• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious about the wording of the OPs listing.  There are a ton of these still listed on EBay.(shrug)

There was nothing in my title that was out of the ordinary. And while I had some nice interior photos of the book too, none were of the "questionable" content. (shrug)

I can understand stopping print on a book that is racist or cruel but the whole cancel culture and/or censorship is out of hand.  I'd rather buy and/or read a book and make my own decision than be told my decision. 

With that said, I also have some liefield books I find offensive.  I can't bring myself to burn them so who should I ship them to?

1 minute ago, Phill the Governor said:

There was nothing in my title that was out of the ordinary. And while I had some nice interior photos of the book too, none were of the "questionable" content. (shrug)

Someone ratted you out, just relist, as was already mentioned earlier in the thread.

It's BS, but so are a lot of things we disagree with.

2 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

Appreciate the response.  I guess we’ll have to wait and see if the others get pulled.

7 minutes ago, grebal said:

I bought my copy of that Hitler cover book on ebay within past few years.  Missing a wrap or two at centerfold, so if anyone knows anyone pls give a shout.

i was just pointing it out as a GA cover someone might complain to ebay about

Ya the culture is one thing, the "enforcement " another, there should be a way to enjoy history for what it is, imo, just seems it gets picked at randomly. Dr suess today? Sure ok, but there is too much in history to replace it by also randomly enforcing a sale ban.

The only other I've heard of was cherry poptart which I also thought was equally ridiculous since you have to be 18 to sign on Ebay 

I'd be all for improvement if it just didnt seem so random and because of generalizations that all sound well meaning, but imo are still one thing one day and another any other day.

I do seem to remember suess being lauded a while ago, random

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Ebay must have been offended by their own 1% Ebay Bucks program too.

They decided to cancel it.

Thank you for being a Bucks member, and a valuable part of our eBay community. We’re reaching out to tell you about upcoming changes to the eBay Bucks program.

After careful consideration, we’ve decided to retire the 1% earnings reward on everyday purchases starting April 1st, 2021.

16 minutes ago, the blob said:

i was just pointing it out as a GA cover someone might complain to ebay about

I hear ya.

And I was commenting that it hadn't been banned (yet) as of a few years ago.  And then added a shameless fishing-for-marriage-material-for-my-comic comment.  Because once banned, how on earth is anyone with a coverless copy or some center pages going to find me?

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

cherry potato

I grow potatoes but never this variety!  

1 minute ago, speedcake said:

And historically, apart from barring obviously problematic items like body parts, they haven't.

You cannot sell some comics to people in England (I forget, war comics or horror comics or something) and occasionally ebay will put the kibosh on a sale because of this. Kinda the same thing but not really. But ebay stops the sale of certain material in comics to people in England (and I assume other countries with laws like that).

11 minutes ago, Bird said:

You cannot sell some comics to people in England (I forget, war comics or horror comics or something) and occasionally ebay will put the kibosh on a sale because of this. Kinda the same thing but not really. But ebay stops the sale of certain material in comics to people in England (and I assume other countries with laws like that).

Which is infantilizing and not the kind of governmental overreach anyone should support. I know England has a long history of nanny state censorship regarding film as well, not surprising it extended to other mediums.

Edited by speedcake

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Which is infantilizing and not the kind of governmental overreach anyone should support. I know England has a long history of nanny state censorship regarding film as well, not surprising it extended to other mediums as well.

I agree. I was just saying that ebay does get involved in content at times.

6 hours ago, Bird said:

You cannot sell some comics to people in England (I forget, war comics or horror comics or something)

That hasn't been enforced over here for decades.

Even in the 70s you had Tomb of Dracula, and magazines such as Psycho, distributed on the newsstands.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

That hasn't been enforced over here for decades.

well, it comes up on ebay for me when I ship to England Or it has in the recent past at least. I just ignore it.

8 minutes ago, Bird said:

well, it comes up on ebay for me when I ship to England Or it has in the recent past at least. I just ignore it.

Best thing.  They're well behind the times.  50 years or so, not just a little.

Edited by Ken Aldred