• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #1 Under graded? (Grade Revealed!)

28 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying this Avengers 1, (It is currently CGC graded) but the price is quite a bit higher than current GPA sales.  IMHO it appears it may be under graded.  Regardless, I think it presents very well for the grade assigned. Please assist me with your experienced eyes and let me know what you think it would grade.  Also, how much have you guys paid above current sales in the past to get a book you though presented well?  Thanks for everyones help!   

RADDBABA20181221_135846.jpg

RAD1B32920181221_135847.jpg

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

7.0 I try not to pay above current sales. It seems like these days with the inflated comic book market there is little choice. Now I try to pay a "fair" price. If I know someone is selling a book I want for twice what it should be worth, I may make an offer a bit higher than FMV.  If they don't budge, then they can keep it. It also depends on the book. If it doesn't come up for sale very often, there may be a reason for it. Avengers 1 seems like it would be a fairly easy book to nab. The movie pushing its value doesn't help matters. Another year or two with no movies and it will settle back down.

I'd guess 7.5, maybe 8.0. It looks super! If it's in a slab with a grade lower than that, it might be worth checking the label notes before purchase. There may be an interior defect or stain not visible from the scans that is dropping the grade.

Here it is......Some of you were rather close with the 7.0 opinions. My personal feeling is that it could be a 7.5-8.0 if there isn't anything i'm not seeing in the scan. Question now for me is......Should I pay a 7.0/7.5 price for a 6.5 book?  Additionally, there is the risk/stress of breaking a book that cost several thousand dollars out of its current slab for re-grading and submission.

RADDBABA20181221_135846.thumb.jpg.ca27ba3abe10321062762b8a16c30423.jpg

And honestly I don't know if it really is that overpriced. I mean, according to GoCollect data which is 30-45 days old for this grade it is. But,we all know what prices have done in the last month or so, especially on keys. E bay has a couple listed in this grade (which don't present as well) over the price of this one. So, I guess if it sounds like Im trying to justify buying this book, then I suppose I am.

Until you get to the super high grades, the top end of FMV for one grade generally seems to overlap with the bottom end of the next. That copy certainly looks like at least a 7.0, and has white pages as well. If I were looking for a keeper, and not hunting for a bargain copy, I could see paying towards the top end of 6.5 FMV, even if there might be a less appealing 7.0 available for the same or a little less.

8 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Until you get to the super high grades, the top end of FMV for one grade generally seems to overlap with the bottom end of the next. That copy certainly looks like at least a 7.0, and has white pages as well. If I were looking for a keeper, and not hunting for a bargain copy, I could see paying towards the top end of 6.5 FMV, even if there might be a less appealing 7.0 available for the same or a little less.

Ok, I will just come out and state the sell price, and try to get opinions.  Seller has it listed with a BIN of $9500. There are a couple others listed on E bay with approximate $10,000 BINs. Go Collect data shows the last sale on Heritage on 12/28/20 for $6,600 for a 6.5 and 11/22/20 on Ebay for a 7.0 of $8,501. I was thinking of submitting a bid somewhere close to the last E bay sale of the 7.0 to the seller.

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Ok, I will just come out and state the sell price, and try to get opinions.  Seller has it listed with a BIN of $9500. There are a couple others listed on E bay with approximate $10,000 BINs. Go Collect data shows the last sale on Heritage on 12/28/20 for $6,600 for a 6.5 and 11/22/20 on Ebay for a 7.0 of $8,501. I was thinking of submitting a bid somewhere close to the last E bay sale of the 7.0 to the seller.

90 day GPA average is $6600 for a 6.5, so GoCollect is pretty accurate here.  $9500 is too much, in my opinion...but then I don't use Feebay anymore.  Since you don't have access to the graders notes (I'm guessing), I wouldn't mess with re-grading/re-slabbing.  If you're willing to pay that much cheddar....I would take it as is.  Even reselling (not saying you would) may not be worth investing in clean/press/reslab.  Nice looking book though. (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

90 day GPA average is $6600 for a 6.5, so GoCollect is pretty accurate here.  $9500 is too much, in my opinion...but then I don't use Feebay anymore.  Since you don't have access to the graders notes (I'm guessing), I wouldn't mess with re-grading/re-slabbing.  If you're willing to pay that much cheddar....I would take it as is.  Even reselling (not saying you would) may not be worth investing in clean/press/reslab.  Nice looking book though. (thumbsu

I tend to agree with you.  But, then we have seen a run up in prices in the last 30-45 days, and that is about when the last 6.5 sold.  I can get grader's notes by submitting the cert# and $10 bucks, just don't know how committed I am to dropping that much cheese on the book. For me, it would be a long -term part of my collection, so flipping isn't intended with the purchase. I suppose I am just a tad nervous, as this is really what I consider my first large purchase. Before this I never spent over a grand on a book, but have been waiting for a good example of Avengers 1 for several weeks or longer to pop up.

Also, I have only cracked out sports cards from slabs. So if I did decide to re-submit there is the additional risk of cracking out and sending in.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Does look undergraded

It's funny though, the eye appeal is SO strong for a 6.5, with so little color loss, that it makes me more sure that there is some hidden defect like grebal suggests above, and that's it's less apt to be a case of random undergrading. (Unless the colors are super-amped in the scan, which seems like at least a slight possibility.)

9 minutes ago, Point Five said:

It's funny though, the eye appeal is SO strong for a 6.5, with so little color loss, that it makes me more sure that there is some hidden defect like grebal suggests above, and that's it's less apt to be a case of random undergrading. (Unless the colors are super-amped in the scan, which seems like at least a slight possibility.)

That certainly could be the case.  Look how blue the flip is.B|

11 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Also, after looking at the book for the 57th time I noticed what may be a small tear by the date .............

RADDBABA20181221_135846.jpg.334e56b8db0bc0db378ac6a6feb03b72.jpg