• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

So I can still buy Lovecraft but can’t buy Seuss? (shrug)

You can buy Suess any time you want. There's tons on ebay right now and always and there's like 30 million copies of each book out there anyway so even if ebay didn't allow them to be sold on their site they are still easy to find anywhere else. 

5 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Guess you don’t need to burn books if you never allow them to be published. 

Hi tech tyranny will be far worse than anything in the past.

It's instantaneous, and you can't even see who's doing it.

1 hour ago, Phill the Governor said:

There was nothing in my title that was out of the ordinary. And while I had some nice interior photos of the book too, none were of the "questionable" content. (shrug)

Because someone complained about it.  eBay does not police their items unless there is a complaint.  Now, who might have complained?  Someone that doesn't believe the book should be sold.  It could also be a someone else who is selling the book and trying to eliminate competition. 

Who knows? 

I like listing "joke" stuff on eBay and have had things pulled down, only to wait a month later and I relist it.  What am I talking about?  Old dirty worn out shoes.  Someone once complained and said it was obscene.  lol I'm going to own it... it was.   It was totally salacious and masked to see who would buy them.  I figured out it was one image that pushed the shoes over the edge.  

Those that know about the NFL Legal Troubles collection I am putting together... I might put a stop to it as I have plans to one day auction it off.  Does this mean that eBay will disallow the auctioning off of OJ Simpson and Rae Caruth's autographs? Is Kellen Winslow Jr a no-no but Plaixico Burress okay? 

(Plaxico's chase auto card is currently in the mail)

44 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Because someone complained about it.  eBay does not police their items unless there is a complaint.  Now, who might have complained?  Someone that doesn't believe the book should be sold.  It could also be a someone else who is selling the book and trying to eliminate competition. 

Who knows? 

I like listing "joke" stuff on eBay and have had things pulled down, only to wait a month later and I relist it.  What am I talking about?  Old dirty worn out shoes.  Someone once complained and said it was obscene.  lol I'm going to own it... it was.   It was totally salacious and masked to see who would buy them.  I figured out it was one image that pushed the shoes over the edge.  

Those that know about the NFL Legal Troubles collection I am putting together... I might put a stop to it as I have plans to one day auction it off.  Does this mean that eBay will disallow the auctioning off of OJ Simpson and Rae Caruth's autographs? Is Kellen Winslow Jr a no-no but Plaixico Burress okay? 

(Plaxico's chase auto card is currently in the mail)

I read this and was confused...and then I checked the Kellen Winslow news and whoa! I can't believe I had been missing this...

5 hours ago, speedcake said:

If we can sell Cherry Poptart comics on Ebay, we can sell anything.

Until the new morality police come for Cherry, too.

Ebay as a selling platform shouldn't be in the business of judging why someone sells a certain item or why someone else might buy it. And historically, apart from barring obviously problematic items like body parts, they haven't.

But this is 2021 and the western world is in the grip of a moral panic and cancel culture is rampant. Hopefully stuff like this doesn't creep more and more into our daily experience, but it's a troubling anecdote for sure. 

But that's the whole problem: sometimes you can sell Cherry on eBay, and sometimes you can't.

I got a nice collection a few years ago, put them up, sold in no time on eBay.

Got a second collection, eBay yanked the listings, so I relisted them in the Adults Only section, which really is the kiss of death for listings. Can't search it, no one goes there. So they sat unsold, until I gave up and sold most of them here.

The ones that didn't sell here, I took BACK to eBay, relisted them as BIN's, and they all sold with no issue.

Again, it's the whack-a-mole inconsistency with eBay's "standards" that drives me batty.

6 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

But that's the whole problem: sometimes you can sell Cherry on eBay, and sometimes you can't.

Got a second collection, eBay yanked the listings, so I relisted them in the Adults Only section, which really is the kiss of death for listings. Can't search it, no one goes there. So they sat unsold, until I gave up and sold most of them here.

The ones that didn't sell here, I took BACK to eBay, relisted them as BIN's, and they all sold with no issue.

Again, it's the whack-a-mole inconsistency with eBay's "standards" that drives me batty.

I was being mildly facetious. I know eBay is inconsistent with what gets yoinked (snicker) and what doesn't.  If they were to begin pulling listings en masse for items caught up in cultural hysteria moments, books etc, then that would be pretty problematic. It doesn't appear that they are, and this case was just the usual "got reported by a prude" so it got pulled.

50 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It's whether or not someone reports it.   I had bought out numerous lego lots and weeded out all the megablocks, Kreo and other Lego imitation bricks.  I put them in a giant lot for $40 or something like that.  Because eBay buyers can sometimes be, "eBay Buyers" I put a disclaimer in the listing, not the title, that the buyer was not receiving any Lego bricks but that all of these bricks were compatible.  They were even listed in the 'other building blocks' category.  I did not list these in Lego area.

The listing was removed. 

Called up eBay to complain and listed it again.  This time they sold. 

There really is no sense to it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I read this and was confused...and then I checked the Kellen Winslow news and whoa! I can't believe I had been missing this...

Oh yeah... He got off light if you ask me.  I really don't know how he survives prison with what he did. 

9 hours ago, Pontoon said:

The books haven't been banned and there's millions out there; the estate simply decided to discontinue publishing them.

:bump:

FYI, certainly doesn't seem like a roulette of which ones will get removed. Yesterday there were somewhere around 700 copies of the book on ebay. This morning there are around 150. The vast majority in completed listings (even as "sold") have the "this listing was ended because of an error in the listing" disclaimer. Which is a nice way of ebay saying "we removed this listing".

This is disgusting and ignorance on this level leaves me speechless.