• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woah!

20 posts in this topic

I'll say $2500, but it's just a guess. The fact that it's just being used an Upper Deck promo piece/trading card might hold it back a bit, but it's beyond awesome!

I'll say $2500, but it's just a guess. The fact that it's just being used an Upper Deck promo piece/trading card might hold it back a bit, but it's beyond awesome!

That's silly. Now it is published. I dont know the market for this guy but if it wasnt even published Im betting it would suffer long-term as any possible investment.

KK

So you're saying that a published as a trading card will bring as much as the same piece published as a comic cover?

THAT'S silly.

Read my post again. I never said that. An unpublished piece is a questionable asset. I merely stated that "if it wasnt even published Im betting it would suffer long-term as any possible investment"

I actually totally agree with Kermit here Brett. I think the quality of art on this piece is very, very low. Although it's large art and presents quite nicely, it's really a fairly bland piece. There's a big x-spread and a lot of characters, but to pay $2k or north of that seems very high when consider how the work is simply not that great.

at best a medium artits quality work imho, just look at the majority of the faces, they are badly drawn (gambit, psylocke, kitty pride, beast clearly the worst from the bunch). frown.gif

for this amount i'm sure you could get much MUCH nicer, high quality stuff!!!

just my 2 cents...

I actually totally agree with Kermit here Brett. I think the quality of art on this piece is very, very low. Although it's large art and presents quite nicely, it's really a fairly bland piece. There's a big x-spread and a lot of characters, but to pay $2k or north of that seems very high when consider how the work is simply not that great.

at best a medium artits quality work imho, just look at the majority of the faces, they are badly drawn (gambit, psylocke, kitty pride, beast clearly the worst from the bunch). frown.gif

for this amount i'm sure you could get much MUCH nicer, high quality stuff!!!

just my 2 cents...

I think the price will top out right around the minimum bid, but I absolutely love the piece. I think JJ's style is fresh and lends itself well to the X-Men, but it's all a matter of taste thumbsup2.gif

James's student work by far was much stronger. I was one of the judges on the Society of Illustrators Student Show when he was a junior at SVA. We gave him the top award AND an award for most complete student. His work then was nothing like he is doing now. He did very realistic and gritty paintings and could flat out draw.

It looks like he is trying to invent a "comic" style but in my opinion, it doesn't work. The kid can draw and paint with no doubt, but what he's doing now, I feel like taking my vote back....

WHOA! ! !

I would have NEVER guessed it to hit that high, but than again, I've never purchased a J.J. piece so am not on top of the market. This piece is amazing in detail and I definitely like his art, BUT I think his style is a bit rounded and soft and don't think it works well with the "hard edge" characters, IMO.

Mike