• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing an artists sketch from a cover

32 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

By default, I prefer Signature Series over Universal. I would love to have a Batman #227 with Neal Adams' signature on it.

Sketches are much more niche than just signatures.

I agree. There are threads here in the signature room where signed sketched are highlighted. I too prefer signature series. When given the option, I will buy an artist/writer signed book over a plain cover. it gives me a connection to a person I admire and yet will probably not meet and speak with. But my line gets crossed when out of place sketches are added. Like a terrible Frank Miller drawing on a 9.8 B:DKR #1. That wrecks the look for me. With this 9.6 as an example and the way the market s right now with me buying "trash" and others paying huge sums of money for fairly common books, the fact that the book has been for sale for so long might indicate others may see it and go "Ew".

I was only wondering if the paint pen could be removed with minimal damage but I suppose it is beside the point. The "Bat" jaw line has been highlighted with black sharpie. Look even worse w/o the silver. As I say, I lament it was a 9.6 that took the hit and not  5.0. Adams is in it to make a living and more power to him. It's a job. I'm not certain if I were him and someone presented me this book to draw on if I would not try to talk the owner out of it. But that's my own thing.

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Sorry I guess I should've said "They're the same in the sense that the grade given to both ignores the obvious "defects".

That's an interesting take! One I had not considered. I have seen blue label books with a sig on the first page noted. If it's the cover, it gets a green. If it's witnessed, yellow. Fascinating.

2 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Yellow labels are qualified as they ignore the scribbling on the cover when graded.

Ignore? They seem to fully embrace a signature/sketch on the cover. I always looked at yellow as its own category. Like green and purple. I saw a Bat 1 in a purple holder that only had its cover clean. It was a 9.0. (I believe) It was on Heritages site. That is an example of a purple label I would ignore all day long. In fact, that is the ONLY book I would crack and put in a top loader keeping the label. What a beauty that one is.

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

Chemically cleaned though right?

Oh yes. And yet still. I'm not a fan of restored per se. That was one book that sold for a REALLY low price and only had its cover cleaned. I would welcome that into my house with streamers, cake and its own bedroom. Dang it's a nice book. Thats a Bat 1 9.0 with its cover cleaned. No pieces added or trimming or color touch. Dirt removed.

The sketch is so intrusive, I would almost feel like I wanted a second "display" copy if I bought the sketched 9.6. Which probably wouldn't be a welcome feeling after dropping ten grand.

11 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

The book is graded as if the signature is not there. They ignore the signature for grading purposes.

That is certainly something I had not considered. It doesn't matter to me at all, I guess. I like SS books and would buy a green label if it were the right book. Bat 222 seems to have a manufacturing problem with many of them having the lower staple unsticking. So the centerfold or the front cover becomes detached. They get a green label.

2 minutes ago, Point Five said:

The sketch is so intrusive, I would almost feel like I wanted a second "display" copy if I bought the sketched 9.6. Which probably wouldn't be a welcome feeling after dropping ten grand.

Agreed. The 9.6 is a "red headed step child" in my eyes. No offense to all the red headed step children reading this thread, of course. I just wouldn't know where else to go with that book. 9.4? DANG! I HAVE a 9.6 but Adams drew a cameo on it! Do I want to spend $30k on Metro's 9.8? Not. NOT! I guess the good thing is I won't buy the sketched 9.6 or Metro's 9.8, rendering the problem moot.

It'd be funny if I brought a 9.6 to Adams to have it signed and he suddenly went glazed eyed and muttered "Must draw...CAMEO...on...COVER!" LOL! Hey back off, Adams.

I would not consider the book ruined or desecrated - but neither would I want to own it unless it was a great price. 

The problem for most people including myself is the cover is iconic. It's perfect as is.  I'd be fine with Adam's signature (I'd be fine without it too) but the primitive sketch can only detract from the cover, not add to it. 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, Angel of Death said:

By default, I prefer Signature Series over Universal. I would love to have a Batman #227 with Neal Adams' signature on it.

Sketches are much more niche than just signatures.

Same! I love meeting the creators at conventions and having them sign my books. Personally I don’t think sketches or signatures ruin a book at all, rather creates a personal story for that book. 

Personally I'm not a fan of any artist sketching, doodling, or whatever on a cover (not including modern blank covers in that. I know nothing of modern books) . Hulk 181 seems to be a book that happens to more often than others. If I was wanting an artist sketch I would rather just have it on a piece of paper, a napkin, my butt...