• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Personal Collection
4 4

72 posts in this topic

I only collect slabs. I love the fact that the book is protected and I can easily look up the price without guesswork. On top of that they are easier to sell when needed, get more $ for the sale, and present so nicely. I do get the joy of opening a book and the smell and seeing all the original panels tho, but I've done that enough at this point. 

Oh and I dont post the collection on facebook because of fear of being burglarized. People know who you are in real life on there and you never know. 

Edited by jason4

On 2/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, valiantman said:

People against CGC remind me of couch potatoes at home watching car races.

"I don't need anyone to tell me how to (grade comics / drive fast), I've been (grading / driving) for decades and I'm just as good as any of them.  I don't have to get third-party sponsorship to prove it."

hm

Yeah, right.

Hey, if it's unread and never removed from the bag and board, or locked in a safe sense purchased, it is in Mint(9.9/10) condition. :sumo:

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

When you slab also matters for the point of 

With current values

If you wait to long to slab, you might pay a higher tier eating into the price you get when you want to sell...

Food for thought, cause comics are to be read as well

The vast majority of my collection is raw. I think one reason I don't slab a ton of my raw personal collection is this way I'm not tempted to sell them. They also take up less room this way. That said getting good very high grade white books of some of my favorite books can be difficult so buying slabs is often the only way to get them.

Edited by Rip

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is most definitely correct since it's impossible to fully enjoy your books if they are imprsioned in a slab.  hm  :p

Do other people actually read and handle high grade or otherwise rare books on a regular basis? Most of what I personally collect is frankly cheap, and even still, I read the material in collected editions where possible or just under copies otherwise.

I'm certainly capable of handling valuable books without causing damage, but if I've taken the time to find a top-of-census copy of something... why would I?

11 hours ago, jason4 said:

I only collect slabs. I love the fact that the book is protected and I can easily look up the price without guesswork. On top of that they are easier to sell when needed, get more $ for the sale, and present so nicely. I do get the joy of opening a book and the smell and seeing all the original panels tho, but I've done that enough at this point. 

Oh and I dont post the collection on facebook because of fear of being burglarized. People know who you are in real life on there and you never know. 

I love people who only collect slabs. Means more pickings for us raw collectors.😎

6 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Do other people actually read and handle high grade or otherwise rare books on a regular basis? Most of what I personally collect is frankly cheap, and even still, I read the material in collected editions where possible or just under copies otherwise.

I'm certainly capable of handling valuable books without causing damage, but if I've taken the time to find a top-of-census copy of something... why would I?

Yes