• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

And that's the goal.

There is no culture, not a one, that could survive the ever-expanding removal of its history, art, literature, philosophy and heroes, under the pseudonyms of "inclusion" and "tolerance".

I don't understand this. So you are ok with bringing back the Coon Chicken Inn and N*gger Hair Tobacco and the tens of thousands of products and books with racist stereotypes etc? Where do you draw the line then? Stuff like this should be removed because it's f*cked up and from a culture that was f"cked up.

So somehow getting rid of disgusting racist imagery and stuff means culture is doomed? What you wrote sounds like what people said 70 years ago when racist stuff was being removed and whites only lunch counters etc were being removed and white people were freaking out about their culture being destroyed.

20 minutes ago, catman76 said:

I don't understand this. So you are ok with bringing back the Coon Chicken Inn and N*gger Hair Tobacco and the tens of thousands of products and books with racist stereotypes etc? Where do you draw the line then? Stuff like this should be removed because it's f*cked up and from a culture that was f"cked up.

So somehow getting rid of disgusting racist imagery and stuff means culture is doomed? What you wrote sounds like what people said 70 years ago when racist stuff was being removed and whites only lunch counters etc were being removed and white people were freaking out about their culture being destroyed.

I'm not the one drawing the line that excludes Dr. Seuss books - YOU are. So where does YOUR line end?

ETA: Since you bring up lunch counters, you clearly hadn't read my prior post referring directly to them. "They were wrong."

Dr. Seuss drawings do not equal segregated lunch counters in any way, shape, hint or shadow. Your implication is irrational, vapid and hyperbolic. 

Edited by jcjames

On 3/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, Number 6 said:

Ok, now I have to look up “golliwog”...

A lot of people don't know that this was what Creedence Cleartware Revival was called before they became CCR

On 3/3/2021 at 5:16 PM, Namtak said:

Frank miller for me described censorship in the most shocking way.i really think his drawing says it all

Miller+on+censorship.gif

The Dark Knight Returns and the battle between Superman and Batman take on a whole new meaning to me today that I didn't realize back in 1986

On 3/3/2021 at 5:30 PM, Bird said:

yes I did...did YOU? This is not widespread, this is just one case on ebay. It is not censorship.

This thread is less rational than the Wandavision thread!

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're understanding of widespread and mine are the same. :foryou:

It is literally creeping in from all sides and increasing in speed and intensity. And it's not going to stop.

We are headed down a road that is not at all healthy or conducive to remember the past or building a healthy future.

History has shown this over and over and the outcome is always the same.

Edited by VintageComics

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The Dark Knight Returns and the battle between Superman and Batman take on a whole new meaning to me today that I didn't realize back in 1986

Care to explain? I'm legit curious.

To me, the fight changed meaning cannon wise when it was later revealed that Superman was fighting Batman at the behest of Lex Luthor. It really lessened the impact for me.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:
36 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Care to explain? I'm legit curious.

To me, the fight changed meaning cannon wise when it was later revealed that Superman was fighting Batman at the behest of Lex Luthor. It really lessened the impact for me.

I'll drop you a PM but it's reflective of Franks personal and ideological views of the world.

10 hours ago, Prince Namor said:

Exactly.

But everyone in America feels entitled these days, and it's just a matter of time before someone compares this to nazi Germany.

9 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Whatever eBay is doing, the point is, this isn't censorship. eBay is not a public library. They're a business, beholden only to themselves and their shareholders. They've made the business decision that the possible bad optics of having this material available for sale isn't worth the trade off for the money they'd make in selling fees. eBay doesn't have an obligation to sell anything and everything. I'm certain they crunched the numbers, and made the decision they felt would be most beneficial to their bottom line, and that's the end of the story.

Censorship definition

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient.  Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies"

Private Institution definition

"Independent entity owned by a non-State entity, such as a firm, business enterprise or individual. Although the principal activity is non-educational, it may develop, finance or implement activities in the domain of ICT in education."

Censorship is not limited to public libraries or public institutions.  Combined with what's currently going on in the media it's pretty clear to me that this is censorship and it won't stop here.

Correct.

It's not a light switch that just happens to get turned on one day.

You don't wake up one morning and everything is different. It creeps around you slowly and you don't see it until it's somewhere close. And it's not just 'private firms' it's happening across society with a swath that captures everyone in some way.

And there's clearly defined and identifiable reasons why. It's just really beyond the scope of this chat forum to discuss it. It's a discussion I'm happy to have if anyone feels like doing it via PM

5 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Well yeah i understand what you mean miller and others always had to fight for their idea ,marvel dc would not let them do what they wanted most of the time.dark knight returns is the culmination of his popularity that led dc to let him do it ,but he was still on a leash,thats part of the reason he is one of the co-fouder or dark horse comics.liberty of expression for a media originally made for children,and yet still critisized for his content in comics he lash out and drew the aforementioned picture of censorship that i first saw in a wizard magazine at the  age of 8 or 9.the message was cristal clear.

13 hours ago, stynxno said:

So I think the correct analogy to this situation isn’t golden age comics but the recent antisemtism in Incredible Hulk. Once marvel said they were going to change it, eBay was flooded with folks trying to profit off the antisemitism.  This isn’t censorship but whether a private company wants to be associated with people speculating on racism. 

Is it, "trying to profit off the antisemitism", or is it just trying to profit off the limited print since it's going to be printed differently in the future?

People sold Batman: Damned #1 overpriced because they were going to remove The Batwang. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Is it, "trying to profit off the antisemitism", or is it just trying to profit off the limited print since it's going to be printed differently in the future?

People sold Batman: Damned #1 overpriced because they were going to remove The Batwang. (shrug)

Any first edition that will never be reissued in its original state will always go up in price,thats a fact any collector knows.being for any reason, error cover or any other reason.;)