• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stuart Sayger?

15 posts in this topic

Tuned into a recent auction of his not knowing really anything about him and was surprised at some of the prices people were paying. Cover sketches were upwards of $400-$500 and 11x14 commissions were closer to $1000. Not doubting his talent just was surprised he was selling so many at such a high price for someone who does not have a huge resume. Am I missing something, is his work really sought after and in demand? I like it, just thought he must have slipped under my radar. Reminds me of a cross between Sienkirwics, Ben Templesmith, and Stroman. Examples below. 

6F7A05BD-5723-4CD7-AE2A-AEE9FB2B997F.jpeg.5df514213a1068e92088706332488295.jpegCA7F0039-DA16-4B17-B3D0-9FBE45B021DA.jpeg.5b98054482ce4101927714c02a6e74c8.jpegC8A3DE42-A647-4F1B-B953-E2DCC1D0B050.jpeg.e1821b9be808ecf2273ec2ef12655a98.jpeg9E3F83B3-0D8B-44DA-A826-5260602FEFCE.jpeg.55cae8a4184ad7ddd9f5b80124b6141a.jpeg

I know Stuart has been a sought out artist at least since I’ve been collecting in 2013. Though I’m sure his prices weren’t at that level 8 years ago, he seems to have gotten much better over the years to drive up what he charges. Otherwise, not an artist in my wheelhouse as to the why. 

I have a couple pieces from Stuart and I really enjoy his art. He's a great guy to talk to and very honest and reliable. I always hit him up at shows for conversation and sometimes a buy. He's in the Midwest so I run into him at least once a year or more (during non covid times). Highest recommendation. 

14 hours ago, RBerman said:

The Sienkiewicz connection is easy to see, even down to the bleach spattering technique. Good designs but not a name I was familiar with.

I met him at a convention many, many years ago (probably late '00s or early '10s at the latest) and told him that I saw a strong Sienkiewicz influence in his work - he looked at me like I had two heads, like how could anyone possibly think that. lol  Kind of like how the band Greta Van Fleet disavowed any Led Zeppelin influence in the one interview I saw with them a few years ago...I mean, c'mon (go watch any of their videos on YouTube and you'll see what I mean). :fear: 

I ended up commissioning something from Stuart at that convention, think it was a few hundred bucks, though, I sold it a few years later as I realized that commissions just weren't my bag, baby. 

Personally he's a bit hit or miss.  There are some things he's done that look incredible and others not so much.  The one piece I have I love:

image.thumb.png.8367c709a5ea5daa8815d6d465f91917.png

Stuart is a great guy. I originally discovered his art back in 2009, and bought five 11x14 commissions from him over two years; all still hanging in my home office. When I bought the last one, he raised his prices all the way up to $200, and I remember it seemed high at the time!

He does live chat / auctions on IG too. Some great work in there.

BTW, I 100% agree with the Sienkiewicz influence. I'm pretty shocked he'd disagree

I first came across Stuart at a Comics Elite fb live event they did after a con years ago..he was doing $100 sketch covers and I unknowingly didn’t jump on the opp figuring Id have another chance... huge mistake..after probably 4 years of begging him to do the $100 offers again with no success, he decided to do some live sketch events right when the pandemic hit March 2020....I was finally able to get my Doomsday for $150! 

514AC899-C9F8-4DB7-A04C-ED65FFA8E342.jpeg

On 3/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, JadeGiant said:

Hulk image posted?

I posted it on FB years ago, and Stuart was glad to have seen it again. I got it at a charity auction they did at a convention, I remember sitting next to Paul Litch, but can't recall the year that was now. Feels like at least 10 years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was longer. 

Hulk.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

Not familiar with him, obviously wears his influences on his sleeve but i have no problem with that. Honestly, I dig it!

As for prices, pages by lots of artists might still be 'cheap', but 400 for a cover sketch is about as low as it gets.