• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

it is all good

can you show us the page(s) in question in your book please, maybe in spoilers to be "safe"...don't want any censorship here :devil:

Child in a cage wearing culturally identifiable clothing

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

Just because I am good guessing doesn't mean I understood you. I have been married a long time. Quite often my wife will not even speak to me. So I have to do a lot of guessing.

No worries I tried to make sense, I just had a great day today, and may have been a little over zealous when typing ha

Still I understand, because I don't think I understand too much of what is being said because of not being familiar with golden and atomic ages.

I'm trying to narrow down the implications of ebay's policy to either golden age and atomic age and not silver or forward ages....

I don't believe I own anything that could not be sold on ebay, but now would have to get a better description of criteria than a Dr seuss book is what I'm trying to say..

:sorry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

Is it better to guess or ask "what's wrong?"

Are you married? Does that actually work for you? The fact that I would ask, and do not know, makes it 120X worse.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No worries I tried to make sense, I just had a great day today, and may have been a little over zealous when typing ha

Still I understand, because I don't think I understand too much of what is being said because of not being familiar with golden and atomic ages.

I'm trying to narrow down the implications of ebay's policy to either golden age and atomic mut not silver or forward ages....

I don't believe I own anything that could not be sold on ebay, but now would have to get a better description of criteria than a Dr seuss book is what I'm trying to say..

:sorry:

Some parts of this cover may be considered a bit rayray. to be fair, general togo does not have fangs like most japanese are depicted as having in many WW II era covers, so that's an improvement. He doesn't really come off worse than the other fascists. The depiction of Wash Jones, ehhhhhh, Schomburg, we love you, but......

Image 1 - Young-Allies-9-CGC-5-0-1943-Classic-Hitler-Tojo-Mussolini-WWII-Cvr-Story-RARE

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

So, if you own the above comic, or any like it, you should send it to me for proper disposal. i will be happy to pay shipping to rid the world of such things.

I am offended by my shortbox of Turok, what is your address?

Just now, Hekla said:

I am offended by my shortbox of Turok, what is your address?

Those painted covers from the 50s - 70s are indeed offensive, particularly to me, as I am 1/164th native american and my ancestors did not hunt dinosaurs. I will PM you.

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

Some parts of this cover may be considered a bit rayray. to be fair, general togo does not have fangs like most japanese are depicted as having in many WW II era covers, so that's an improvement. He doesn't really come off worse than the other fascists. The depiction of Wash Jones, ehhhhhh, Schomburg, we love you, but......

Image 1 - Young-Allies-9-CGC-5-0-1943-Classic-Hitler-Tojo-Mussolini-WWII-Cvr-Story-RARE

Thank you for bearing with me on that lol

I guess I kind of knew my answer but was trying to clarify, so thanks 😊

It's a wonder it didn't happen before or to more obvious things. I can see not publishing. It's just a wonder that dr seuss was the first I heard of ebay's stance. I agree with the stance when it comes to promoting such practices, I also get the point that we can not deny history. 

I guess I also was hoping to know where the line is, but I think it's something we don't know yet when it comes to silver age to modern.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

24 minutes ago, Rip said:

There must be over 150 other copies on E-bay. On rare occasion you'll get someone on E-bay who goes over the line.

Relist it with a slightly different name. I remember having an occasional problem with some underground comics.

Not so much anymore.

If that person from E-bay really thought it through, they would then need to ban 10's of thousands of WWII comics and books.

This.

I've had Tijuana Bibles taken down frequently, even when there is nothing offensive about the title and cover art, because of the adult content. I just put them back up, and it the listing usually lasted until sold. Recently ebay vanished a listing I had for a men's adventure magazine from the 60s with the usual nazi torture hijinx on the cover. I just put it back up as well. The only headache is you have to recreate the entire listing. The weirdest thing was when they zapped a magazine I'd already purchased before it was mailed. The seller was able to print the shipping label, but neither of us could leave feedback. My wife has issues selling vintage items with the word "shell" in the title, as there are endangered turtles whose shells are not legal to trade. 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess I also was hoping to know where the line is, but I think it's something we don't know yet when it comes to silver age to modern.

I think Hansi uses that line as a jump rope.

Hansi is a great example. The book does not reflect the cover apparently. But how many people see the cover, do not read the comic, and have their prejudice reinforced? Hansi is so cute with her pig tails.

The kid (now a man) who acted with Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino now regrets it. Even though the message of the movie is tolerance, he says all the racist that precedes it carries more weight than the final message and the movie reinforces stereotypes more than confronting them. He may be right, he may be wrong but I think that it is one way racism is perpetuated; through exposure to hurtful images, words and such and a larger message is often lost or ignored.

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank you for bearing with me on that lol

I guess I kind of knew my answer but was trying to clarify, so thanks 😊

It's a wonder it didn't happen before or to more obvious things. I can see not publishing. It's just a wonder that dr seuss was the first I heard of ebay's stance. I agree with the stance when it comes to promoting such practices, I also get the point that we can not deny history. 

So we have a comic like Yellow Fang, where the villian is pretty much every asian menace stereo type you can think of rolled up in one, but the hero, Jimmy Woo, as I understand it, was done very respectfully. Of course, there's probably some paternalism going on there, but whatever.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

So we have a comic like Yellow Fang, where the villian is pretty much every asian menace stereo type you can think of rolled up in one, but the hero, Jimmy Woo, as I understand it, was done very respectfully. Of course, there's probably some paternalism going on there, but whatever.

You're mixing up Yellow Claw and Wu Fang when it comes to yellow peril villains. Of course nothing tops Egg Fu for pure ridiculousness in this category.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

nahh, we're all practically agreeing with eachother

Yes we are

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I think Hansi uses that line as a jump rope.

Hansi is a great example. The book does not reflect the cover apparently. But how many people see the cover, do not read the comic, and have their prejudice reinforced? Hansi is so cute with her pig tails.

The kid (now a man) who acted with Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino now regrets it. Even though the message of the movie is tolerance, he says all the racist that precedes it carries more weight than the final message and the movie reinforces stereotypes more than confronting them. He may be right, he may be wrong but I think that it is one way racism is perpetuated; through exposure to hurtful images, words and such and a larger message is often lost or ignored.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

And the progress society makes every day makes these in retrospect look kind of worse without context, which is what I thought should be in the thread, I just didnt have first hand experience to say it.

Cant erase or sweep under the rug, but the line to teach gets blurred, and it falls behind meaning well, just hope it clears up in the end  :)

31 minutes ago, the blob said:

I bought my copy of that Hitler cover book on ebay within past few years.  Missing a wrap or two at centerfold, so if anyone knows anyone pls give a shout.