• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Geppi and the Church Collection

33 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Purely from a collecting standpoint, acquiring at least one book from each historic pedigree is a more practical and achievable goal given the state of play today.  There are pedigrees of high quality with books that rival ...in some cases, pass... those from Edgar Church's legacy. (thumbsu

AND a tremendously fun goal.  my ped type-set has been one of my favorite pursuits.   and it’s something of a perpetual-motion machine—i change out books all the time so it’s never really complete. 

Edited by Straw-Man

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Purely from a collecting standpoint, acquiring at least one book from each historic pedigree is a more practical and achievable goal given the state of play today.  There are pedigrees of high quality with books that rival ...in some cases, pass... those from Edgar Church's legacy. (thumbsu

I take that approach. Straw-Man is a lot more of a completist than I am. His goal is to have at least one of every pedigree. I mainly want “marked” ones. Nothing cooler than sliding a book out with “Larson” on the cover or seeing that Bethlehem stamp or X on the back cover. Then there are those San Francisco’s with marks on both sides. Many have such interesting back stories as well. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:23 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, Badger said:

I think he dumped most around 2008/2009 but I do not recall where I heard or read that.(shrug)

The rumor was that he was heavily invested in real estate when prices collapsed during the Financial Crisis in 2008/09.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:49 AM, adamstrange said:

As I understand it, this was done to fund his investment in a Maine real estate deal that later went south in the Financial Crisis.

Yes, I clearly remembered reading about that, as I believe he lost a whole ton of money on that development as it was definitely a case of bad timing with the whole sub-prime mortgage fiasco just about to take place back then.  Not sure if this is right or not, but did he try to pay everything off for himself and his partners, as best as he could before it just became to much to handle?  (shrug)

I guess the marina area in Baltimore was not the best place for real estate property investment in that particular situation, and certainly not like Hong Kong where @tth2 lives which is by far the most unaffordable city in the entire world.  Unfortunately, the median income levels in my city here is so low, that we are now the most unaffordable city in the entire Western hemisphere and now in the #2 spot as we have leapfrogged past Sydney, with Melbourne just missing the podium once again.  :censored: 

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, the median income levels in my city here is so low, that we are now the most unaffordable city in the entire Western hemisphere and now in the #2 spot as we have leapfrogged past Sydney, with Melbourne just missing the podium once again.  :censored: 

The good news is that you can just cash in on your massive Vancouver real estate holdings and buy a new home at a fraction of the cost in Regina.  Then you can use the excess proceeds to reassemble the Church collection!

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

The good news is that you can just cash in on your massive Vancouver real estate holdings and buy a new home at a fraction of the cost in Regina.  Then you can use the excess proceeds to reassemble the Church collection!

Well, I believe your plan here will work only if you have a time machine and can transport me back to 1977 so that I can get to the Church house just ahead of Chuckles with my $2,000 in cold hard cash.  :bigsmile:  :takeit: