• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dents by the spine ....
1 1

5 posts in this topic

So in looking at the spine and trying to purchase comics online I am able to spot the spine "ticks" that break color of varying sizes . 

What has been hearder is I have received books that have "dents" of varying sizes by the spine . 

I have seen 9.8 books with very small "dents " . 

Can bigger dents be pressed out of the book ? 

Meaning dents that dont break color . 

Sometimes they are very close to the spine and they are varying sizes and often hard to spot or impossible to spot just from pictures .

Thank You 

Most non color breaking indentations by the spine can be pressed out. The 9.8s you’ve seen were most likely considered part of the manufacturing process (usually where the staples are attached) and therefore not considered flaws. 
Take into consideration that what is invisible to the naked eye, even up close can/will be detected during the grading process because they are examined using other means so what you may perceive as a 9.8 may not be graded as such

12 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Most non color breaking indentations by the spine can be pressed out. The 9.8s you’ve seen were most likely considered part of the manufacturing process (usually where the staples are attached) and therefore not considered flaws. 
Take into consideration that what is invisible to the naked eye, even up close can/will be detected during the grading process because they are examined using other means so what you may perceive as a 9.8 may not be graded as such

Good to know thanks