• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What movie based "key" are you most annoyed by?

153 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Smart. Superhero movies will remain popular as they are designed to take maximum advantage of special effects laden action sequences, but they have probably lost their specialness now that they are so ubiquitous, but what do I know, I tend to get bored with "tentpole" movies in general. Whenever I see reviews mentioning "adrenaline" and "thrill ride" when describing the positives of a film, I read it to mean recycled plots, obvious outcomes, and zero character development. 

Horror though, is a genre audiences never get tired of, and there is probably going to be a lot of audience interest in the sort of tormented monsters Marvel specialized in. 

I agree completely.

And as far as SW42, the science market is settled. 1st. Comicbook. Appearance. :sumo:

Or if we go down that road, then why in the world is AV4 anything at all? What's that, the 79th Captain America appearance? :baiting:

5 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I agree completely.

And as far as SW42, the science market is settled. 1st. Comicbook. Appearance. :sumo:

Or if we go down that road, then why in the world is AV4 anything at all? What's that, the 79th Captain America appearance? :baiting:

Not being a huge SW fan I was unaware of the reused material in SW 42 until now, but being that it's a the first four color standard size appearance of BF in the long running and popular series appealing to both American SW fans and Marvel Bronze/copper age collectors, I can see why it is in greater demand than MSS. #16.

Cap had appeared in over 100 different comics prior to AV 4, but I guess the ret-conned Silver Age "origin"  of Cap's arrival in the Marvel Age always made this issue feel more special than the Torch stumbling into an amnesiac Subby in FF 4, which is arguably a more important book, as it is the first Marvel to acknowledge the Golden Age history of their universe.

13 hours ago, valiantman said:

Mine would probably be Star Wars #42. 

It's at least the 6th reprint of all the pages in the book, months after they were published, but somehow it's called "1st appearance of Boba Fett" just about every time.

Educate me, please.

I think I know of 2 or 3 versions of what you're referring to - the Super Special (color magazine series that started with KISS #1, think "Empire" was #16), the 'treasury' size "Special Edition," and I think there is a paperback-size version of it too.

Apparently there were more - but what are the others?

13 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's at least the 6th reprint of all the pages in the book, months after they were published, but somehow it's called "1st appearance of Boba Fett" just about every time.

I know this is probably foolish. But I'm assuming that the movies came out first. So mine is this "Any comic that was a movie first!"

23 minutes ago, grebal said:
14 hours ago, valiantman said:

Educate me, please.

I think I know of 2 or 3 versions of what you're referring to - the Super Special (color magazine series that started with KISS #1, think "Empire" was #16), the 'treasury' size "Special Edition," and I think there is a paperback-size version of it too.

Apparently there were more - but what are the others?

The same Empire Strikes Back artwork by Artists: Al Williamson & Carlos Garzon, Writer: Archie Goodwin can be found in all of these:

1a) The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (224 pages)    Marvel    May 1980    old purple Yoda design - small paperback size

1b) Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Annual (hardcover, 63 pages)    Marvel/Grandreams (UK Edition, printed in Holland)    May 1980    old Yoda purple design - magazine-sized hardcover

3a) Marvel Super Special #16 (96 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980  corrected green Yoda - magazine-sized - CGC grades this one (1st in CGC grade-able size)

3b) Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back #2 (100 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980    corrected green Yoda - Treasury-sized 10"x14"

5th) The Empire Strikes Back Weekly #118-#135   Marvel UK    smaller magazine-sized  - #129 (August 1980) has a Boba Fett cover - CGC grades this one (2nd in CGC grade-able size)

Notable: Star Wars #41 has the "Building an Empire" story of the old/new Yoda designs and mentions the paperback, the MSS #16, and the treasury as published first (months earlier than Star Wars #41)

Another notable: Star Wars #42 has a cover gallery for the Empire Strikes Back Weekly issues including all of them up to #132 as being published earlier than Star Wars #42.

6th) Star Wars #42    Marvel    December 1980    1980-09-23 - CGC grades this one (3rd in CGC grade-able size, first in standard comic size, fewer Boba story pages than the others above)

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I know this is probably foolish. But I'm assuming that the movies came out first. So mine is this "Any comic that was a movie first!"

No, at least 2 or 3 issues of Star Wars #1, #2, #3(?) (Marvel 1977) came out before the movie.

The paperback story of the movie (artwork on the cover only) came out in December 1976 (and then the same paperback was sold with a different cover for years afterwards).

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No, at least 2 or 3 issues of Star Wars #1 (Marvel 1977) came out before the movie.

The paperback story of the movie (artwork on the cover only) came out in December 1976 (and then the same paperback was sold with a different cover for years afterwards).

Hmmm.....well then StarWars is the least annoyed key then. Ultron could definitely be up there. Probably most of the Avengers keys based on movie spec 

Edited by Hollywood1892

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No, at least 2 or 3 issues of Star Wars #1 (Marvel 1977) came out before the movie.

