• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck happened here?

10 posts in this topic

So, I recently picked up this copy of Star Spangled Comics #105, and it was immediately clear this book had a lot of issues. lol 

The first and obvious issue is the bottom right hand corner, which at first I thought was simply trimmed by someone at an odd angle. However after examining the book further it is clear to me that there's a lot more going on. First off the book is clearly miscut (at an angle) on the top and bottom (including the bottom edge not being cut straight), although I will say I feel like this is fairly common.

What I thought was the most interesting was the right edge of the book. This book is abnormally wide for a book published in 1950. This is evidenced by the strip of white showing on the right edge of the book. I have seen this before, but only on miswraps, and as noted by the staple position this book does not suffer from a miswrap. There is substantial white showing at the edge of the front and back cover. I also noticed, about the right edge, that the pages were very roughly cut (as shown in the pictures) something that is not usually the case.

I first thought that the only trimming was done to the bottom right corner, however now I'm not quite sure if ALL edges, or if NO edges are trimmed! lol 

I would appreciate any insights into what you guys think might have happened to this book during manufacturing or with trimming afterwards. Thanks.

20210301_185426.jpg

20210301_185436.jpg

20210301_185448.jpg

20210301_185456.jpg

20210301_185505.jpg

20210301_185129.jpg

20210301_185343.jpg

20210301_185121.jpg

20210301_185327.jpg

20210301_185209.jpg

First, I must congratulate you on posting one of the oddest books I've seen in a long time---it's actually pretty impressive in it's own way. 

From what I can tell, the edges of the pages do look correct with regard to this being a factory error and not just a kid with scissors running amok, but I have seen books that had both of those things going on at the same time. Sometimes someone will try to make the book "look better" and take matters into their own hands...  (shrug)

The things I would try to find out first are whether all the pages are there and to make sure the pages are all printed in the correct order---that's a good starting point. Good luck...

43 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

First, I must congratulate you on posting one of the oddest books I've seen in a long time---it's actually pretty impressive in it's own way. 

From what I can tell, the edges of the pages do look correct with regard to this being a factory error and not just a kid with scissors running amok, but I have seen books that had both of those things going on at the same time. Sometimes someone will try to make the book "look better" and take matters into their own hands...  (shrug)

The things I would try to find out first are whether all the pages are there and to make sure the pages are all printed in the correct order---that's a good starting point. Good luck...

Thanks, the book is complete, but I did not think to check the page order. I will definitely give it a look.

I hope it is just a manufacturing error, but either way at least it's one of a kind. lol  What I wouldn't give to see what actually happened in the factory, because I'm sure it was plenty interesting.

Edit: Just checked, and the pages are printed in the right order.

Edited by HuddyBee

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

So, I recently picked up this copy of Star Spangled Comics #105, and it was immediately clear this book had a lot of issues. lol 

The first and obvious issue is the bottom right hand corner, which at first I thought was simply trimmed by someone at an odd angle. However after examining the book further it is clear to me that there's a lot more going on. First off the book is clearly miscut (at an angle) on the top and bottom (including the bottom edge not being cut straight), although I will say I feel like this is fairly common.

What I thought was the most interesting was the right edge of the book. This book is abnormally wide for a book published in 1950. This is evidenced by the strip of white showing on the right edge of the book. I have seen this before, but only on miswraps, and as noted by the staple position this book does not suffer from a miswrap. There is substantial white showing at the edge of the front and back cover. I also noticed, about the right edge, that the pages were very roughly cut (as shown in the pictures) something that is not usually the case.

I first thought that the only trimming was done to the bottom right corner, however now I'm not quite sure if ALL edges, or if NO edges are trimmed! lol 

I would appreciate any insights into what you guys think might have happened to this book during manufacturing or with trimming afterwards. Thanks.

20210301_185426.jpg

20210301_185436.jpg

20210301_185448.jpg

20210301_185456.jpg

20210301_185505.jpg

20210301_185129.jpg

20210301_185343.jpg

20210301_185121.jpg

20210301_185327.jpg

20210301_185209.jpg

It was made in the days when they had no idea the magnitude in which they were holding

The third picture - look at the signature at the top (it appears cut by trimming) - after production of course.  There is also something odd about it's placement if it's not trimmed being so close to the edge so I'm going with trimmed at least on this edge.

20210301_185448.jpg

Edited by boatfund

52 minutes ago, boatfund said:

The third picture - look at the signature at the top (it appears cut by trimming) - after production of course.  There is also something odd about it's placement if it's not trimmed being so close to the edge so I'm going with trimmed at least on this edge.

20210301_185448.jpg

Nice catch.

5 hours ago, boatfund said:

Yep...makes perfect sense. Well done!