• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What movie based "key" are you most annoyed by?

153 posts in this topic

Comic related movies and tv shows making books nobody gave two poops about into sudden "keys" for a brief time has unnecessarily annoyed me for a while. One current example is ASM Annual 16. Just because a character is in Wandavision now everyone has to own an issue that was regularly passed over at half price books not that long ago for the asking price of 50 cents. 

Personally one that I find extra annoying is the first appearance of Harley Quinn. Maybe it's because it's a kids cartoony book and I don't remember anyone caring about it at all prior to the terrible Suicide Squad movie. I'm sure there is a core of DC collectors who legitimately valued that book before the movie blew it up, but it feels like a huge bandwagon book to me. Just my irrational opinion. 

What movie based keys get you all riled up? 

Edited by serling1978

2 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Comic related movies and tv shows making books nobody gave two poops about into sudden "keys" for a brief time has unnecessarily annoyed me for a while. One current example is ASM Annual 16. Just because a character is in Wandavision now everyone has to own an issue that was regularly passed over at half price books not that long ago for the asking price of 50 cents. 

Personally one that I find extra annoying is the first appearance of Harley Quinn. Maybe it's because it's a kids cartoony book and I don't remember anyone caring about it at all prior to the terrible Suicide Squad movie. I'm sure there is a core of DC collectors who legitimately valued that book before the movie blew it up, but it feels like a huge bandwagon book to me. Just my irrational opinion. 

Pretty much all DC ones!!! hehehe....... except Batman. The rest has been horrible use of great material. I almost hope Marvel buys the rights to all DC comincs just so we can get some good movies. I'm exaggerating, but its along those lines.

Mine would probably be Star Wars #42. 

It's at least the 6th reprint of all the pages in the book, months after they were published, but somehow it's called "1st appearance of Boba Fett" just about every time.

Edited by valiantman

I missed picking up FF52 for my run before they announced it and off it went. It's still the latest issue I don't own, the unbroken run to the end of the first series starts there. :frustrated:

Speculators, flippers, whatever have no consideration for run collectors in this respect. (tsk)

SS3 is going to be same as well it appears. 

Movie and TV show keys are the bane of my collecting existence, and what's finally going to drive me out of this hobby one day.  So ask me any day, I'll probably give you a different answer, depending on which run I'm thinking about at the time, that I thought would be fun and inexpensive.

Right now, having an ASM 238 on the way and luckily having owned a 194 for awhile, I'm thinking I have a clear path back to 130 in my run, but 210 and 212 are still kinda stupid money.  Madame Web?  Hydro-Man?  (Far From Home was a lifetime ago, and it wasn't even him in it!?!)

Sometimes it's genuinely a cool book that transcends its place in the run.  Some of the Batman Adams covers, for instance.  But when it's no different from the surrounding issues but for being a shiny First Appearance of a Z-list character the movie flippers got a hold of - that's really frustrating.  More than once I've said "that's it, I'm done" before calming down and maybe focusing on another run for awhile.

Is it just me who can't wait till Marvel Studios loses its touch, and the superhero movie goes the way of the monster movie and the western?

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

Mine would probably be Star Wars #42. 

It's at least the 6th reprint of all the pages in the book, months after they were published, but somehow it's called "1st appearance of Boba Fett" just about every time.

Yeah, that is pretty annoying

I don't collect this stuff, so I can be more amused than annoyed by the sudden jump in value of books that hadn't been considered important a few months before. Some of it I understand, like FF 52, where a former B lister, whose first appearance was arguably under appreciated for a long time, catches fire as the character shows an ability to sustain greater fandom. The stuff that seems like a joke, are the first appearances of minor villains and supporting characters who get their brief day in the sun in a movie or TV show, causing a 10 fold jump in a matter of months for these issues, which will undoubtably be unsustainable, and cause a case of "Whiplash" to those who bought at the top before they plummet. 