Hmmm.....well then StarWars is the least annoyed key then. Ultron could definitely be up there. Probably most of the Avengers keys based on movie spec

As far as movie-based issues go - there seem to be 3 categories

1) Comics that were printed long before any movies were being made for that character (and potentially a completely different storyline) - New Mutants #98 (1991), Batman Adventures #12 (1993)

2) Comics that are illustrated stories from the movie but released before the movie was in theaters - Star Wars #1 - #2 (1977), Empire Strikes Back with purple Yoda, perhaps early green Yoda corrections

3) Comics that are illustrated stories with the movie character but released after the movie was in theaters - Later adaptations, or books like 1st Nick Fury in Samuel L. Jackson design (whatever book that was)

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

1) Comics that were printed long before any movies were being made for that character (and potentially a completely different storyline) - New Mutants #98 (1991), Batman Adventures #12 (1993)

2) Comics that are illustrated stories of the movie characters but released before the movie was in theaters - Star Wars #1 - #2 (1977)

3) Comics that are illustrated stories with the movie character but released after the movie was in theaters - 1st Nick Fury in Samuel L. Jackson design (whatever book that was)

4) Comics value inflated and determined only by movies- but that probably fits in category 1 and those two books mentioned are prime examples, but then again How long was AF 15 out before Spider-Man movie? Same with Avengers as well. Arguably the closest might actually be ASM 129 (seriously)

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

2) Comics that are illustrated stories of the movie characters but released before the movie was in theaters - Star Wars #1 - #2 (1977)

3) Comics that are illustrated stories with the movie character but released after the movie was in theaters - 1st Nick Fury in Samuel L. Jackson design (whatever book that was)

4) Comics value inflated and determined only by movies- but that probably fits in category 1 and those two books mentioned are prime examples, but then again How long was AF 15 out before Spider-Man movie? Same with Avengers as well. Arguably the closest might actually be ASM 129 (seriously)

Those are all category 1 - characters in comics long before any movies were being made (in pre-production)

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No, at least 2 or 3 issues of Star Wars #1, #2, #3(?) (Marvel 1977) came out before the movie.

Ok, but let’s be clear:  even if comics or novelizations find themselves on the newsstand before the release before the film, they all clearly state something to the effect of “based on a screenplay by ________”

The concepts, plots and characters originate in the film, NOT in the comic books, even if the comics manage to make it to the newsstand first  

The fact that they predate the release of the film is an interesting factoid and can certainly boost the status of comic adaptation, but I would caution about overstating that importance. 

It’s not like George Lucas walked into a 7-11, saw a copy of Star Wars #1 and said to himself ‘hey, this would make a cool movie’ and cranked one out in 2 months. 

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Ok, but let’s be clear:  even if comics or novelizations find themselves on the newsstand before the release before the film, they all clearly state something to the effect of “based on a screenplay by ________”

The concepts, plots and characters originate in the film, NOT in the comic books, even if the comics manage to make it to the newsstand first  

The fact that they predate the release of the film is an interesting factoid and can certainly boost the status of comic adaptation, but I would caution about overstating that importance. 

It’s not like George Lucas walked into a 7-11, saw a copy of Star Wars #1 and said to himself ‘hey, this would make a cool movie’ and cranked one out in 2 months. 

True, but there are comics that don't happen until long after the movie/show is released - where they're trying to prolong an earlier success they didn't expect, not promote something released in multiple media simultaneously.

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Those are all category 1 - characters in comics long before any movies were being made (in pre-production)

And what about keys that were in no way influenced by movie spec?

They don't get a category for "movie" related.

To be honest? None.

If people want to spend money on books that I consider silly, who am I to stop them?

If I missed the boat on a book because of a movie appearance, I mostly buy bronze and earlier (40+ years old), so I can't really blame anyone but myself.

Probably not a popular opinion, and I do feel sorry for young people trying to put together runs of books, but these days, every hobby is expensive.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

The same Empire Strikes Back artwork by Artists: Al Williamson & Carlos Garzon, Writer: Archie Goodwin can be found in all of these:

1a) The Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (224 pages)    Marvel    May 1980    old purple Yoda design - small paperback size

1b) Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Annual (hardcover, 63 pages)    Marvel/Grandreams (UK Edition, printed in Holland)    May 1980    old Yoda purple design - magazine-sized hardcover

3a) Marvel Super Special #16 (96 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980  corrected green Yoda - magazine-sized - CGC grades this one (1st in CGC grade-able size)

3b) Marvel Special Edition Featuring Star Wars:The Empire Strikes Back #2 (100 pages)    Marvel    Spring 1980    corrected green Yoda - Treasury-sized 10"x14"

5th) The Empire Strikes Back Weekly #118-#135   Marvel UK    smaller magazine-sized  - #129 (August 1980) has a Boba Fett cover - CGC grades this one (2nd in CGC grade-able size)

Notable: Star Wars #41 has the "Building an Empire" story of the old/new Yoda designs and mentions the paperback, the MSS #16, and the treasury as published first (months earlier than Star Wars #41)

Another notable: Star Wars #42 has a cover gallery for the Empire Strikes Back Weekly issues including all of them up to #132 as being published earlier than Star Wars #42.

6th) Star Wars #42    Marvel    December 1980    1980-09-23 - CGC grades this one (3rd in CGC grade-able size, first in standard comic size, fewer Boba story pages than the others above)

Oh, UK, pshaw.

I'd forgotten that you count those as things.  ; )

Edited by grebal
And here I thought I'd actually missed out on some important trivia