• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verified Autographs on Comic Books outside of the Signature Series

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever sent an un-witnessed comic signature to a third party authenticator like JSA or PSA for verification? I have had good results with this for some signed sports cards. Also, how would CGC treat the book in the grading process if it received it for grading with a signature authenticated by a third party?  I realize it wouldn't be in a gold label, because it wasn't witnessed by CGC, but would they give it a Universal grade, and would it lower the grade for having a signature on the front and possibly a small verification sticker on the back of the book?

1 minute ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Has anyone ever sent an un-witnessed comic signature to a third party authenticator like JSA or PSA for verification? I have had good results with this for some signed sports cards. Also, how would CGC treat the book in the grading process if it received it for grading with a signature authenticated by a third party?  I realize it wouldn't be in a gold label, because it wasn't witnessed by CGC, but would they give it a Universal grade, and would it lower the grade for having a signature on the front and possibly a small verification sticker on the back of the book?

Third party verification would be ignored at CGC.

Green label, would avoid the lower grade. Universal is possible but you'd get dinged for the sig and probably the sticker.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/labels/

Just now, Avi said:

Third party verification would be ignored at CGC.

Green label, would avoid the lower grade. Universal is possible but you'd get dinged for the sig and probably the sticker.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/labels/

Thanks, so I suppose you could just request a Universal label taking whatever grade CGC deemed reasonable after the hit for the sig and sticker?

1 minute ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Thanks, so I suppose you could just request a Universal label taking whatever grade CGC deemed reasonable after the hit for the sig and sticker?

Yep, you should check with them how to denote that you want a universal label before sending it in though.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I suppose that depends on how much they downgrade the book in universal grade. Personally, I would prefer the blue label.

The downgrade for an otherwise HG book will be severe, and in my consideration, prohibitive.

the other company does verifications of unwitnessed stuff that i would not have much faith in.

on the other hand, you have a sealed dynamic forces edition with a COA, etc... pretty high probability that it is real. CGC could do a tier for somethin like that, still charge extra, etc., get yellow. OTOH, my signed editions from the early 90s that have xeroxed COAs that look hand cut?

3 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Honestly, I would never send a signed book to CGC. It will always be inferior to a non signed book either with the downgrade or the green label. That's why their main rival exists, where they will slab a book that has a signature and authenticate the signature.  CGC is not interested in that. 

Sending a signed comic to JSA or PSA will only be a waste of money.

Also FYI, signatures don't get Gold Labels, they get Yellow Labels