• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men #4
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2021 at 11:20 PM, MPH1964 said:

@Glassman10 noted: Tanning, spine stresses, and scuffed upper spine ... AND... I would add, top edge heavily stressed front and back covers, large (4-5”) color-breaking crease lower right FC, cover slightly pulled at both staples.  Hope this helps...

The top "edge" is NOT heavily stressed.  How did you come up with that??  As one can see, the interior pages show no "heavy stress"?   Just askin'....??

On 3/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, MPH1964 said:

@Glassman10 noted: Tanning, spine stresses, and scuffed upper spine ... AND... I would add, top edge heavily stressed front and back covers, large (4-5”) color-breaking crease lower right FC, cover slightly pulled at both staples.  Hope this helps...

4 hours ago, Comcasthawk said:

The top "edge" is NOT heavily stressed.  How did you come up with that??  As one can see, the interior pages show no "heavy stress"?   Just askin'....??

Fair question.  The interior pages are not stressed as you rightly stated.  However, I noted that the top edge of the cover, both front and back, is stressed and there is quite a bit of color loss from that.  A press may flatten those top edges but it won’t fix the color loss or possible edge fraying or tears caused by those stresses.  Now I’m not saying definitively that there are tears or frayed edges here, it’s just that this type of rolled over edge frequently has fraying and small tears.  

13 minutes ago, MPH1964 said:

Fair question.  The interior pages are not stressed as you rightly stated.  However, I noted that the top edge of the cover, both front and back, is stressed and there is quite a bit of color loss from that.  A press may flatten those top edges but it won’t fix the color loss or possible edge fraying or tears caused by those stresses.  Now I’m not saying definitively that there are tears or frayed edges here, it’s just that this type of rolled over edge frequently has fraying and small tears.  

What is there at the top is not "possible edge fraying",  but what I call slightly bent overhang of the top of the cover.   With that in mind, would your grade remain the same??

Edited by Comcasthawk

This edge is only part of the grade, there is an accumulation of defects, most notably the long color breaking crease that contributed to the grade I assessed.  But that, of course, is graded “as is” (conservatively, I might add) and once the book is cleaned and pressed it will likely do better than my grade.