• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay offensive material policy - Just the beginning of censorship, already happening? Whats the scoop?
3 3

631 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, snitzer said:

It’s a little more complicated than that...the SPLC made the declaration re: Dr. Seuss material. Then a school board in VA banned the books. From there, the media starts frothing at the mouth, as well as the Twitter keyboard warriors, now the publisher is forced to act. Add a dash of virtue signaling by eBay and you got the mess we’re in. If the SPLC targets comics next, don’t be surprised.

Oh for Pete's Sake, nobody is going to miss this silly book. The world will keep turning, commerce will see no change, and the sun will still rise tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Prince Namor said:

Oh for Pete's Sake, nobody is going to miss this silly book. The world will keep turning, commerce will see no change, and the sun will still rise tomorrow.

That’s a fair opinion an individual can hold. 

11 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

In this case start by thinking about when the Taliban blew up the ancient archaeological statues. I see similarities. Do you?

I know many think that America is a cultural wasteland, but if Dr. Seuss is our equivalent to their ancient archaeological statues...

11 minutes ago, comeaux said:

Dgarthwaite that you?

Here ya go buddy ... you needs these :roflmao:

medals.jpg

So you find my six word post so boring that you have to respond and include a picture of yourself?

I’ve been on these boards for the last 10 years, the same as you and have never interacted with you because I also find you boring as well since every one of your post begins with “I”, although the TurdslabTM glitterati voted you “Forumite of The Year”, you’re not that important except to the 3 or 4 of your sandbox playmates who feel the need to summon you with @buzzetta even though they know you’ve seen every post as you’re on these boards 24/7.

Not sure if I’ll get banned again for this post as the last time I responded to the #1 conspiracy theorist on this board who continuously posted political links to the New York Times with outlandish leftwing insanity with a simple comment “you need a new tinfoil hat”, I was banned for 3 weeks although all of the political links were allowed to remain which illustrates the position of those who “moderate” these boards.  

Here’s a tip for you @buzzetta, try getting out of your moldy, one bedroom apartment on occasion and interact with real humans outside of this board. There’s a world out there and if/when you ever get laid (excluding you hand) then you might not be so weird.  

lol 

Like I said. 

16 minutes ago, comeaux said:

Dgarthwaite that you?

medals.jpg

So you find my six word post so boring that you have to respond and include a picture of yourself?

I’ve been on these boards for the last 10 years, the same as you and have never interacted with you because I also find you boring as well since every one of your post begins with “I”, although the TurdslabTM glitterati voted you “Forumite of The Year”, you’re not that important except to the 3 or 4 of your sandbox playmates who feel the need to summon you with @buzzetta even though they know you’ve seen every post as you’re on these boards 24/7.

Not sure if I’ll get banned again for this post as the last time I responded to the #1 conspiracy theorist on this board who continuously posted political links to the New York Times with outlandish leftwing insanity with a simple comment “you need a new tinfoil hat”, I was banned for 3 weeks although all of the political links were allowed to remain which illustrates the position of those who “moderate” these boards.  

Here’s a tip for you @buzzetta, try getting out of your moldy, one bedroom apartment on occasion and interact with real humans outside of this board. There’s a world out there and if/when you ever get laid (excluding you hand) then you might not be so weird.  

You know, I thought about humping that button to send you to your next vacation.  You got a vacation after you posted the thing about Zaid right?  So yeah, I figured, "Hit that button" and throw some soap on the dirty ya know?  But nah... You know why?

I want people to see you for what you are.  And as I told someone else who was like you, I very much like the fact that people like you are out in the open.  You got nothing buddy.  Honestly it's great.  When you write like that you show everyone here exactly what type of person you are.  You seem just, angry.  And angry people are kind of alone in their anger.  So... you got that going for you, I guess. 

Because we all know that if you get banned, you will come right back here under a new name.  So, mods... don't ban him.  Let people see him for the guy he is. 

Interesting: 

I listed some Transformers for sale in the FB marketplace and it was blocked as it did not adhere to the guidelines.   I requested a review.   I think the software recognized weapons in the picture and they are trying to ban the sale of firearms over private groups on Facebook.  We shall see what happens.   Luckily I saved the text so perhaps I can make some alterations if I try again. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Interesting: 

I listed some Transformers for sale in the FB marketplace and it was blocked as it did not adhere to the guidelines.   I requested a review.   I think the software recognized weapons in the picture and they are trying to ban the sale of firearms over private groups on Facebook.  We shall see what happens.   Luckily I saved the text so perhaps I can make some alterations if I try again. 

Can we get back to fightin please?

Ragin Cajun,I await your diatribe 

9 hours ago, comeaux said:

Dgarthwaite that you?

medals.jpg

@Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

I think you are too quick to be so dismissive of people's concerns.  It's not about one "silly book".  There is barely a week goes by now where some book or movie or song isn't being pilloried for being un-PC.  As a bookstore owner I have very real and substantial concerns over where this is heading.  (A) I like to know history, warts and all.  I don't want it "disappeared".  (B)  As a retailer, it becomes nearly impossible to keep up with it all.  Even were I so inclined to pull everything from the shelves that has been outed as offensive, sooner or later I will miss something and get into trouble.

And for those that say you can still sell these things at shops or at shows, I ask, is that really true?  It will depend, of course, on the degree of outrage that is ultimately generated.  But how long before someone sees a display at a show they find offensive and complain to the show-runners, who will almost certainly cave out of fear and ban the items or vendor?  If someone snaps a picture of an "offensive" item in my display case and circulates it to the right people, will I find my shop being trashed online, or the local media outside my door inquiring as to why I'm supporting hate?

I've written books on pulps.  There's hardly an issue of a pulp out there that isn't offensive by today's standards.  Dr. Seuss is nowhere near as offensive as the racism prevalent throughout the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, or the sexism in nearly all of Robert E. Howard's output.  CGC and the major auction houses will hardly be immune from criticism... slabbing and promoting the sale of golden-age comics could easily be seen as insensitive, for instance.  So jokes aside about the silliness of it all, and I've done it myself... but there are very real concerns for retailers and collectors out there if this trend is anything more than a temporary aberration... which is why this thread is actually one of the most important ones to appear hear in quite awhile. 

Thank you for understanding where my concerns are stemming from. My initial post could be viewed as someone simply complaining about not being able to cash in on a newly deemed "taboo" collectible. But I could really care less about that. My point is how this has the potential to be the catalyst for a substantially larger, negative impact on culture as a whole; in ways that may not seem possible to some, but are indeed very real. 

17 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Interesting: 

Hope it works out for you, recreating those listings is a pain. I know in most of the Joe groups I'm in, they refer to the guns as "pews" because if they use the word "gun", it may get pulled. Heck, last year I put up a bunch of postings selling MASK figures, and FB yanked them because they thought I was selling unlicensed covid masks! Requested a review, they still denied it. Seems like there's a big difference in a homemade mouth covering and a plastic car that converts from a Trans Am into a plane, but what do I know? All bow to the algorithm!