• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I find a reliable Comic Book Presser?
3 3

33 posts in this topic

Not sure if that's the right word, but I just got back into comics after going through my 40+ year collection and have begun to submit comics to CGC for slabbing.  I don't have any concerns with CCS except for the wait time at around 100 days.  I want to find someone experienced I can give business to in the Seattle to Portland area.  I'd like someone I can meet in person to save on delivery .  I've seen multiple people respond on this sight that it doesn't matter where the presser lives. 

Thoughts?

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your assistance,

-iexx,

Edited by iexx
gramatical errors in original post

There are a number of boardies here that do cleaning/pressing.  I only use one guy...his name is Tony Starks (no kidding).  He owns Comics In A Flash out of Indiana.  Here's the link

https://www.comicsinaflash.com/

I would wait another day or two for more responses here.  There are more folks that know others who are semi active on the boards.  I don't even know Tony's CGC boardie name.  Lol.  We know each other personally... more or less. (thumbsu

P.S.  I mail in my comics to Tony.  He takes real good care of them and I've yet to have a problem.  If sending by mail, package them real good and pay extra for insurance.  I always send mine Priority because they seem to be better cared for that way. 

Edited by Galen130

Mike de challis of hero restoration is out of Lebanon Oregon.  He’s one of the best pressers there is (with the exception of @joeypost, who most of us use) and the service is great.  

https://www.herorestorationcomics.com

Edited by comicquant

14 hours ago, joeypost said:

Another thing to keep in mind is shipping books AFTER they are pressed. CCS is in-house and there are some who drive books down to CGC. Either way you have to ship your books and spend money on the shipping. It makes more sense to limit the damage that can occur after the pressing work is done. 

Thanks for that angle joeypost.  I thought about driving or flying a large amount to cgc, but I'm in the NW and it's pricy. After looking at several of the recommended pressing sites and starting to call I realize everyone is taking a while. 

One big value I see that addresses what you bring up is the CGC discounts I can get from some pressers and they ship to CGC for me.

8 minutes ago, iexx said:

Thanks for that angle joeypost.  I thought about driving or flying a large amount to cgc, but I'm in the NW and it's pricy. After looking at several of the recommended pressing sites and starting to call I realize everyone is taking a while. 

One big value I see that addresses what you bring up is the CGC discounts I can get from some pressers and they ship to CGC for me.

That is a good point.  When I mentioned shipping books to @Tony S, I didn't clarify that I live out west.  Driving out east isn't really an option due to distance..  Do your research and go with the best option for you.  Good luck.(thumbsu

On 3/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, thehumantorch said:

I think you'll find that any well known, high quality presser has a long wait time.  Also be aware that there are lots of guys pressing comics but not all of them are equal.

This is the best piece of advice you can get.  There are TONS of pressing services out there, but not all of them are worth the risk.

I have books right now, including my personal grail with @joeypost right now.  And as he said, limiting the possible shipping damage is a HUGE boon, look for that in a presser if at all possible.

On the social media platforms there have been good things said about Impressive, linked above, and Avery pressing.  Neither I have used personally.

Do not be afraid to ask questions, while the answers might be short, you should at least get answers.

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:

This is the best piece of advice you can get.  There are TONS of pressing services out there, but not all of them are worth the risk.

I have books right now, including my personal grail with @joeypost right now.  And as he said, limiting the possible shipping damage is a HUGE boon, look for that in a presser if at all possible.

On the social media platforms there have been good things said about Impressive, linked above, and Avery pressing.  Neither I have used personally.

Do not be afraid to ask questions, while the answers might be short, you should at least get answers.

We've tried two other local guys with good reputations, mostly to see if they were faster, and did okay but none of the books when graded surprised us in a good way.  Every submission we've sent through Joey had at least 1 big winner.  We haven't sent a ton through either local guy so our sample size isn't conclusive but Joey's results  have won our business