• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Auction Tomorrow
3 3

68 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wolvie_Fan said:

I was caught off guard at the Sam Kieth Marvel Comics Presents #104 cover closing at almost 37k.   Anybody else?

A lot of people are paying crazy money for things that I dont think the future will care about very much 

I came up short on the two pieces I went after, the Sal Cap end page splash and the page from X-Men #110. Prices seemed strong across the board.

The big shocker to me was the Bagley #361 "cover" selling for $62,000. It's not even the published cover for that issue! I know it was released years later as a variant, but still. That just seems nuts to me.

Mike

9 minutes ago, fsumavila said:

I came up short on the two pieces I went after, the Sal Cap end page splash and the page from X-Men #110. Prices seemed strong across the board.

The big shocker to me was the Bagley #361 "cover" selling for $62,000. It's not even the published cover for that issue! I know it was released years later as a variant, but still. That just seems nuts to me.

Mike

Oh, I didn’t even realize that. I didn’t bother to compare to the published version. So this was an unpublished cover ? It didn’t seem familiar at all. 

X-Men 110 page sold for nearly 2x last sale,  about 4 years ago.  Compared to sky high Byrne pages, this page has a nice price point yet loads of nostalgia, fun baseball action page with near full team.  Regret not bidding on it. 

17 hours ago, zhamlau said:

The Swamp Thing Page with Swampy on it seems like a sorta steal to me, Had him in multiple panels and it just felt right.

Definitely went low but also that was before Moore was writing on the title and that does make a huge difference.

46 minutes ago, lobrac said:

I was more caught off guard when it sold on eBay last October for $4500 BIN. Flip-of-the-pandemic material, no doubt.  :) 

Yeah, I remember.  The Same guy also sold the cover for MCP #106 for $4500 BIN. That cover ended up on CAF.  Who'd have thought a 900% gain in less than six months

3 hours ago, Peter G said:

Just compared it. Got it now. The published 361 is “iconic”. I remember buying 20 copies of the book. This unpublished version was unknown to me. Never seen the variant.

I may be wrong, but I think it was used for a fairly recent variant.  

Edited by fsumavila

14 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Definitely went low but also that was before Moore was writing on the title and that does make a huge difference.

"Now." 20 years from now (maybe even less) - no.

Fanboy minutiae like that will not matter nearly as much.

Look at the picture. That's what you're buying: Bissette/Totleben on ST, unbeatable combination.

I was the under bidder, crossing 2k was not a steal, I only go after steals.

$1,850, my top bid, would have been :) 

Whoever got it for $1,950 paid too much ( lol ) but they will be happy now and later (when they decide to re-sell).

So, newbie question about this Kieth Maxx cover

I was expecting it to go higher, as I had seen a piece listedn on CAT for $8k (admittedly, that one has Maxx + Julie + Gone)

Would you say this one went for $4k because it's only Maxx on it? does the pencil vs fully-painted affect the price negatively? (I personally like the contrast between the two more than a fully-painted cover, but that's personal preference), or did he right buyer just simply didn't pop up?

4 hours ago, vodou said:

"Now." 20 years from now (maybe even less) - no.

Fanboy minutiae like that will not matter nearly as much.

Look at the picture. That's what you're buying: Bissette/Totleben on ST, unbeatable combination.

I was the under bidder, crossing 2k was not a steal, I only go after steals.

$1,850, my top bid, would have been :) 

Whoever got it for $1,950 paid too much ( lol ) but they will be happy now and later (when they decide to re-sell).

I’m wondering if these prices will hold up after people can spend money again on things like vacations.

Just a few observations. I didn't go after anything and actually forgot about the auction until it was almost over. But, there were some great results, including that unpublished ASM Bagley cover and the Frazetta painting didn't do too bad.

Seeing the Arthur Adams art sell fairly cheap makes me wonder if his art has hit a temporary ceiling.

The Ayers Sgt. Fury splash selling for $10,000 was a surprise to me. The market for good Sgt. Fury art seems to be growing.

I thought the Saga of the Swamp Thing 17 page sold cheap, despite not being from an Alan Moore-written issue. Just like the page from issue 25 sold cheaper than what I expected because it is from a Moore issue.

The Alpha Flight 52 page by Brigman was a real surprise. Is that a record for a non-Byrne Alpha Flight page?

I absolutely hate that someone got Stan Lee to sign those Campbell pieces. It just ruins them for me. Completely ruins them.

I never liked Eric Canete's art, but I was shocked that the Superman: World of New Krypton cover sold SO cheap.

I wonder if the Armando Gil child sex crime conviction had anything to do with the Conan cover selling so low.

The Tom McWeeney Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 34 cover selling for nearly $5000 was a pleasant surprise. I guess Turtles art continues to be hot.

The Perez Avengers cover and the Avengers 315 cover by Paul Ryan sold right at what I expected them to sell and I made those predictions to one of my collecting buddies when I first saw those come up for sale. 

That Steve Skroce X-Man 7 cover selling for $5000 was a major surprise. 1990s art is hot.

The Steranko Comic Crusader 5 cover sold really, really low.

I also have to wonder if EVS's online controversies and political views haven't hurt the sales of his art. From the looks of those very low results, that may be the case.

The Excalibur 21 cover sold higher than what I imagined it would - especially with that ugly autograph right in the image area of the cover. Some artists signed comic art like they were a rockstar signing an album cover. Maybe that's what they felt like for a hot minute.

And the Mike Zeck Master of Kung Fu 60 page result proved that MOKF art continues to be hot. A couple years ago, I bought a page from this same issue for cheap. Probably can't do that anymore.

Also, I do NOT see the appeal of Skottie Young artwork and I'm always surprised that his pages and covers sell even close to what they sell for. He sure has some fans for his art to sell so high, but I'm not one of them and probably never will be. Can someone explain to me his art's appeal?