• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Phill the Governor said:

Okay, I just had a copy of "If I Ran The Zoo" from 1950 removed from ebay for violating their terms.

According to ebay:

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Offensive material policy. Listings that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination aren’t allowed.

What activity didn't follow the policy

Dr. Seuss Enterprises has stopped publication of this book due to its negative portrayal of some ethnicities. As a courtesy, we have ended your item and refunded your selling fees, and as long as you do not relist the item, there will be no negative impact to your account. Please review our Offensive Materials Policy prohibits this item for more information.

What you need to do next

You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy

- Listings that promote, perpetuate, or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination, including on the grounds of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, aren’t allowed. This includes, but isn't limited to, the following:
-- Slurs or epithets of any kind
-- Items, including figurines, cartoons, housewares, historical advertisements, and golliwogs with racist, anti-Semitic, or otherwise demeaning portrayals, for example through caricatures or other exaggerated features
-- Black Americana items that are discriminatory
-- Slavery items, including reproductions, such as tags, shackles, documents, bills of sale, etc.
-- Confederate battle flag and related items with its image
-- Historical Holocaust-related items, including reproductions
-- Any item that is anti-Semitic or any item from after 1933 that bears a swastika
-- Media identified as Nazi propaganda
-- Listings that imply or promote support of, membership in, or funding of a terrorist organization
- When offering shipping to other countries, make sure to first check our International trading policy to verify that your item is allowed

So, is it just a matter of time until we start seeing comic books being removed from ebay? What about an Alex Schomburg WWII Young Allies cover, or a Spirit Section by Eisner. Hell, what about an Invaders 1 that has swastika on it?

I'm seeing a double standard here.

There's still a lot of these up for bid.  Why yours or have they not gotten to all of them yet?

Will Eisner is one of my top ten comic creators of all time, apart from his depiction of Ebony, which was quite appalling.  I wouldn't ban those images, as they could also be seen from a contemporary perspective as being quite pitiful, and with that response, an indication that perhaps, hopefully, we've moved on and become more inclusive; a repulsiveness that could still help distance further from historically xenophobic attitudes.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The following items may be listed:

• Media such as historical photos, magazines, books and art, provided that such material doesn't perpetuate or glorify violence, intolerance or racial stereotyping
  • Items related to the Civil Rights Movement
  • Stamps, letters, and envelopes displaying Nazi postmarks
  • Currency issued by the Nazi Germany government, including military scripts
  • Historically accurate WWII military model kits that have Nazi symbols
  • Historical and religious items that bear a swastika if they are made before 1933 and are not related to Nazism
  • image.thumb.png.af8d1b5d180aa5f728474d67278bf04f.png

For the sake of tolerance, we cannot tolerate that which we label as intolerant.

Edited by jcjames

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

For the sake of tolerance, we cannot tolerate that which we label as intolerance.

Ya I dont know where suess falls on the spectrum....

I havent read the articles, but is it possible that captain America will be next? Or golden age? I dont know much about either lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Even I think this is silly. We can't cancel everything before 1970. 98% of his depictions are white. so were 99% of his readers. while i understand not publishing them, some of the stuff I have seen pictured is incredibly mild compared to what was typical of the day. I am afraid we're going to have to burn our Timely Comics. I will provide an address you can send your copies to so that i can properly dispose of them.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Historical and religious items that bear a swastika if they are made before 1933 and are not related to Nazism

I'd considered that one, as in Asian culture the "reversed" (original) version has no such stigma attached to it.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ipy I dont know where suess falls on the spectrum....

I havent red the articles, but is it possible that captain America will be next? Or golden age? I dont know much about either lol

10 years ago doctor seuss was being lauded as a visionary and all that stuff. 

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'd considered that one, as in Asian culture the "reversed" (original) version has no such stigma attached to it.

How did suess glorify it? Does cap? 

Does all golden age? 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

10 years ago doctor seuss was being lauded as a visionary and all that stuff. 

Dont usually the good guys win in a comic? Or what about to be continued issues where the good guy hasn't won yet? 

Are yall going to make me Google dr suess articles?

:roflmao:

For the benefit or posterity of the thread shouldn't that be here to know what the lol Is going on? Haha

Like I said I dont know my golden age but I know mags get there 

Still lol

Dr Suess?

1 minute ago, HighRadArt said:

So I can buy a copy of Mein Kampf but not If I ran the zoo?  Sounds crazy just saying it.

This, that's why I wanted context, or is it people just dont know golden age comics do the same and its not wide known knowledge? Idk

I'll see my way out, just hoping there is a voice of reason towards cap or others :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

So I can buy a copy of Mein Kampf but not If I ran the zoo?  Sounds crazy just saying it.

because it really is not true

Mein Kampf wasn't published for many years

you can buy both books right now and I do not see that changing

1 minute ago, Timely said:

Don’t most comics contain violence! How far down the rabbit hole will this go?

I bet I could go on ebay and buy a German wartime coin with a swastika on it right now.When will that change?