Slab the book, write a detailed description and that’s it.  Leave the grade between seller and buyer. But that’s just me.  I would use that company any day of the week for my pc or to sell.  I haven’t tried the other company yet but I’m not against using them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've even heard it here on the boards, the phrase don't slab it until your ready to sell.

I always took the opposite approach.  I only buy "personal collection" books that are slabbed and better condition than my raw copies.

That way my "personal collection" (to hold as long as possible) has guaranteed conditions and not wishful thinking.

Edited by valiantman
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

I would really prefer a company that would  just check for restoration, removal of restoration, pressing, witness signature, verify signature etc etc. Slab the book, write a detailed description and that’s it.  Leave the grade between seller and buyer. But that’s just me.  I would use that company any day of the week for my pc or to sell.  I haven’t tried the other company yet but I’m not against using them. 

I have used them before and i had a good experience . I do feel however that i had a better one here and if i want to get the most out of my collection then might as well go with the best of the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I always took the opposite approach.  I only buy "personal collection" books that are slabbed and better condition than my raw copies.

That way my "personal collection" (to hold as long as possible) has guaranteed conditions and not wishful thinking.

:headbang:

Link to post
Share on other sites

People against CGC remind me of couch potatoes at home watching car races.

"I don't need anyone to tell me how to (grade comics / drive fast), I've been (grading / driving) for decades and I'm just as good as any of them.  I don't have to get third-party sponsorship to prove it."

hm

 

Yeah, right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I always took the opposite approach.  I only buy "personal collection" books that are slabbed and better condition than my raw copies.

That way my "personal collection" (to hold as long as possible) has guaranteed conditions and not wishful thinking.

Ya I'm the same way, hence the rest of my post, but I do also enjoy the hunt for raws in the wild :x

there are slabs in the "wild" too but not much ever of any collectability or perceived value, but they're out there :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

People against CGC remind me of couch potatoes at home watching car races.

"I don't need anyone to tell me how to (grade comics / drive fast), I've been (grading / driving) for decades and I'm just as good as any of them.  I don't have to get third-party sponsorship to prove it."

hm

 

Yeah, right.

^^

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4