• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Personal Collection
4 4

72 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

I always took the opposite approach.  I only buy "personal collection" books that are slabbed and better condition than my raw copies.

That way my "personal collection" (to hold as long as possible) has guaranteed conditions and not wishful thinking.

:eek:

I hate to break it to you, but...

5 minutes ago, RearAdmiralSwank said:

Grading is objective. One graders 9.8 is another's 9.6 or.9.9

Of course, and one 9.8 will appear different then another...it's all a matter of perspective, but there must be some reason people are paying thousands of dollars for it

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Of course it, and one 9.8 will appear different then another...it's all a matter of perspective, but there must be some reason people are paying thousands of dollars for it

And lazyboy was stating there is no such thing as a guaranteed grade, grading being subjective 

I hear you on no 9.8 being uniform. 9.8s vary, widely at times.

Just now, RearAdmiralSwank said:

And lazyboy was stating there is no such thing as a guaranteed grade, grading being subjective 

I hear you on no 9.8 being uniform. 9.8s vary, widely at times.

I think what Valiantman was saying though has more to do with the state of the slab and not actually the grade, and that's what I was asking Lazyboy to elaborate on or clarify, because in my opinion a book is much safer in a slab then in mylar sheathing 

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I think what Valiantman was saying though has more to do with the state of the slab and not actually the grade, and that's what I was asking Lazyboy to elaborate on or clarify, because in my opinion a book is much safer in a slab then in mylar sheathing 

To me that comes around to the old conversation about who buys a slab and who buys a book lol

Don't get me started on labels. Honestly cgc should make uncut sheets of labels and slab them

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
9 hours ago, valiantman said:

I always took the opposite approach.  I only buy "personal collection" books that are slabbed and better condition than my raw copies.

That way my "personal collection" (to hold as long as possible) has guaranteed conditions and not wishful thinking.

:eek:

I hate to break it to you, but...

What I meant is that every raw book in my collection is POSSIBLY a book that would grade CGC X.X, but I wouldn't know until I submitted it.

Every CGC graded book in my collection is guaranteed to have already been graded CGC X.X

I don't have to wonder privately or brag openly about my own grading skills for raw books.  If it's slabbed, it's slabbed.

Whether someone else agrees with CGC isn't my problem.  I'm not the one they'd be arguing with.

I have a Mile High (Edgar Church) book from the 1930s in my collection that's "Near Mint" according to the Mile High notes.  CGC says it's a 5.5.

Which grade is more likely to be accepted by the next person to purchase the book?

Edited by valiantman

18 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Your opinion is ill-informed and just plain wrong, assuming you actually meant 'than'.

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Your opinion is ill-informed and just plain wrong, assuming you actually meant 'than'.

Remember SCS in the early days?   Is that still a thing now?

2 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Remember SCS in the early days?   Is that still a thing now?

Unfortunately, SCS is still very much a thing, and the vast majority of comics submitted to CGC will be sent through the mail in their slab at least once.

24 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What I meant is that every raw book in my collection is POSSIBLY a book that would grade CGC X.X, but I wouldn't know until I submitted it.

Every CGC graded book in my collection is guaranteed to have already been graded CGC X.X

Yes, every comic graded by CGC is guaranteed to have been graded by CGC (at some point in time). I can't argue with that.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Expand  

Yes, every comic graded by CGC is guaranteed to have been graded by CGC (at some point in time). I can't argue with that.

Therefore, my personal collection has books that my family can sell as CGC 9.4 and raw books that they'll either have to get CGC graded, get an expert to grade, check my notes and say "the dead guy said 9.4", or some other problem that isn't easily solved.

A personal collection full of CGC graded books is in much better shape for whoever-whenever it needs to move on.

18 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Unfortunately, SCS is still very much a thing, and the vast majority of comics submitted to CGC will be sent through the mail in their slab at least once.

SCS happens, although not as often as many people suspect. We see the problem cases here because the problems give rise to discussion. It's a classic confirmation bias. That said, I view SCS as just another shipping hazard. Yes, when I get books slabbed or get slabs sent to me, they might get SCS damage from poor transit conditions.

They might also get impaled by a forklift. I haven't had that happen to a slab, but I did have it happen to a box of product back when I managed a brick and mortar store.

Once a slab gets to my personal collection, I feel it's pretty safe. Obviously not if I drop things or spin them around rapidly or whatever else I don't do. I certainly feel better about casually relocating a slabbed book than a bagged and boarded book. Mylars are probably the compromise for a lot of people, but I also do like my PC uniform. In any case, no book is going to develop SCS while in my collection.

19 hours ago, Ninja0215 said:

THIS!! EXACTLY THIS!  I slab weird stuff also because well its just for me so i don't care otherwise. I really like the fact that you can spot a cgc slab from across a convention floor while trying to strain to see a competition slab up close.. 

Same. I just sent in a high-grade copy of Brother Power the Geek. 

I like the look and feel of the slabs. 

I had a built-in bookcase put in my den that's sized specifically for slabbed books. Then I have 5 of those Nicholas Cage frames for displaying some of my favorite keys. It's all nice and neat. As opposed to my office where I still have 12 long boxes and a mess of loose raw books. 

Another reason I like the slabbed books is they're easier for my wife to sell if I get hit by a bus tomorrow. She knows to call a collector friend who will help her get them to Vin and Comic Connect. 

On 2/26/2021 at 8:59 AM, Ninja0215 said:

How many of the members here use CGC for their personal collection? i saw post on Facebook two days ago that said "use CGC for flipping"

I thought that cant be right, most of my slabs are CGC and aren't going anywhere. Thoughts?

On 2/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've even heard it here on the boards, the phrase don't slab it until your ready to sell.

This is most definitely correct since it's impossible to fully enjoy your books if they are imprsioned in a slab.  hm  :p

Since a picture is worth a thousand words though, my answer is best expressed by a very popular 2017 thread that ran for 175 pages, as follows: :cloud9:

On 2/27/2017 at 9:02 AM, ciorac said:

Here is Jon at my place in Philly a few years ago sharing much of his collection with us

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7116.JPG

IMG_7120.JPG

p1010004.jpg

p1010008.jpg

p1010010.jpg

P1010013.JPG

P1010012.JPG

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is most definitely correct since it's impossible to fully enjoy your books if they are imprsioned in a slab.  hm  :p

Since a picture is worth a thousand words though, my answer is best expressed by a very popular 2017 thread that ran for 175 pages, as follows: :cloud9:

Not a slab in sight....😲😲😲