• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do census numbers constitute value?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.  Are you asking if an 8.0 copy of Hefty #1 that has three in grade should be worth more than an 8.5 copy of the same book, that has 200 copies in grade?

If I sent in a coverless copy that was the only one in grade, would you think it would be worth more than the 8.5? It's much rarer, right?

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you.  Are you asking if an 8.0 copy of Hefty #1 that has three in grade should be worth more than an 8.5 copy of the same book, that has 200 copies in grade?

If I sent in a coverless copy that was the only one in grade, would you think it would be worth more than the 8.5? It's much rarer, right?

Yes, that is what I'm asking. However, if one were to send in a coverless copy of Hefty #1 it wouldn't grade at anywhere close to an 8.5. I was talking about two comics that are just a .5 grade apart.

4 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

Yes, that is what I'm asking. However, if one were to send in a coverless copy of Hefty #1 it wouldn't grade at anywhere close to an 8.5. I was talking about two comics that are just a .5 grade apart.

Still no.

We can quibble about comics that "present" better or worse than their technical grade, but in general higher grade means more value. Certainly, value is never tracked by census population. And the reasons for that should be obvious; otherwise, I could take a comic in a well-represented grade, ding the spine or blunt a corner, and then have it increase in value? Obviously not.

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Short answer is no. I don't know anyone who would pay more for an objectivly worse book because of the CGC census. 

+1, the census rarity in lower grades would never be a reason for a book to be more coveted. Never.

Almost always, the reason there are less books graded in lower grades is because they aren't worth grading. For your example, a lone 8.0 is probably due to someone sending in a book they thought would be high grade but they missed a defect (like a water droplet or something).

On the flip side, top census copies of issues fetch premium prices particularly when there are few other copies in the census in that top grade.  It's not uncommon for a top census book that's 1 of, say, 2 copies to fetch 10 times or even higher what the large census number of second highest graded copies go for.  People's willingness to pay top dollar for scarce top census copies shouldn't be overlooked.

Edited by namisgr

19 minutes ago, namisgr said:

On the flip side, top census copies of issues fetch premium prices particularly when there are few other copies in the census in that top grade.  It's not uncommon for a top census book that's 1 of, say, 2 copies to fetch 10 times or even higher what the large census number of second highest graded copies go for.  People's willingness to pay top dollar for scarce top census copies shouldn't be overlooked.

Case in point:
https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-1-comic-sells-for-a-record-44000/45713/

(thumbsu

Sometimes, the "top census premium" has an issue in a lower grade sell for more than a neighboring issue in a higher but more common grade.

Take Fantastic Four #51.  There are only a handful of copies in the top census grade of 9.6.  Historically, they sell for a lot more than top census 9.8 copies of FF #54 do.

So I suppose the scenario of the OP can sometimes happen.  (shrug)

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

(thumbsu

Sometimes, the "top census premium" has an issue in a lower grade sell for more than a neighboring issue in a higher but far more common grade.

Take Fantastic Four #51.  There are only a handful of copies in the top census grade of 9.6.  Historically, they sell for a lot more than top census 9.8 copies of FF #54 do, which are far more abundant than top census and scarcer but lower grade FF #51s.

So the scenario of the OP can sometimes happen.

It's not like what the OP said, because he mentioned it had to be the same comic. the scenario you gave makes sense and we see a lot of it, but the OP asked if an FF 51 9.6 would sell for more than an FF 51 9.8 if there were less 9.6 out there.

4 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It's not like what the OP said, because he mentioned it had to be the same comic. the scenario you gave makes sense and we see a lot of it, but the OP asked if an FF 51 9.6 would sell for more than an FF 51 9.8 if there were less 9.6 out there.

I didn't interpret his post that way.  To my read, he wanted to know whether a single issue might command a higher price in an 8.0 grade if that grade were top census and scarce than if the top census grade was 8.5 but the book was far more common in that top census grade.

Any other interpretation of the post doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

This is the correct interpretation of what I'm talking about. Thanks for the clarification.

52 minutes ago, AwesomeSauce said:

This is the correct interpretation of what I'm talking about. Thanks for the clarification.

Interesting game theory but I don't believe buyers would ever realistically spend more on a lower grade due some bizarre interpretation of grade rarity. 

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

I didn't interpret his post that way.  To my read, he wanted to know whether a single issue might command a higher price in an 8.0 grade if that grade were top census and scarce than if the top census grade was 8.5 but the book was far more common in that top census grade.

Any other interpretation of the post doesn't make sense to me.

Well then (as you can see from the reply above) you are telling the OP that his post makes no sense ;)

20 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Well then (as you can see from the reply above) you are telling the OP that his post makes no sense ;)

Well, that would be accurate. The idea that a lower grade copy of the same issue would sell for more because there are fewer copies at that grade on the CGC Census is :screwy: It is a complete and utter breakdown of logic.

31 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

You're right!  :grin: