• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asm 238 with or without tattoos
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Is the 9.4 W/O Tattooz a Green or Blue Label?

Books missing the Tattooz are generally listed as "Missing Tattooz, Incomplete" and receive a Green "Qualified" Label which is what the books grade would have been without the defect listed.

I do not have graded books, however, from everything I have read, Green Label books are less desirable if you are looking to resell later on.

I don’t think the question is answerable without knowing what your goals and preferences are with regard to your collection, and to a lesser extent your financial goals and preferences with regard to the comic.  

id suggest you do some past sales pricing data research and make the decision based on your own personal subjective criteria.

good luck

On 2/28/2021 at 1:12 AM, Swamp Demon said:

I have a chance to buy asm 238 9.4 without tattoos or 7.5 with tattoos. 
same price. I’m leaning towards 9.4 no tattoos. What you think?

I wouldn't get any. Try to save up some more and get a higher grade with tatooz. And if it has to wait till next year, then so be it. Might be even cheaper by then because this year is insane.

23 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I wouldn't get any. Try to save up some more and get a higher grade with tatooz. And if it has to wait till next year, then so be it. Might be even cheaper by then because this year is insane.

I am a proud owner of an ASM 238 9.6W Universal myself (picked it up at a comic show for $50 in 1995).

I have been following the jump in FMV recently for higher grade 238s.

Is it due to speculation that Ned Leeds will become Hobgoblin in the next movie? Is that official? I saw some speculation on that because the actor recently lost some weight and posted that on his twitter feed but I haven't seen it confirmed.

Just now, xvipah said:

It seems like the entirety of Marvel key prices are driven by movie/tv show speculation or reality. Look at West Coast Avengers #45. Literally an almost afterthought of a book/storyline until this last weekend.

Agreed. I just wasn't sure if Hobgoblin had been confirmed for the movie or just teased at this point. Either way he is one of my favorite ASM villians and certainly deserves a spot in a movie at some point. 

On 2/28/2021 at 1:12 AM, Swamp Demon said:

I have a chance to buy asm 238 9.4 without tattoos or 7.5 with tattoos. 
same price. I’m leaning towards 9.4 no tattoos. What you think?

I am unwilling to buy that comic either way because of the Tatooz. I don't want something that can stain my comic and I don't want an incomplete comic.

1 hour ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Is it due to speculation that Ned Leeds will become Hobgoblin in the next movie? Is that official? I saw some speculation on that because the actor recently lost some weight and posted that on his twitter feed but I haven't seen it confirmed.

There is no official news, nor even set rumours. It's all speculation at this point. Congrats on your beautiful book!

I knew a comic shop owner on Long Island that never sold FF 252.   Whenever he bought an ASM 238 that was missing the Tattooz he would supply a fresh set from a copy of FF 252 and perform some surgery.  So.... be careful out there. 

I looked it up to see if this was commonplace and apparently people have snuck such surgeries past the CGC grading team. 

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/amazing-spider-man-238-the-tattooz-situation/ 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, Buzzetta said:

I knew a comic shop owner on Long Island that never sold FF 252.   Whenever he bought an ASM 238 that was missing the Tattooz he would supply a fresh set from a copy of FF 252 and perform some surgery.  So.... be careful out there. 

I looked it up to see if this was commonplace and apparently people have snuck such surgeries past the CGC grading team. 

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/amazing-spider-man-238-the-tattooz-situation/ 

Good point. I also know of someone who did this. 

Personally I wouldn't buy an ASM 238 without tattoos regardless of grade. The book being considered incomplete would bother me. I got one about 8 years ago at half price books and I didn't even know it was the first hobgoblin. I had just gotten back into collecting after stopping at age 14 and taking about 18 years off. Later I realized it did have the tattooz. Got lucky.