• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible comic misprint or manufacturing error

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and I am really in need of help from some of the professionals on this board as cgc and myself are at odds over a comic that I had graded. Attached is a picture of the comic amazing spider-man that cgc graded for me and came back graded a 4. The grader's notes were extreme fading and therefore the 4. No other notes, I have contacted cgc through email and by phone and they insist that the comic is only faded even though it is missing lettering in 2 of the letter boxes and all of the yellow coloring on the page and all of the red on spider-man's costume....I only got this graded as I consider it a novelty and have only been a cgc member for less than a year but cannot understand why they cannot admit that they possibly made a mistake. I just received an email back from cgc saying that they talked to the grader's and it was insisted that multiple people looked over the comic to help make this determination....Curiously I ask, how does the sun decide to fade out all of the lettering in the letter boxes and not anywhere else...I will leave it up to you, the board to please help me understand the decision by cgc and thanks everyone for the help.

Daryl

20210216_131605.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

24 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

My guess would be that the white words/letters  aren't actually printed, it's just the negative space of where the red ink is not applied. You wouldn't print words on the cover in white, you'd just use the paper's natural white color. So when the red fades you get a completely white space?

This. If you look at an unfaded copy, you'll see that there's no border around the text in those boxes. So when the yellow and red ink fade out entirely (because those inks are more photosensitive), you're left with just a white space.

thanks for the thoughts everyone, btw did not get taken, I have had the comic for a long time in a collection that I bought some time back. Just that I have never seen a fade like that so kinda hard to understand but your imput is much appreciated. And the colour on the back is fine. Oh well, as was said, kind cool effect.

Also of note and just a thought, if there really was that much sun fade as is being suggested, and with that kind of paper, one would think that the front page would be completely discolored kind of like old newspapers and yet the front page is white and almost perfect... oh well, is what it is and thanks again everyone.

With this extreme cover fade but good page quality, this was very likely the victim of fluorescent lighting rather than traditional sun exposure. Regardless, the outcome is pretty striking on this cover; a lot of books that meet this rate just look... sad.