A close equivalent in Golden Age, is when the collecting community decides that a book with an cool cover, but not one that had historically been considered "classic", is now worthy of that designation, and the book multiplies in value practically overnight. Silver Age collectors should get ready for that, as well as classic battle covers jumping even higher, as first appearance keys become super-expensive and collectors gravitate towards books that look cool, regardless of the contents.

I guess I get to play contrarian today (:

13 hours ago, serling1978 said:

I don't think the Rambeau hype will be stable but I'm trying to get my minty ASM Annual 16 graded and out of my hands before that happens. Which I don't think will be for a while. I just sold a copy of Giant Size Captain Marvel #1 for $50 and that book was literally a free throw in with an order I made years ago.

As for Harley I think the book was just undervalued before. Harley has a great character design and is super popular. Margot's adaption has been popular despite the films themselves being stinkers so why wouldn't her first appearance be in high demand? And as popular as Harley is among even people that barely know about comics why would it ever substantially recede? Harley is one of the very most popular new characters out of the 90s. As someone that grew up in the 90s... we're just entering our early 30s and having expendable income. I don't think that book is going anywhere. If anything it has a lot of room to grow, IMO.

3 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

Movie and TV show keys are the bane of my collecting existence, and what's finally going to drive me out of this hobby one day.  So ask me any day, I'll probably give you a different answer, depending on which run I'm thinking about at the time, that I thought would be fun and inexpensive.

Right now, having an ASM 238 on the way and luckily having owned a 194 for awhile, I'm thinking I have a clear path back to 130 in my run, but 210 and 212 are still kinda stupid money.  Madame Web?  Hydro-Man?  (Far From Home was a lifetime ago, and it wasn't even him in it!?!)

Sometimes it's genuinely a cool book that transcends its place in the run.  Some of the Batman Adams covers, for instance.  But when it's no different from the surrounding issues but for being a shiny First Appearance of a Z-list character the movie flippers got a hold of - that's really frustrating.  More than once I've said "that's it, I'm done" before calming down and maybe focusing on another run for awhile.

Is it just me who can't wait till Marvel Studios loses its touch, and the superhero movie goes the way of the monster movie and the western?

Madame Web was huge in the Spider-Man animated series and Hydro-Man is just a cool character that some fans like. I'm one of them, honestly. I always liked Sandman so of course I dig Hydro-Man. And I think his everyman character design to cement the Sandman parallel is great. I am actually trying to find a NM+ copy of 212 at a good price and have been for a while.

All of these Z-list characters have fans, even absent of movie hype. I have like 5 copies of ASM #110 because I actually like the Gibbon. I think the Grizzley is lame but I am sure some people are drawn to him. Or Mindworm. Or Mirage. Or Will O' Wisp. The Hydro-Man is just because people like Hydro-Man and Spider-Man is super popular so between the run collectors, the key collectors and the Hydro-Man fans of course the issue will spike a bit. I think the durability of Hydro-Man's first appearance after his weak "appearance" in Far From Home proves that the spike is more based on people being reminded of a character they always liked rather than people thinking he's got some role to play in the MCU going forward. I don't think it counts as spec anymore but just my opinion

As far as strange spec... the prices on Spectacular Spider-Man #98, the first appearance of the Spot, have blown up because of speculation that he'll be the main villain in the next Enter the Spiderverse movie. I have moved almost 10 copies of that book for $30 - $80 depending on condition in the last 10 days or so. I had a bunch of copies because I always thought Spot was a cool character with a cool character design even though he became a joke character eventually. I actually used to give away copies to friends that weren't really fans of comics because it was a $1 first appearance so I always scooped multiple copies out of bargain bins... I'm keeping my nicest copy for myself because I still think the Spot is a cool character but...

There is no stinkin' way the Spot will ever be the MAIN villain of Enter the Spiderverse 2. I think he would be a brilliant character to include because he is really visually compelling but this sounds like a setup for Kingpin to return early in the film, the Spot to be his new henchman, and some other villain being the main villain. The first Enter the Spiderverse had a ton of villains. This one will have a bunch too. I would love to see the Spot in the movie and I hope that's true but there's no damn way he's the main villain.

Spectacular Spider-Man #98 will be a .25-$3 book again in another 12 to 18 months. I'll buy up another stockpile of copies when it craters but I couldn't pass on moving those last week lol 

5 minutes ago, D84 said:
3 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

I've got Marvel burn out, big time.

Monster movies are alive and well. They keep churning out Godzilla movies and someone will remake King Kong yet again. The SyFy channel makes a living on monster movies. Most of them are utter crap though.

18 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Monster movies are alive and well. They keep churning out Godzilla movies and someone will remake King Kong yet again. The SyFy channel makes a living on monster movies. Most of them are utter crap though.

Marvel is going to be getting into the horror subgenre as well through Hulu and film. I think Blade could be the centerpiece of all of that

58 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I don't collect this stuff, so I can be more amused than annoyed by the sudden jump in value of books that hadn't been considered important a few months before. Some of it I understand, like FF 52, where a former B lister, whose first appearance was arguably under appreciated for a long time, catches fire as the character shows an ability to sustain greater fandom. The stuff that seems like a joke, are the first appearances of minor villains and supporting characters who get their brief day in the sun in a movie or TV show, causing a 10 fold jump in a matter of months for these issues, which will undoubtably be unsustainable, and cause a case of "Whiplash" to those who bought at the top before they plummet. 

That's correct - however, these older books which had little value have decades of "stable demand" (which is fairly low) and no external influences to change that demand (for decades at a time).  Any change to the demand, even slight, would be a significant change overall - when there was low demand in the first place - and the price would move.  If a slight change in demand is sudden, the price moves suddenly and more than a slight amount.  If the change in demand is sudden and significant, the price moves suddenly and even more significantly.

When 100 people suddenly want a book with 15,000 slabs after 20 years of grading and plenty of raws, that's a slight increase in demand and probably a slight increase in price for slabs, a little less for raws.

But if 100 people suddenly want a book with 100 slabs after 20 years of grading, that's a major increase in demand for slabs - if there are any available - and the spillover to raws would be almost all of the new demand.

Both are just 100 people.

5 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Marvel is going to be getting into the horror subgenre as well through Hulu and film. I think Blade could be the centerpiece of all of that

Smart. Superhero movies will remain popular as they are designed to take maximum advantage of special effects laden action sequences, but they have probably lost their specialness now that they are so ubiquitous, but what do I know, I tend to get bored with "tentpole" movies in general. Whenever I see reviews mentioning "adrenaline" and "thrill ride" when describing the positives of a film, I read it to mean recycled plots, obvious outcomes, and zero character development. 

Horror though, is a genre audiences never get tired of, and there is probably going to be a lot of audience interest in the sort of tormented monsters Marvel specialized in. 

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Smart. Superhero movies will remain popular as they are designed to take maximum advantage of special effects laden action sequences, but they have probably lost their specialness now that they are so ubiquitous, but what do I know, I tend to get bored with "tentpole" movies in general.

That's a good point.  Superman movies with Christopher Reeve were successful in a day when there were few alternatives (and certainly no streaming), but they went "comedy" with Superman III and "no budget" with Superman IV.  They did something big with Superman and Superman II, but lost focus (or ran out of ideas) even with a captive audience who would have bought lots more if the quality had remained.   Same story with Batman ten years later.

8 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Horror though, is a genre audiences never get tired of, and there is probably going to be a lot of audience interest in the sort of tormented monsters Marvel specialized in. 

Horror will be much bigger than it has ever been (like superhero movies in the past 10 years) if they can deliver something beyond what the non-horror audience expects.

Iron Man (2008) delivered a superhero movie but general audiences expecting another Batman were given something else... a surprise.  It was still a rich guy in a cave, with a costume and a secret, but the circumstances went in a direction that didn't match prior movies.

Horror plus soap opera (which was a surprise) was all it took to spawn the Walking Dead franchise.

Horror plus --- something else unexpected --- could be the next big thing that audiences besides the existing genre would embrace and demand.